Low timers: How are you currently building hours?

BoDEAN

For those with low hours like me, how are you currently building hours? I have searched for CFI jobs in SE Michigan, and the last 2 months, come up empty. So I am a lost soul, needing hours, wanting to fly. I may end up trying the Air Ambulance service, see if I can get hours that way. If worst comes to worse, I may have to resort to moving out of state to find something to build hours. Maybe I am just making it harder than it is right now for me to build hours, I don't know. I just know I have a BS degree in Aviation science, and need to build some hours, and get out from behind this desk.
smirk.gif

Just want to hear what others in my shoes are doing right now.

gizbug, my best advice is if its possible, you need to get your CFII and MEI. You will be much more marketable if you do. And flight schools are looking for someone who can fill as many roles as possible. SAVES THEM MONEY! Personally, I am not putting in a single application until i have my CFII and MEI. This is my 2 cents, but it really only applies if you want to instruct. If not, TRY EVERYTHING. Have you thought of towing banners, or dropping skydivers? Pay isnt great, but you can build hours like crazy, flying from sun-up to sun-down!
Good luck!

I've been slacing on studying for my CFII written done... but need to get back into the swing of things, and get it done.

I will give another call to the sky diving place. They are 30 miles from me, but who knows, maybe they have an opening. Thanks for the positive advice
smile.gif

You checked out Ann Arbor? I'm not sure if they're hiring, but you never know. How far from home can you go? They do skydiving up at Browne in Saginaw, and I believe they also do some over in Jackson. Again, not sure if they're hiring but you might want to check it out.

Cheers

John Herreshoff

If no schools are hiring, try to find out which ones are part of the be-a-pilot program. If they will let you freelance, this is a great way to get prospective students. Definitely get some business cards made- the will be invaluable if you meet someone interested in flying. Try posting flyers at the local universities offering $49 discovery flights. I'm currently working on some door hangs (with business card attached) to put up on the wealthier neighborhood's doors (upon advice from a fellow poster; you know who you are, and thank you for the idea). If you start bringing students to the flight school you want to work at, that can only up your chances of getting hired there.
I'm in the same boat as you- CFI, with no flying job, feeling kinda outta place trying to make ends meet. I believe the name of the game now is building time, however and wherever I can. Banner tow, skydive jumps, aerial photography-- whatever. If you're buyin', I'm flyin.
tongue.gif

I plan on either purchasing or getting on a non-equity share plan with a friend. Instructors around here come a dime a dozen and nobody is hiring.

I'm still riding out the student loan money and flying with anyone I can. If you are ever interrested in splitting time on a plane I am in the area. I am still looking to get that last 10 hours of hood time out of the way as I finish up the instrument rating here. John, I've been meaning to track you down one of these days too.

I am curently finishing up one internship. o got about 130hrs form it, and I am going back to my flight school to insturct down there for 3 months, and hopefully get free CFII/MEI training. I will have to pay for the checkride though...I left school with 307hrs, and I have about 436hrs now. to all of those actually kneed deep in real jobs, how fast does your time come? I got about 130 hrs, in 3 months...

Mark,

Try my AOL screen name some time: NBL735. I might not always be around....ok I'm never around anymore between work and a girlfriend in Ann Arbor, but I do check my messages that are left on AIM regularly. There are some alternate methods of contacting me in my AIM profile, also.

Cheers

John Herreshoff

I'm building hours trying to get my PPL. By the time I'm done, I'll have enough hours to go right into the comm!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
1 hour at a time!

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you mean 0.4 at a time???
wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

True true!! But hey every 0.1 counts!

Try knocking on a few 135 operator's doors. Even if they're single pilot, they may let you fly/log the 91 legs. It may not pay the bills, as you won't be a required crewmember, but the compensation is flight time. One more thing, before I get flamed for encouraging PFT or not getting compensation for your skills, notice I said you won't be a required crewmember. You won't be taking a paying job away from anyone. Never pay or fly for free for a required crewmember position! Also, there are still 135 operators out there that don't have approved autopilots, & may have a restriction against single pilot IFR. In that case, you may be able to get a loggable (& payable!) SIC job.

'canfly

[ QUOTE ]
Never pay or fly for free for a required crewmember position!

[/ QUOTE ]

I think all pilots should fly for free since they don't really work anyway.

KIDDING!!!! Before I get lynched!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Never pay or fly for free for a required crewmember position!

[/ QUOTE ]

I think all pilots should fly for free since they don't really work anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

You work in media huh?

Back