Mars: Let's hear some feedback on the issue.

Soon2bMarAce

Mars: Let\'s hear some feedback on the issue.

I would really like to hear people's thoughts about the decision to go back to the moon and ultimately have a manned mission to Mars.

My opinion: It is about time that a serious discussion concerning going to Mars is had. This effort will inspire many people and ultimately improve many people's quality of life. A manned mission will reap new technologies and other benefits that are unquantifiable. Go to Mars no matter what the cost.

What do you think?

Re: Mars: Let\'s hear some feedback on the issue.

I’m undecided. Other than a psychological boost I have not heard a single other benefit for a manned flight to Mars. I keep hearing respectable scientists claim that the money would be much better spent on more thorough use of the remote technology that we have now. I guess I need to hear a compelling argument for why we need a manned flight to Mars. Specifically what do we gain from the massive additional cost of sending a person vs. exploiting remote vehicles? I am not against the idea yet, but I have yet to hear a knowledgeable source claim it was a good idea at this point in time.

It certainly does peak ones imagination... and imagine being the first human to set foot on another planet! Neil Armstrong eat you’re heart out baby
smile.gif

If it can be done while still cutting spending ( which hasn't been done yet) then it is fine by me. If we are going to have to pay for it with our almost maxed out federal visa then I say no. My feeling is that if it is enough of a priority then lets reduce spending on other things.

I’m all for anything that gets us back into space in a meaningful way. The shuttle was a flawed project form the start and earth orbit does little to inspire future generations to dream big dreams. The Apollo program ranks among the greatest in mans achievements and it’s a shame we’ve waited almost 40 years to follow up on it.

Our Government squanders billions every year just in bureaucratic BS. So, the money is there we just need to ferret it out and spend it on something that elevates the hopes of all mankind.

On the fence here.

I'd like to see it in my life time. But, I'd like to see this country a bit more financially sound first.

I think of it like this.

Kristie wants a pool. I want a pool too. It'd be extraordinarily kickin' to have a pool in the back yard.

We took out a HELOC to get rid of those scum-sucking credit cards and we're paying it off and do some home repairs.

If we get a pool, which we both want, while we're paying off the HELOC, I think we'd be fiscally unresponsible.

One day, yes, but I think our nation is in debt up to it's eyeballs and keeps passing deficit-widening budgets before the Mars program even starts?

Yes, lets go to Mars, but economically and fiscally, it's not the time.

Our future is in space.

I'd like to see money re-oriented to focus on technology. It always pays off in the long run.

Honestly what good does it do us spending millions or even billions of dollars going to a planet that we have no chance of ever inhabiting???? I believe the cost of these latest mars expeditions neared one billion dollars. I mean so the planet may have once had water or even life, it doesnt really matter. The point is that we are facing some of the biggest budget deficits either. I think we need to focus on earthly matters for now. Maybe if there was a more economical way to get there. Lets focus on figuring everything out here on earth first before we try and figure another planet out. The only thing in outer space we should be worrying about right now is keeping those satelites going so we dont have to rely on older navigation means
cool.gif

I'm with Cosmo on this one. I guess I just don't see what the major benefits are that justify spending billions of dollars on the program.

[ QUOTE ]
Honestly what good does it do us spending millions or even billions of dollars going to a planet that we have no chance of ever inhabiting????

[/ QUOTE ]

I can think of similar arguments against aviation from 100 years ago. I mean, "no chance of ever inhabiting" is a strong sentence. Maybe "slim chance in the next 20 years" would be better. It is hard to know where the future will take us, especially 100, 200, or even 1000 years from now. Who among our ancestors would have thought aviation would be where it is today. Even Orville and Wilbur would be astonished!

I understand the arguments against missions to Mars, etc. But I do think that it is in our long term best interest to explore beyond this Planet, and acquire the technology to colonize elsewhere. Our population is growing so quickly, that eventually we are either going to have to export people off the planet, or begin imposing reproduction restrictions. It is just a matter of time.

Now, that doesn't mean we have to bankrupt a nation in the process. Slow, steady progress is reasonable, even responsible.

That's my peice anyway...

Grayson

You both have no sense of adventure or exploration! I don't know if it currently is econimically feasible, but it is definately be a great goal for the future. While it will cost a lot of money, it will be a multidecade project will will also create jobs and new technologies.

Look up one night when mars is faintly visible in the sky, and imagine men walking along the surface on that distant dot. I for one would like to see it in my life time, though that may be thirty years from now.

It would be cool, but I think we could use the money else where right now.

Or maybe we should just spend the money we already have better
cool.gif

Edit Or just get Microsoft to sponsor it, C'mon Billy Boy, we can go to mars 5 times and back.
grin.gif

In an ideal world I think it would be great to explore other planets. I just dont think the cost is worth the benefits.. As it currently stands mars is uninhabitable. Maybe someday it will be cheaper to get there but until there is a way to explore mars without spending $500 million up to $1 billion dollars each time I think our money is better spent on trying to fix problems here on our planet.. Lets wait until we at least have a surplus. The deficits we are facing now are bigger than anything we have ever seen in this country. I think it would be reckless to blow that much dough on exploring an uninhabitable planet. We still have a lot of work to do on earth.

Cosmo1999 and friends 100 years ago.

"Aviation is a waste of time. After all, we can't LIVE in the sky, why try to fly? Why do we need to fly anyway? We have cars and horses!"

[/sarcasm]

Well there is a bit of a difference here in 2004. I agree that we need to be thinking about space and keep pushing what is possible. I question though if this is the correct method and time. We will also benefit greatly if we keep working with unmanned vehicles and we will spend much less money. I am not hearing any reason why a manned trip is more beneficial than an unmanned one at this point and that is keeping me on the fence leaning toward the “it’s not a good idea” side. A century ago folks did not believe flight was possible and even if it was that it could be used in a way to benefit man. I think everyone now agrees that we can go to Mars and that it would benefit us. It just appears to me that we can get the same benefit in much cheaper ways.

As people have already said, it would probably be best to wait until the nation is in better fiscal shape. Granted there is a massive amount of government waste that could and should be trimmed, but I would rather see a whole bunch of other things that are currently under funded dealt with first. For now lets max out what can be done with remote technology.

I'd be a little leery about sending a man to Mars when we have problems with unmanned robots there. I also don't know just how we could get enough supplies for a multi man crew to get to Mars and back.

Ahhh but a good number of advances in aviation came from people spending their own money and tinkering with it. Yes the government also contributed but also a large number of advances were made by people paying out of their own pocket to make better, faster airplanes. Too much government spending to goto Mars right now. Again its something thats fun to try when the government has a surplus of money not a deficit the size of who knows what. When we have the surplus money to go explore thats fine but its quite another thing to throw another few billion dollars out there at this point in time. I stand by my statement on mars. It is uninhabitable as of now. Once we can find away to recreate the atmosphere and control weather then it would truly be worthwhile to goto mars and see what we can do. Im not saying its impossible but we have a long ways to go and it would be nice to focus on fixing earth for now..

I really don't think NASA is the right organization to pull it off. Hugely bureaucratic, depends on the government dole and is more or less a political pawn.

Let's make it interesting and see what private enterprise could spawn. Gather the best minds from around the world, throw in a Rutan or two and see what we can come up with on a global scale.

Talk about a potentially world unifying project if we de-politicized it.

Back