Mars: Let's hear some feedback on the issue.

Re: Mars: Let\'s hear some feedback on the issue.

[ QUOTE ]
Okay, so I'll be showing my lefty commie roots here, but so be it.

Instead of devoting money to putting a man on Mars, why don't we do something like devoting it to producing an alternate method for fueling our transportation infrastructure?

For all the advances we've seen in the past 100 years in virtually everything -- we went from cloth planes to hypersonic spy planes, from computers that took up rooms and needed refrigeration systems to ones that fit in the palm of your hand, and so on -- we've relied on the same fuel.

You want a difficult project? We'd only have to find a way to make something so efficient that it gets people to abandon the fossil fuel based systems we have now.

You want a definite payoff? Well, wouldn't it be nice to tell OPEC to go stick it where the sun don't shine since we don't need their oil anymore? Wouldn't it be nice to have a clean, non-polluting source of energy?

I'd rather see our scarce resources devoted to that than putting a man on Mars.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you that we need to tell OPEC to shove it. They lead us around by the nose with their pricing tactics and production quotas.

The funny thing is that OPEC has already appealed to the UN (I think it was the UN but dont quote me on it) about getting subsidies when we find a green source of energy. They are already have more money than they no what to do with, but they want a handout? Give me a break!!!

[ QUOTE ]
So money is more important than Human Destiny?

[/ QUOTE ]

If it is "Human Destiny" it will happen when it is supposed to happen. I am much more concerned with affordable health care in my lifetime than I am with seeing a human on Mars. If we can do both that would be great, but I would like to see other issues on Earth we could also call "Human Destiny" taken care of first. For example the way things are headed right now it will be human destiny to populate, pollute, and trash every square inch of this planet. I would like to see that destiny altered before we go and start messing up the next planet.

[ QUOTE ]
Wasting trillions in tax dollars just to say -we, mankind have been there is Asinine!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm certainly glad that you weren't living next door the the Wright Brothers, or drinking buddies with Charles Lindbergh.....

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Wasting trillions in tax dollars just to say -we, mankind have been there is Asinine!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm certainly glad that you weren't living next door the the Wright Brothers, or drinking buddies with Charles Lindbergh.....

[/ QUOTE ]

read my first post, I never said I don't support space exploration dammit, It's just stupid to think we should go to mars just to say we've been there, thats all I was trying to say!

Ah, but the SMART oil companies will get on the bandwagon so that they don't become obsolete.

Corporate Darwinism, my friend!

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The Wright's didn't use tax money to invent an airplane. It was a private venture. It wouldn't have mattered if he lived next to them or not. He couldn't influence the choice and it wasn't his money anyway. This is a federal idea, using federal money that in case you missed it, we don't have. $540 Billion dollar deficit, national debt of $7,021,661,950,012.48 as of 830 AM EST. That is $23,942 per person in this country. And we want to add this on top of all of that???

Its not a lack of spirit of adventure to realize the problems with the money amount listed above.

Back