Meigs Field

Mahesh

I flew yesterday on a direct flight from IAD to SJC. Of course I had my nose glued to the window all 5.2 hours. We flew over Chicago and luckily, it was clear by then and I saw Ohare and a runway right next to the skyscrapers which I assume was Meigs Field.

Unless I was dreaming, I could clearly see the Xs on the runway. What a sad sight.

I find it amazing that what the mayor did was not illegal.
mad.gif

Mahesh

Yeah, that really sucks. The mayor justs acts like he's a dictator and bulldozes the runway at night time. Unfortunately, there's not much pilots can do about it either.

Not only a dictator, but a criminal. Criminals do things like that, so does the mafia, and so do terrorists. Daley is scum, and I hope he rots for this.
mad.gif
mad.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I flew yesterday on a direct flight from IAD to SJC. Of course I had my nose glued to the window all 5.2 hours.

[/ QUOTE ]

How can you guys do that? I literally sleep 90% of the flight (I have slept through take off, woken up 3-5 miles out, slept on the floor, etc) . I plan everything around going to sleep on the airplane. IMHO it is the best way to travel.

I do the oppisite, I try to stay awake the whole trip, that way when you get there your super tired, goto bed at the correct time in the new time zone and wake up at the right time back on schdule, and walla no jet lag. Least that's how I do it.

Sleep on take off? aw that's the 2nd best part!
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I plan everything around going to sleep on the airplane.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hope you don't plan that when your flying the plane! lol I heard about one guy in a twin fell asleep on the auto pilot and woke up to the sound of the engines running out of fuel about 70miles off the coast of Floria! Luckly a Coast Guard plane was around to hear his mayday.

Hello Freak,

Thanks for the AOPA link. Let's see...$40 Million for the airfield...400,000 members...that's $100 per...I'd spring for an extra $20 per year for the next 5 years to be a part owner. It'b be cool for AOPA to have it's own airport! . How about the rest of you?

Thanks,

JR

I'd be up for increasing AOPA dues. Maybe they can build a section for kids to learn about aviation. Since the stupid Mayor supposedly did this to build a park for kids. I hate it when people use children as an excuse for their actions.

I couldn't sleep on that flight from some reason. There was a solid layer up to the great lakes but still I sat there, looking at the clouds pass by.

The pilot said that ATC was available on channel 9 but then I guess they forgot to turn it on. I was going to ask but then decided that someone may freak out and arrest me.

I think there is a whole different type of fun with flying high. I had as much fun looking out the window so high up as I do puttering along in a Cessna. Now if I could only be in the cockpit in the airbus!
tongue.gif

Mahesh

I still think it would be a cool idea to bulldoze the streets around the mayor's house. When he asks why just remind him of the federal building in Oklahoma.

[ QUOTE ]
How can you guys do that? I literally sleep 90% of the flight (I have slept through take off, woken up 3-5 miles out, slept on the floor, etc) . I plan everything around going to sleep on the airplane. IMHO it is the best way to travel.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have never fallen asleep on a plane before. Besides the fact that my eyes are glued to the window, the shaking of the plane and the loud engines are too much for me to sleep.

[ QUOTE ]
I still think it would be a cool idea to bulldoze the streets around the mayor's house. When he asks why just remind him of the federal building in Oklahoma.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why leave his house standing? Of course he is probably leeching off of city property and living in a Mayor's mansion or something.

Mahesh

Yeah there are some flights where you do not want to go to sleep, however on the flights I usually fly (LAX-LHR or LHR-LAX) or short trips domestic trips you can usually get away with sleeping most of the flight.
Although I once flew from LAX to BOS (leaving 22:30 at night) slept the whole way. We arrived in BOS at 07:00 (I think) and did not leave till 11:00. I slept the BOS-LHR leg too (that was a great flight I was adopted by 2 15 year old girls, I also got upgraded to Business; NICE). We landed at LHR at 23:30 I made it back to Buckingham by 02:30 where I went to bed till 09:30 in the morning. That was an aweful lot of sleeping!
I remember on a direct UA flight from LAX-LHR (another great flight, I had a model sit next to me; NICE) east of Ireland I was asleep and we hit some pretty rough air. It was to the point where people were screaming, and there was a second maybe 2 of weightlessness. Ofcourse I acted like a scared passenger and the girl next to me held my hand; NICE!! I was more pissed taht it interupted my sleep. The funny thing about that was my dad was on the AA direct flight (15-20 minutes behind us) and he did not hit this rough air; did they go around it after we found it, or did it just vanish.

[ QUOTE ]
[

Why leave his house standing? Of course he is probably leeching off of city property and living in a Mayor's mansion or something.

