Los Angeles Airways

A Life Aloft

Just some fun history.........

Sikorsky-S-51-of-Los-Angeles-Airways-takes-off-from-Terminal-Annex-Post-Office-1-October-1947.jpg

A Los Angeles Airways Sikorsky S-51 helicopter takes off from the roof of the Terminal Annex Post Office, 1 October 1947. The Los Angeles Times published this photograph 2 October 1947 with the following caption: “NEW MAIL SERVICE — Los Angeles Airways helicopter shown landing on the roof of Terminal Annex Post office yesterday to inaugurate helicopter air-mail service, the first of its kind in the United States. Two flights daily are planned on this run with another to start Oct. 16.”

1 October 1947: Los Angeles Airways began regularly scheduled air mail service in Los Angeles, using the Sikorsky S-51 helicopter.

“. . . the U.S. Civil Aeronautics Board awarded LAA the route authorities to operate local air mail services in Southern California using the Sikorsky S-51. Before long, LAA was operating a twice-a-day mail service between the main downtown post office and Los Angeles International Airport along with a small package air express service.

“With a fleet of five S-51s, LAA’s first year of operations resulted in 700 tons of mail being carried with approximately 40,000 landings throughout the Los Angeles metropolitan area. The small operation maintained a 95% reliability rate and by the time it began its small package air express service in 1953, it was annually moving nearly 4,000 tons of mail a year.

“In July 1951 the CAB awarded LAA’s reliable helicopter operation the rights for passenger services which started in November 1954 with larger Sikorsky S-55 helicopters while the smaller S-51s continued the mail and small package services.”

The S-51 was a commercial version of the Sikorsky R-5 series of military helicopters. It was a four-place, single-engine helicopter, operated by one pilot. The cabin was built of aluminum with Plexiglas windows. The fuselage was built of plastic-impregnated plywood, and the tail boom was wood monocoque construction. The main rotor consisted of three fully-articulated blades built of metal spars and plywood ribs and covered with two layers of fabric. (All metal blades soon became available.) The three bladed semi-articulated tail rotor was built of laminated wood. The main rotor turned counter-clockwise, as seen from above. (The advancing blade is on the helicopter’s right.) The tail rotor was mounted on the helicopter’s left side in a pusher configuration. It turned clockwise as seen from the helicopter’s left.

The helicopter’s fuselage was 41 feet, 7.5 inches (12.687 meters) long. The main rotor had a diameter of 48 feet (14.630 meters) and tail rotor diameter was 8 feet, 5 inches (2.565 meters), giving the helicopter an overall length of 57 feet, 1 inch (17.399 meters). It was 13 feet, 1.5 inches (4.001 meters) high. The landing gear tread was 12 feet (3.7 meters). The S-51 had an empty weight of 4,050 pounds (1,837 kilograms) and maximum takeoff weight of 5,500 pounds (2,495 kilograms). Fuel capacity was 100 gallons (378.5 liters).

The helicopter was powered by an air-cooled, supercharged, 986.749-cubic-inch-displacement (16.170 liter) Pratt & Whitney Wasp Jr. T1B4 (R-985 AN-5) direct-drive, nine-cylinder radial engine which was placed vertically in the fuselage behind the crew compartment. This engine was rated at 450 horsepower at 2,300 r.p.m., Standard Day at Sea Level. The R-985 AN-5 was 48.00 inches (1.219 meters) long, 46.25 inches (1.175 meters) in diameter and weighed 684 pounds (310.3 kilograms) with a magnesium crankcase.

The S-51 had a maximum speed (Vne) of 107 knots (123.1 miles per hour/198.2 kilometers per hour). Range was 275 miles (442.6 kilometers). The service ceiling was 14,800 feet (4,511 meters). The absolute hover ceiling was 3,000 feet (914.4 meters).

Of 220 helicopters in the S-51 series built by Sikorsky, 55 were commercial models.

At SNA

Los_Angeles_Airways_helicopter_service,_Orange_County_Airport,_circa_1960.jpg

LAA04.jpg

1959 LAX

LAA02.jpg

In 1962 Los Angeles Airways were the first carrier in the world to put the large S-61 into scheduled service. This was the first helicopter to have the cabin formatted like a pax fixed wing aircraft. It could carry 28 passengers at a cruising speed of some 140 mph.

L%20A%20Airways%20Sikorsky%20S-61L.jpg

At the Disneyland heliport

Sikorsky-S-61L-N300Y-Los-Angeles-Airways-at-Disneyland1.jpg

Vintage-Ticket.jpg

Igor Sikorsky

s-51-1.jpg

los+angeles+airways+1961+1.jpg

helicopterpassengerservice19592.jpg

Last edited:
I remember those helicopters well. When I was a kid living in Lakewood then Huntington Beach, a very common sight, those big helicopters in the sky. I'd guess they were at about 3000agl going by often.

