Maneuvers in IMC

[ QUOTE ]
Dude, check out the Relief Band for the sickness. I have been using it for a few weeks now and no problems at all. It has 5 intensity levels and I have inly used 2. I am afraid to use level 5, I think it might cause me to pass out.
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Have always wondered if those things worked.....I'm going to have to try one. I actually haven't gotten sick in a loonnnnngggg time, but then again, I haven't been up with a student on a summer day since I was one, either...lol.

[ QUOTE ]
I have to keep the air blowing in the airplane....because I get airsick in the bumps

[/ QUOTE ]
Note to self: Make sure air vents are working if I ever fly with MTSU.
blush.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have to keep the air blowing in the airplane....because I get airsick in the bumps

[/ QUOTE ]
Note to self: Make sure air vents are working if I ever fly with MTSU.
blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah, you know it!! I'm the only guy flying around in December with every vent opened wide, and the heat cranked all the way!!!
grin.gif

What exactly are cfis supposed to teach their students? doing maneuvers in imc is careless and reckless operation of an a/c...
Aren't you supposed to clear the area around your a/c before initiating a maneuver??
Oregon is not the best state to teach vfr, but hey, even in cali, when the weather is not good enough, I just don't go. That shows 2 things: 1) you demonstrate the student that you follow the guidelines that you teach him, respect for the fars. 2) safe decision making. Remenber, your attitude toward flying is the first experience that your student get, and you all know the law of primacy. By doing maneuvers in imc, you are showing your student that the rules don't apply to everybody, and you create a dangerous state of mind in your students.
Just like someone was saying, never did it, and will never do it.

We're not talking about private pilots here-we're talking about training for an ATP rating so we're a little late to be worrying about primacy and teaching judgement. Pilots at this level should be able to do just about anything in IMC, and this is supported by the fact that the entire ATP checkride is done under the hood and can be done in IMC. Training in IMC carries more risk, but is hardly reckless.

you are wrong, the check-ride can not be done entirely in imc. the maneuver portion is done in vmc. The student is under the hood, but not the instructor. Even though you are teaching atp students, until he passes his ride, he just a com pilot, and you don't stop learning the second you become an atp. Doing maneuvers in imc, people do it every day I suppose, and most of them survive. But why put yourself and your student in a situation that could potentially be fatal? Flying is dangerous enough, and tempting the devil and none of my business. I try to teach safe flight, and doing maneuvers in imc does not fit my definition of safe flight.

No, you are wrong. The entire ATP checkride is done in actual or simulated instrument conditions. Read the PTS.

[ QUOTE ]
The entire ATP checkride is done in actual or simulated instrument conditions. Read the PTS.

[/ QUOTE ]

This might be splitting hairs, but if you are in simulated would that not generally be the same as VMC (at least for the Instructor).
confused.gif

Yeah, but the point is that it makes no difference for the applicant whether they file and get a block of airspace to use for maneuvering in IMc or fly around with the hood on.

I agree, it makes no difference for the student, but it does for the instructor, and this is what I am concerned about.
I don't know of a de who would do the maneuvers in imc... So if they don't do it, why should I??

At our school we don't do certain maneuvers in IMC like unusual attitudes or steep turns. Since an unusual attitude is defined in the AIM as any attitude not normally used in regular flight, doing things like a steep turn and stalls in IMC you are intentionally putting the airplane into an unusual attitude to perform them. Not worth the risk, these things can be done perfectly well in VMC with the foggles.

[ QUOTE ]
I agree, it makes no difference for the student, but it does for the instructor, and this is what I am concerned about.
I don't know of a de who would do the maneuvers in imc... So if they don't do it, why should I??

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point.
confused.gif
I'm going to stop doing them for now, and focus on finding a DE who does maneuvers in IMC. Then, I guess, it will be OK to start doing them again. (just kidding)

Seriously, doing maneuvers in IMC carries more risk than in VMC. But more risk doesn't necessarily make it dangerous.
That would be like saying an instrument rated pilot should not fly IMC because VMC is less risky. It really gets down to setting realistic limits.

Back