Lower Level Facility Vs Higher Level Facility

Wyopoke79

How many of you out there are looking to get into a lower level facility? I am just curious if any of you are specifically looking to start off your FAA career at a less than busy terminal. If so, why? Or are some of you in for the challenge of working at a fast paced terminal? Why?

I selected states in my geo preference email that had a lot of level 5-7 facilities and had a low cost of living. I'm not worried about being stuck for 5-7 years at a lower level facility. In fact, I wouldn't even feel stuck. Plus, I know controllers that have worked there way up the ladder. In the old days,20 years ago,a trainee would never start at a career at JFK or ORD...
In short, I would just like to get picked up somewhere where I will be comfortable. All I really need is a big ass dog, a Wal-mart, and Direct-TV and everything else will be gravy.
Does anyone else feel the same way?
:rawk:

How many of you out there are looking to get into a lower level facility? I am just curious if any of you are specifically looking to start off your FAA career at a less than busy terminal. If so, why? Or are some of you in for the challenge of working at a fast paced terminal? Why?

I selected states in my geo preference email that I had a lot of level 5-7 facilities and had a low cost of living. I'm not worried about being stuck for 5-7 years at a lower level facility. In fact, I wouldn't even feel stuck. Plus, I know controllers that have worked there way up the ladder. In the old days,20 years ago,a trainee would never start at a career at JFK or ORD...
In short, I would just like to get picked up somewhere where I will be comfortable. All I really need is a big ass dog, a Wal-mart, and Direct-TV and everything else will be gravy.

Pending I get picked up with my "qualified" score, I would like a mid-level facility. An instructor here at my dispatcher school who works at a mid level tower said that a lot of the trainees going to higher level towers are washing out at their facilities. I would feel more comfortable working my way up.

Same, I'd rather start out in a mid level facility, learn the ropes then maybe move up if the opportunity presented itself. Of course that all depends on whether or not I get hired...

I selected states in my geo preference email that I had a lot of level 5-7 facilities and had a low cost of living. I'm not worried about being stuck for 5-7 years at a lower level facility. In fact, I wouldn't even feel stuck. Plus, I know controllers that have worked there way up the ladder. In the old days,20 years ago,a trainee would never start at a career at JFK or ORD...

I'm with you Wyopoke79, I selected Ohio and SC mainly b/c they both have mostly small to mid-level facilities and are relatively undesired. Ideally I would like to end up at DAY, a level 8. Somewhere I've heard DAY's approach is being moved to CMH which I presume would lower them down to at least a 7. Here's to wishing! ;)

I got DCA. They do lvl 9 traffic but have some sort of agreement with the government where they get paid at lvl 10. The people I spoke with there said that the CTI grads they hired are all doing very well, so that was definately ecouraging. They seemed to think I would do fine coming in off the street.

Being a little naive I guess, I specifically requested any 3 of the NYC majors (JFK, LGA, or EWR..all level 10s) but ended up with a level 7 regional tower in NJ (still within the New York Area Hub)...I like to think the FAA was looking out for my best interests :D...hopefully it will pay off in the long run

I'm onboard with you Wyo. No sense in rushing into battle straight out of boot!

If I had my pick I would go for Hilo, HI - as it's a lvl 7 tracon

Hononlulu Consolidated is a lvl 11

don't know what the other ones are but I'll be trying for the lower for starts mos def. Slow and steady wins the race.

Yeah, I almost dumped bricks when I was original told I was going to go to NCT (lvl 12 consolidated TRACON). I want to end out at NCT or SCT, but I am happy the FAA decide to send me to a lower level tower, but a lvl 5 tower in SCK? Come on! But at least I can get my foot in the door, I just hope it isn't a revolving door, because those tend to break your foot when you get them in.

Yeah, I almost dumped bricks when I was original told I was going to go to NCT (lvl 12 consolidated TRACON). I want to end out at NCT or SCT, but I am happy the FAA decide to send me to a lower level tower, but a lvl 5 tower in SCK? Come on! But at least I can get my foot in the door, I just hope it isn't a revolving door, because those tend to break your foot when you get them in.

getting_a_foot_in_the_door.jpg

depends on which is moving faster.. your foot or the door.

wish I knew.. judging by the big highway pylon in the background.... i still don't know..

could be.. Compton, Jersey, Hayward, Queens, Chytown.... I JUST DON'T KNOW MAN!

wish I knew.. judging by the big highway pylon in the background.... i still don't know..

could be.. Compton, Jersey, Hayward, Queens, Chytown.... I JUST DON'T KNOW MAN!

Detroit, ATL. Judging by the P sign in the back ground..... I don't think it is Compton, that doesn't look like any of the parking/bus signs in that area of town and people don't bundle up that much even in winter in Compton... I am betting it is a midwest/eastern seaboard town, unless it is London, it could be London... I JUST DON'T KNOW!

apparently, i have been selected for a lower level facility in illinois, which was my #1 choice. money is not really an issue for me, so i was not worried about going to a higher level facility simply for a higher salary. i thought a lower level facility in my area would benefit me the best to learn the ropes and not take as long to become a CPC. eventually, i would like to move up to a higher level facility probably around 4-5 years into my careers. i would like to work either ORD tower or Chicago Tracon (i would really like to work some radar one day).

apparently, i have been selected for a lower level facility in illinois, which was my #1 choice. money is not really an issue for me, so i was not worried about going to a higher level facility simply for a higher salary. i thought a lower level facility in my area would benefit me the best to learn the ropes and not take as long to become a CPC. eventually, i would like to move up to a higher level facility probably around 4-5 years into my careers. i would like to work either ORD tower or Chicago Tracon (i would really like to work some radar one day).

I with you I was selected for a lower level facility in the mountain west... and It's what I requested. I am pretty excited.

Are you flying or Driving to the Kansas city Pepc? I was thinking about getting a group of people from the Chicago area and renting a car...splitting costs... but I may fly.

i really wanted a mid level tower because i would much rather see the sunlight (or rain/snow/etc...) and watch the planes...so i really wanted ISP, or FRG on long island. i wouldnt like a high level tower as ATLTRACON has said they are not set up for training and the high level means that you dont get the training you need. he did say however that Centers are set up very good for training and going to a level 12 center (which most are 12's and 11's, and like 1 or 2 that are 10's) isnt that bad because you get the training you need.

i know someone who got back from OKC in july for ZNY and they are doing fine there with the training. she said as long as you study you will do fine, and she said the training is very good. i hope that eases the mind of some of the people goin to centers. just study and you will be fine.

Back