Mahesh

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is the demise of Meigs seemingly so suprising? Airport ops are being curtailed everywhere with noise abatement procedures, pattern changes, etc. Just take a look at Scottsdale Airport; they have their own 1-800 noise complaint hotline for all the snobs living around the field. Never mind the field has been there for years prior to anyone living up that way (I remember); even Williams Gateway is gettinga rash of noise complaints from new homes being built near the field. But what's happening with Meigs isn't too surprising. Bulldozing the mayor's house won't do anything about it. People did nothing about the Meigs debacle in Chicago, and they're doing nothing about it here in AZ. So these "pieces of concrete" called airports are going to start going away and being shoved (in the case of AZ further and further out into the desert). And the sad thing is, the average populace doesn't even care.

It probable won't be too many years when Gila Bend Airport starts getting noise complaints. It's already happening too at Chandler and Stellar airports in AZ.

[ QUOTE ]
It was to the point where people were screaming

[/ QUOTE ]

I HATE when adults start screaming when a plane hits turbulence. How will yelling about it make it any better? It really makes me wonder how these people would behvae in a real emergency.

Mike,
You have a very good point. The only people who care about these airports are people like us. And that is a very small percentage of the population.
It makes me sooooo mad when people buy houses next to airports that have been there since before they were even born and then complain about noise and petition for the airports to be closed.
My own cousin does that. She bought her house near the airport I fly out of, JYO, in Leesburg, VA. Now she is like "I hope they close the airport, it is so noisy". No Sh#& Sherlock. You didn't hear the noise when you went to see the house thousands of times when it was being built????
Sorry, this is a touchy topic for me. Just to teach these people a lesson, I hope that more companies base their corprate jets out of JYO, and have lots of 6:00 AM departures.
grin.gif

Mahesh

[ QUOTE ]
Mike,
. She bought her house near the airport I fly out of, JYO, in Leesburg, VA. Now she is like "I hope they close the airport, it is so noisy". No Sh#& Sherlock. You didn't hear the noise when you went to see the house thousands of times when it was being built????
Sorry, this is a touchy topic for me. Just to teach these people a lesson, I hope that more companies base their corprate jets out of JYO, and have lots of 6:00 AM departures.
grin.gif

Mahesh

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Like people that move next to an Air Force Base, then complain that it's noisy and they weren't told there was an air base next to them; they must have moved in on a Sunday or federal holiday or something......

Best thing I loved when I used to fly out of Scottsdale (noise abatement hell) was when some of the corporate jets would do their early morning departures. And I don't mean your average corporate jet; I mean an older Sabreliner 40 that has the J60 straight-turbojets (not fans, you know, the engines that convert raw fuel into raw thrust, are noisy and smoky as hell?) doing an early morning takeoff and just rattling EVERYTHING with the noise.

Here at my base, we had an E-3 AWACS come in one Friday night @2215 to practice some approaches prior to landing. While it was doing it's go arounds from the ILS approaches, someone got the tower number and called directly to make a noise complaint "of the huge airplane flying right over my house". The tower supervisor asked the caller if she could "actually see the aircraft passing overhead". "Yes, and it's loud and keeping me awake". Tower Sup asks if she "could see any red star markings underneath the wings". "No" was the reply. Sup replies "Then we're doing our freaking job, ma'am. Be advised this is an ATC facility and you are affecting our ops. Don't call here again."

[ QUOTE ]
Tower Sup asks if she "could see any red star markings underneath the wings". "No" was the reply. Sup replies "Then we're doing our freaking job, ma'am. Be advised this is an ATC facility and you are affecting our ops. Don't call here again."

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL! Good one!
grin.gif

My parents live near Langley AFB in Hampton, VA. Those F-15s are LOUD! They sound like they are right over you but if you look outside, you can barely see them, they are so high up.

I think everyone in Hampton have accepted the AFB since most businesses depend on the base. They woulnd't dare complain!

Mahesh

[ QUOTE ]
No Sh#& Sherlock. You didn't hear the noise when you went to see the house thousands of times when it was being built????

[/ QUOTE ]

I with you on this one, Mahesh.

Airport nazis are a huge problem in Florida. In Vero Beach, letters to the editor from people who hated the airport were an almost daily occurrence. People who had lived there for 2-3 years wanted to move an airport that had been there since before WWII because they didn't like the noise.

Well, sorry dude, but you should have thought of that before you bought the house. Is it the county's fault that you didn't do your homework?

I think that realtors should be required to have buyers sign a disclosure that they are aware that their new home is close to an airport. By signing the disclosure, they would forfeit their right to complain.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Tower Sup asks if she "could see any red star markings underneath the wings". "No" was the reply. Sup replies "Then we're doing our freaking job, ma'am. Be advised this is an ATC facility and you are affecting our ops. Don't call here again."

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL! Good one!
grin.gif

My parents live near Langley AFB in Hampton, VA. Those F-15s are LOUD! They sound like they are right over you but if you look outside, you can barely see them, they are so high up.

I think everyone in Hampton have accepted the AFB since most businesses depend on the base. They woulnd't dare complain!

Mahesh

[/ QUOTE ]

To be fair, most military bases have quiet hours and only fly late nights one week out of the month in order to maintain good relations with their neighbors. But some of the neighbors still think that's not enough.

Back