One of my best friends in Huntington Beach was John Dupies. John and I were baseball nuts. Went to school together, lived near each other and we played Little League under the traffic pattern of Meadowlark Airport. I thought those little GA airplanes flying overhead was just the coolest things. Which was strange because I didn't know anyone who flew.

John's dad was a Captain for LA Airways which I was very impressed with in the 4th grade. I think I was in the 5th grade when the 20 passenger Sikorsky John's dad was flying threw a main rotor blade killing all on board.

About 4 months later LA Airways lost a second helicopter basically the same way and as I remember it that was the end of the company.

Last edited:
My dad told me about him seeing these helicopters when he was a kid growing up near Disneyland. Nice piece of SoCal history.

Somewhere is saw a picture with a woman holding a model of a S-64 in LAA colors, carrying passenger bus or trailer.

LAA always intrigued me but it was before my time. I do remember vaguely Golden West DHC 7s, who I guess bought LAA and gave helicopter service a shot.

Then there was Air Spur. Remember them as a kid too.

http://i1.wp.com/hooniverse.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Skycrane.jpg?w=720

Found it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I don't know the details of what happened but I feel kinda bad for Ted, he poured a ton of money (like multiple millions) into this venture and has been wrangling with the FAA for years now. By the time they ever grant him an AOC, he'll be dead, he's no spring chicken. I think he has pretty much exhausted all of his assets and this Summer was looking for investors to sell equity to. I can't imagine anyone doing that with no Cert to operate on though. Plus he never got his applications approved with the County or even with CRQ. I have no clue what happened there but apparently there are many issues that still need to be addressed/ironed out.

Last edited:
CA has spawned a couple of aviation companies over the years.........

Really good job. I was sure you were going to miss Golden Gate.

A couple I can think of...
Inland Empire flew several SW4 servicing the Bay Area, Fresno, Visalia, LAX, and Ontario. I think there were other cities.
3ef1dd2fcc60bbdc727b61bed3c3cd5a.jpg

Who can forget the ugly yellow DC-9 and 727's , Hughes Air West.
Hughes_Airwest_McDonnell_Douglas_DC-9-31_Silagi-1.jpg

Last edited:
I had meant to include Inland Empire. I had an issue in that you can only upload so many photos (20) in each post and somehow they fell off the list as I was copying and pasting. Thanks for adding them.

How in the hell I missed Hughes (whom I loved) I have no idea. Senility? I get Ryan, but left off Hughes. Okey Dokey.

Western, nuts they were on my list too and I had grouped them with the first set of photos. They fell off also. lol Thanks for picking up the bits and pieces.

Last edited:
I had meant to include Inland Empire. I had an issue in that you can only upload so many photos (20) in each post and somehow they fell off the list as I was copying and pasting. Thanks for adding them.

How in the hell I missed Hughes (whom I loved) I have no idea. Senility? I get Ryan, but let off Hughes. Okey Dokey.

Western, nuts they were on my list too and I had grouped them with the first set of photos. They fell off also. lol Thanks for picking up the bits and pieces.
Great pictures! The pic's of PSA and AirCal about gave me a happy boy.

In the SW4 pictures they still had the big main gear doors. Did the FAA issue an AD to remove the doors?

How about Air Resorts Airlines out of CRQ, next to the old Hughes Helicopters test facility that were both located on the west side of the field long ago. Air Resorts had Convair 340/440s that used to do contact mil transport and the like.

How about Air Resorts Airlines out of CRQ, next to the old Hughes Helicopters test facility that were both located on the west side of the field long ago. Air Resorts had Convair 340/440s that used to do contact mil transport and the like.

Doesn't count if you don't present a picture.

How about Air Resorts Airlines?
140451981.knqeApng.AIRRESORTS_F89036.jpg

I totally have forgotten them.......didn't Ted Vallas the guy from Cal Pacific that we were discussing a few posts up own them or have I lost what little of my mind that I have left. lol

I don't know the details of what happened but I feel kinda bad for Ted, he poured a ton of money (like multiple millions) into this venture and has been wrangling with the FAA for years now. By the time they ever grant him an AOC, he'll be dead, he's no spring chicken. I think he has pretty much exhausted all of his assets and this Summer was looking for investors to sell equity to. I can't imagine anyone doing that with no Cert to operate on though. Plus he never got his applications approved with the County or even with CRQ. I have no clue what happened there but apparently there are many issues that still need to be addressed/ironed out.
I don't know either, I think the goal posts kept getting moved, but that's just my impression.

Seems like an excellent idea though.

Back