Medevac and LZ?

I think I’d rather land on a baseball field. Every hospital helipad I see has light poles and wires right next to it.

If it’s a ground level helipad, it has to be adjacent or close to the ER entrance, and that’s going be next to or close to the building. Which is ringed with light poles and power poles. Unfortunately, comes with the territory if there’s not a second/third etc floor ER with adjacent helipad, or a rooftop helipad.

I think I’d rather land on a baseball field. Every hospital helipad I see has light poles and wires right next to it.

I can’t fit on pretty much any pad save for ones specially designed.

For most metro areas and trauma centers with designated landing pads there is a known ambulance exchange location that local crews would be familiar with.

Otherwise and honestly more useful in some places ATC and airports will coordinate a tail to door transfer on the airfield in question. That’s actually a far simpler process and less time consuming than attempting to invent a “hey let’s do it here” only to find out the ground Ambulance can’t easily get to you and now your litter patient has to be transported by hand to get to it or potentially somewhere else due to being totally blocked off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can’t fit on pretty much any pad save for ones specially designed.

For most metro areas and trauma centers with designated landing pads there is a known ambulance exchange location that local crews would be familiar with.

Otherwise and honestly more useful in some places ATC and airports will coordinate a tail to door transfer on the airfield in question. That’s actually a far simpler process and less time consuming than attempting to invent a “hey let’s do it here” only to find out the ground Ambulance can’t easily get to you and now your litter patient has to be transported by hand to get to it or potentially somewhere else due to being totally blocked off.

About 8 yrs ago, the gov’t paid to put a 30k pad at the KU medical center because H60s couldn’t fit. Wasn’t size one of the reasons they went with a COTS purchase for CONUS medevac?

An S76 is about 12k and even the AW139 is about 15k.

Is there a GW+ factor?

Gross weight is always the Go/No-go for me and any other large aircraft. A Hawk you’re talking a 20K+ helicopter depending on what kind of gas they have. I’d be lucky to be under 40k.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gross weight is always the Go/No-go for me and any other large aircraft. A Hawk you’re talking a 20K+ helicopter depending on what kind of gas they have. I’d be lucky to be under 40k.

Just the back wheels...G2G. :cool:

for rooftop or elevated helipads, always a consideration indeed. Ground helipads are nice for not having to worry about that......assuming they’re concrete which they should be.

for rooftop or elevated helipads, always a consideration indeed. Ground helipads are nice for not having to worry about that......assuming they’re concrete which they should be.

I may know a guy who totally jacked up the concrete at a tiny little airfield in the middle of nowhere with his CH-47F because he landed with near empty tanks and departed full.

Concrete was fine... until taxi...

Send your bill care of US Army...

Damn good story, Lawman!!

Til COVID rolled in...we had an emergency management exercise planned in the State I am in....those were the exact things the Guard SAO rep and I were discussing with gung ho emergency managers, hospital types, and others........

When considering other than your normal MEDEVAC with std to medium helicopters....please consider your concrete and please tell us how thick you poured it

Paralleling that , I can now see why tree trimming companies may or may not drop wood chipos for folks on their driveways

I may know a guy who totally jacked up the concrete at a tiny little airfield in the middle of nowhere with his CH-47F because he landed with near empty tanks and departed full.

Concrete was fine... until taxi...

Send your bill care of US Army...

Ha! Didn’t he check the VFR/IFR supp for runway weights like the stump the dummie Rucker IPs like to ask about? Lol.

Our morons put out a bunch of money for a new help landing area, went cheap and used asphalt. Great until summer here in AZ. Even light helos sinking through it.

Ha! Didn’t he check the VFR/IFR supp for runway weights like the stump the dummie Rucker IPs like to ask about? Lol.

Our morons put out a bunch of money for a new help landing area, went cheap and used asphalt. Great until summer here in AZ. Even light helos sinking through it.

Runway weights, not taxiway (or sod). And not limiting, just a should check before landing.

<—— Irritated SP who gets annoyed when pilots say they can’t shoot an approach to an airport due to runway bearing strength. “You can hover over it, can’t you!?!?”

Runway weights, not taxiway (or sod). And not limiting, just a should check before landing.

<—— Irritated SP who gets annoyed when pilots say they can’t shoot an approach to an airport due to runway bearing strength. “You can hover over it, can’t you!?!?”

Nobody checks those, ha! Until their aircraft breaks the runway.

Shouldn’t you have chitcanned this info by now since the ACUs became Epaulettes and tie wear? :) (Retired, correct?)

Nobody checks those, ha! Until their aircraft breaks the runway.

Shouldn’t you have chitcanned this info by now since the ACUs became Epaulettes and tie wear? :) (Retired, correct?)

Well... about that... Epaulettes and Tie International decided my services weren’t required come October. My retirement would have been next week, but it turns out that would be fiscally irresponsible now so I’m back.

Last edited:
Well... about that... Epaulettes and Tie International decided my service weren’t required come October. My retirement would have been next week, but it turns out that would be fiscally irresponsible now so I’m back.

If the epaulettes are all that important, do an IST to the Space Force. Apparently, you might get to dress like this. (I know it’s an old British uniform, but the epaulettes are really outta this world!)

Back