Low time pilot looking to start my career

Yeah be an instructor! You'll have a ton of knowledge and wisdom to pass on to your students at 257 hours! :bounce:

(not a jab at you)

Check banner towing, especially if you have tailwheel time.. Van Wagner is a good outfit.

Or Aerial Survey.

Few companies in AK hire 250hrs as an "FO", ie Hageland (Ravn).

There are definitely options other than being a CFI.

I've been looking. Gotten two phone interviews. Waiting to hear back from them as well as Hagland and some others. Air Choice One, Gama, Tradewind, Boutique, to name a few. It's only been a weekish. Anyone know of any other companies by name? It feels like I can't find anymore online. There are probably a lot of small outfits that don't show up in a google search or post a lot on Climbto350, ect.

There's also a few that have told me they just aren't hiring till winter.

. Please, save the discourses about how "CFI is so great because you learn/experience/make decisions/become such a better pilot," because they've been rehashed for decades (and frankly I will disagree with you on most or all points because there's very little a CFI does that is preparatory to a real flying job, but I digress).
Based on your extensive experience as a CFI and out in the real world?
a lowly 300 hour pilot like me,
Never mind, carry on.

Medical First Class - Expires 4/26/21

Kind of surprised no one picked this one out.

Your First Class medical expires on 04/31/17, provided the math is correct and you conducted the exam in 2016. You can exercise the privileges of a 3rd Class medical until 04/31/2021.

If you so choose to include your medical information and class on resumes and applications, it is more standard to state the examination date. The person looking at your info will know how long your medical will be good for in regards to the flying to be done. Just a small tidbit, as it’s only a matter of time until a prospective company presents that question in some form.

Congratulations on your recent tickets, and welcome. It can be disheartening sometimes when you’re trying to get your career in aviation off the ground, but keep at it. The industry can be brutal at times, but you never know what type of break might be waiting just around the bend.

Honolulu Soaring needs a tow pilot - L19 Bird Dog Honolulu Soaring | Piloted Scenic Glider Tours in Waialua, HI Ask for Mr. Bill. Pay is around 150/day. Surf/swim before/after work. Dillingham Airfield.
There's also a jump operation on the field that flies Caravans, they always need pilots as well. After towing for a while you can talk to them. Pay's a bit more.
Super fun flying, very valuable skill sets.
Lots of flying jobs in Hawaii

I don't want people replying saying "just get your CFI." I'm only 19 so I have 4 years before I can even think about going to the airlines.

Get your CFI. Honestly, if you have done that much already, it will not take much to get it. I'm not even saying teach, just study and do the CFI ride now.

Then go to college.

Hi everyone! I just finished my CPL AMEL and ASEL. I have an instrument rating as well. I'm willing to go anywhere needed and do practically anything. I don't want people replying saying "just get your CFI." I'm only 19 so I have 4 years before I can even think about going to the airlines. I'm looking for a company that I can call home for many years to come.
-Eric

Asking for advice, and then immediately telling people you’re only open to advice you want to hear usually isn’t a recipe that ends up tasting too good...

Congrats on the tickets. Now you get to learn you are not owed a damn thing in this industry. You’re 19, that means you have time on your side. Like you, I did not want to instruct...so instead I waited a solid 12 months before I got my first flying job...based solely on geographical luck. Sometimes you have to go where the work is, and there’s always work in instructing. Otherwise, as some sage advice I received once went, “open your eyes and ears bigger than your mouth.” Watch, learn, dig through this site and see where the jobs are and what’s trending. Learn all about the picto operators; when do they do their hiring? What are they looking for besides a commercial certificate?

This is a great place to network, but networking happens after building relationships organically. It won’t happen overnight. I’m one of the success stories from JC. I got my first flying job here, I’ve gotten amazing industry advice from people I consider friends. Based on that advice, I went about my path a lot more slowly than I would have liked, but it happened, it just takes time.

As a more practical answer, look at the picto vendors or the Alaska route. I know Air Choice One takes lower time FO’s in their 208’s.

Good luck!

when you realize the thread has been open for two years and the OP hasnt even been on in two years... looks like he got his CFI after six months and also an SIC type in the Lear. Gratz to him

Back