Male Chauvinism?

Not to stir the pot, BUT I hope you guys aren't denying that chauvinism CAN play a part in this behavior. There are some men who just can't wrap their little heads around a woman teaching them something, especially in a very non-feminine career such as a pilot.

I had an old boss at my previous school that would stick up for his flight instructors no matter what. I really liked that. My current boss has the attitude of "customers are always right" and it almost drives me insane. I work twice as hard trying to please the student and "maybe" ;) giving them false encouragement so they wont run to my boss and tell him how bad hes doing cause my boss would agree with him and downplay me.

I once had a female student that told me to shutup and she could do it on her own. so I did, just looked out the window. After a few minutes of fumbling around she apologized (and really meant it), asked for my help and went on to successfully pass her course. I think it helped me realize not to nag so much about all their faults for the entire lesson.

TP,

I must say that as part of my strategy for getting to where I'm going in my aviation career, I've given some thought to seeking out a Female IP for my instruction. Why? Well, I've thought about all the times in corporate, when I trained on something by a Woman. Each time, we connected both professionally and personally. Each time, there was a great Teacher/Student relationship. But, more than that, I found that often times, Females tend to make better teachers for a number of different reasons. Now, I know how that is going to play with the Boys, but just hold on for a minute.

One of the reasons our school systems are failing at such an alarming rate around the country, has a lot to do with politics, politicians, bureaucrats, administrators, poor teaching skills and lousy funding (in some cases - not all of course). However, one of the primary reasons that our schools fail to educate our children better, has a lot to do with the teaching methodology.

For those of you that understand NLP, no explanation is necessary. All I have to do, is say "NLP" and you "get it" immediately. For those of you that have not studied NLP, I won't get into a full blown dissertation here, but I'll simply say that we are all very much the same (as human beings) around the world, but there are some very distinct differences in the way our brain got wired from birth. Some of that has to do with our genes, some our environment and much of it comes from our parents. Bottom line, most of us fall into one category or another when it comes to how we take in the world around us.

Some of us filter the world around us Visually, some Kinesthetically and some Auditorally. Some of us are even split between two dominant filters, with one taking precedent at certain under certain conditions. I am [personally] a V/A split with a weak K. What that means is that, I take in the world around me Visually FIRST, then Auditorally and when I'm not fully engaged in what I'm doing, I'll filter things Kinesthetically - but it won't register very strongly in my brain.

What I've discovered in my life, is that Females (for me - I can't speak for the other Dudes here) more times than not, tend to communicate with me better using the filters that I have hard-wired in my brain to take in the world around me. If you want me to learn something in the most optimal and efficient way, then you have to communicate your idea to me Visually FIRST, the Auditorally SECOND. The ordering that you deliver your message to me, is critically important! If you want to jam me (just like jamming a radar - ECM), then all you have to do, is start communicating your "new message or idea" to me in Kinesthetically FIRST. That will jam my brain ever single time.

Women, tend to communicate with me in the V/A composite channel right off the bat for some odd reason - I've never been able to figure out why. Men, tend to feed their message through the A channel right off the bat and that starts the jamming process right off the bat. I'm always asking the Men for clarification, where I don't find the need to do that nearly as much with the Women. I use this in business, though not unethically. Most people don't know that you are "tracking" them or "un-coding" their output, or "en-coding" my message to have more impact with them. Again, I never use this tool for unethical or immoral purposes - ever. The better you get at it, the more effective a communicator you become in 1-v-1 engagements.

As Instructors, you might find it helpful to learn at least the fundamentals of NLP (Neuro Linguistic Programming), test it out and see if it enhances you comms with your students. I'm not saying that you need to become a master nlp practicioner. But, learning the basics can help anyone comm better with another human being.

[note: there are people who have abused this 'technology/science' (whatever you want to call it) and that has given the tool a cult like following. I don't do that and I'm not suggesting that anyone else do that.]

Anyway, I just thought I'd throw that out there. From what you wrote here TP., this guy did seem a little bit "cold" towards you. As a student, I would never feel comfortable with doing anything contrary to what my instructor was telling me, especially in flight, for goodness sakes! No matter how bad a day he might have been having, we are all responsible for how we interact with each other and on that basis alone, he's at fault for not controlling his behavior a bit more.

Next time, find out what his dominant processing filter is, so that you can communicate with him through that channel and not the one that jams his brain. We ALL have dominant filters set-up for a myriad of reasons extending all the way back to our birth. Find his, encode all of your speech to conform to that filter and then use the word that best fit his optimum channel for human comms. He will have no choice but to respond more favorably, because no human being has the ability to re-write their dominant filter on-the-fly. We can do it over time, but once engaged, it is very hard to lie to the 'system' called your brain!

Have fun with it! [Just remain ethical as you en-code people.]

[YT]befugtgikMg[/YT]

Not to stir the pot, BUT I hope you guys aren't denying that chauvinism CAN play a part in this behavior. There are some men who just can't wrap their little heads around a woman teaching them something, especially in a very non-feminine career such as a pilot.

Who said you could talk? :D

sucks that you had a bad encounter.

as with all situations there are generally three truths when it comes to a disagreement:

A's truth

The real truth

B's truth

(Notice which one is somewhere in the middle).

If one doesn't have a bad day once in a while, how will they know the good days to appreciate. :)

Ok, so yesterday I had the worst flight I've had, thus far, being an instructor (and it's been over a year and a half).

