Medevac and LZ?

killbilly

Vocals, Lyrics, Triangle, Washboard, Kittens
If a helo has to do a medevac out in the field, do they coordinate with ground assets to clear a safe LZ for the medevac?

Adding context: I'm asking because of the video of the low-hovering Lakota during the protests the other night. I don't know squat about helo ops or how the National Guard does things....it looked awfully low and between some pretty tall buildings, so I'm wondering if there was a medevac call...and if so, would there be ground units prepping the area?

I don't know how these things work.

If a helo has to do a medevac out in the field, do they coordinate with ground assets to clear a safe LZ for the medevac?

Adding context: I'm asking because of the video of the low-hovering Lakota during the protests the other night. I don't know squat about helo ops or how the National Guard does things....it looked awfully low and between some pretty tall buildings, so I'm wondering if there was a medevac call...and if so, would there be ground units prepping the area?

It depends. if a helo is going to land on anywhere other than an actual helipad or airport (ie- a street, or out in the field), then it’s smart to have someone to coordinate with. Civilian medevac companies have company SOPs for landing off-field in unprepared areas, for day or for night.

basically, it depends on who we are talking about and where they are landing.

It depends. if a helo is going to land on anywhere other than an actual helipad or airport (ie- a street, or out in the field), then it’s smart to have someone to coordinate with. Civilian medevac companies have company SOPs for landing off-field in unprepared areas, for day or for night.

basically, it depends on who we are talking about and where they are landing.

Gracias. Appreciate the quick answer.

For an advanced multi-engine helicopter, what is “awfully low?”

Was it a medevac helicopter? If so, and this is complete speculation, it’s probably unlikely an Army National Guard helicopter was on a true medevac mission given certain rules. But it’s possible.

Was it a medevac helicopter? If so, and this is complete speculation, it’s probably unlikely an Army National Guard helicopter was on a true medevac mission given certain rules. But it’s possible.

They never landed, just hovered over protestors
bb86a04d6b9c9c07eecda129bf62dd8d.jpg

Hard to tell from video artifacts, but 100' AGL was a reasonable estimate. It was the UH-72 Lakota of the DC National Guard.

I wouldn't be afraid of one of them little helicopters. Now a Chinook down that low? That would get my attention. Everyone would run away but I'd just sit there and think how cool it is.

When I was in EMS we would set up LZ for medevac helicopters on scene calls. They would generally be in contact with a battalion chief on a mutual aid frequency

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hard to tell from video artifacts, but 100' AGL was a reasonable estimate. It was the UH-72 Lakota of the DC National Guard.

Just a copy of my response from a different thread:

If the intent was to disperse the crowd that didn't seem to work. I've got a bunch of opinions on this I don't really don't have the time to write properly, but I will say from the way I see it is wasn't a dangerous situation (for the people on the ground) as depicted in that video.

The pilots are going to be punished for following orders? That’ll be just great for morale. Or am I reading that wrong?

Yea, that’s the way I read it.

That and the flashback to micromanagement stories from the 60s and 70s was concerning. The Secretary of the Army was directing the specific actions of individual aircraft.

Yea, that’s the way I read it.

That and the flashback to micromanagement stories from the 60s and 70s was concerning. The Secretary of the Army was directing the specific actions of individual aircraft.
And then crucifying the folks that did what he told them to do. FUBAR

This brings up another issue—the DCARNG was not on federal status. Sec Army giving orders for Title 32 soldiers? @MikeFavinger

Another thing, since DC is somewhat unique and there isn’t a governor, the AG for DC answers to...?

I think I’d rather land on a baseball field. Every hospital helipad I see has light poles and wires right next to it.

Back