MEI Initial Checkride

RitzFlyer

I will be taking my initial MEI checkride on july 31st with the Alleghany (Pittsburg, PA) FSDO. any advice?

Make sure the plane has been to the FSDO before. If not, I wouldn't count on the airplane making it through the FSDO maintenance inspection. They ALWAYS find something wrong with it if they are not familiar with it.

Good luck!

Make sure the plane has been to the FSDO before. If not, I wouldn't count on the airplane making it through the FSDO maintenance inspection. They ALWAYS find something wrong with it if they are not familiar with it.

Good luck!

Exactly, I did the MEI as the initial and I dont think the FSDO examiner ever had any intention of flying. He grounded the airplane within the first 2 minutes and then wrote up 20 random squawks and told us to call him when it was done.

I jumped through 10,000 hoops and went to a designated examiner for my initial MEI after that instead of messing around with the FSDO.

Good luck!

I did my initial CFI-A in my own airplane. I called the FSDO and asked for a courtesy inspection of my airplane and its logbooks a few weeks before my checkride. They sent an inspector out and he spent a few hours going over everything with a fine tooth comb.

The MEI initial was not too bad. Most of it is just knowledge of single-engine ops which you have down pat by now. And that pesky FOI.

You don't need to worry about eights-on-pylons, steep sprials, chandelles or lazy eights.

Go to Miami and have them do the initial ride. They will just give you a DPE 95% of the time for your initial.

Back