I was called around 10:30 in the morning and asked, "Would you like to fly with so-and-so's student today at 1? He is booked and I see you're open." So I said that I would do it. Well, I get to the airport and he shows up around 1, and just kinda has this "Holier Than Thou" attitude towards me from the get-go, so I don't overly try to be his friend in the flight, I simply try to be his instructor.

Cutting to the chace, we are climbing from the airport on an Easterly heading and up to 3,500' to do some maneuvering. First on the list is the VR-IR of basic flight attitudes. So he levels off, really nicely actually, and I complimented him on it, and went about teaching him what it looks like to maintain striaght and level visually and then by reference to the instruments. After that, I said "Let's go ahead and get a little further from the airport before we start any turns" and almost immediately after I say that, he starts to turn! I figured to myself 'Um, ok, maybe he heard me wrong' and began to teach him what a turn looks like visually and by reference to the instruments, blah blah blah, and he stopped us on a heading of 190. I put the heading bug on 180 and told him to turn me left to 180 so we can start some slow flight, since everything else went well with the basic attitudes. I also explain how to use the section lines to fly on cardinal headings by flying paralell to them, and he continues to turn past south, all the way around to north.

At this point, I say to him, "You just want to do turns?" And he grunted a "yes" response so I said, "You know, you're not going to learn anything new unless you listen to me and try new things in the airplane, slow flight is next on the lesson plan, so we should start on that" (which we discussed prior to the flight). So since he just wanted to do his turns and completely not listen to a word I say, I just sat in the right seat thinking, 'as soon as he is done with his turns, he'll stop on a heading of south, and let me know he is ready for slow flight' and after 4 or 5 minutes of his little 5-10 degree bank turns, he said "I'm ready to go back to the airport" so we went back, and I was trying to talk him through a landing, but he was blatetnly not listening to a word I said so I was finally able to get him to get us on the ground and we taxiied onto the ramp and shut down.

After the shutdown, he said nothing, helped me push the plane back, and then left. Went into the airport, slammed his rented headset down on the counter, breaking it (I was able to fix it), and walked out, not saying a word.

Now, he never acted like this before to his instructor, but this was only his third flight. Do you think maybe, since he is a surgeon, that he has a big ego and has some sort of issues listening to a woman, in an authoritative position that is younger than him? I immediately told my Chief CFI what had happened, and he said he would talk to his instructor, and come up with a plan of action. Well, the guy emailed the owner of the company today with "his side" of what happened. My Chief CFI read me the email. It was a complete lie, was not what had happened at all, and it really gets under my skin that someone would act like this towards me.

I have a larger grasp on these things having 850 hours as compared to his 3, you would think he would listen to me, and not diliberately disobey what I had to say.

Has anyone had any issue like this? I realize that 90% of the people on here are guys, so I doubt y'all would be able to relate... But any sort of input? Sorry this was so long.

It's because your so dang HOTT!! Why can't people have fun in the airplane like we used to..the cha cha slide?! :nana2:

Hope you're doing well!!

You know, since my post I have started to lean towards chauvinism as more of a possibility.

When you don't see it or experience it, it is hard to remember it is still out there.

It's because your so dang HOTT!! Why can't people have fun in the airplane like we used to..the cha cha slide?! :nana2:

Hope you're doing well!!

HEY MURPHDOG! Haven't heard from you in FOREVER! I miss the CHA CHA SLIDE! Hahaha. Our planes deon't have ADF's so no more Radio Disney. :( Lol.

Lets be honest...men are pigs (yes we admit it), most of us would love the chance to spend an hour in a cramped plane with a female instructor!

most of us would love the chance to spend an hour in a cramped plane with a female instructor!

Oh, I did it once. She spent a lot of the time picking her nose and throwing it on the floor. The grass is always greener...

Do you think maybe, since he is a surgeon, that he has a big ego and has some sort of issues listening to a woman, in an authoritative position that is younger than him?

In short, yes. I don't think the issue is that you are female, but that you're in control. In the medical community, surgeons are known to have the "God complex". Of course, all aren't like that, but a whole lot are, and you may have picked up one of the bad ones.

bottom line is that some people have bad days, other are jerks all the time. It could be chauvinism or not.

nosehair might remember this: I was in a phase for a while in which I mixed personal pronouns. In one post, I would refer to "he" and "his" and in another to "she" and "her." (I still do it but not as regularly) Some of the results were pretty funny.

On one forum, after my very first post, I was accused to being a male chauvinist - I had described a scenario where the pilot made a mistake and it was "her" turn. On another, one of the forum members became convinced that I was a woman and made a post "proving" it. :D

nosehair might remember this: I was in a phase for a while in which I mixed personal pronouns. In one post, I would refer to "he" and "his" and in another to "she" and "her."
??...so why did you do that?

I must admit that it irritated me at first, because I had to stop reading, or building the picture in my head, because the "person" had to be 'male', or 'female'.

But,..I learned from it. I began to be able to 'de-sex' the "person", and dis-associate gender from a generic scene.

You learned me something.:)

??...so why did you do that?

I must admit that it irritated me at first, because I had to stop reading, or building the picture in my head, because the "person" had to be 'male', or 'female'.

But,..I learned from it. I began to be able to 'de-sex' the "person", and dis-associate gender from a generic scene.

You learned me something.:)
...and your "you go girl!" comment on one of the threads had me almost peeing in my pants.

The why - it was something I picked up in a book or article along the way and thought it was an interesting approach to writing. Completely innocent (rare, I know).

But at some point, though, the irritation I sometimes saw come out of it became kind of interesting. As you point out about you becoming able to dis-associate gender from a generic scene, to a lot of folks, gender-neutrality is fine, so long as the neutral gender is male.

Back