Looks Fun, But Is This Picture Real?

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone who has taken the Commercial written care to define which type of hydroplanning this would be? (Yes, there are different types of hydroplanning and every commercial pilot should know them)

[/ QUOTE ]

Dynamic Hyroplaning!!!!

So....what's the prize??
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
It also could be somewhere near Lake Okechobee. There are some stunt pilots that fly out of Belle Glade and similar areas.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny you say that. I thought the same thing when I first saw it. I did a little tailwheel flying out of a little private grass strip in a J3 near Okeechobee when I was at FSI. I can't tell if thats the one or not.

Yeah, it's real. I met a guy in CO that does this. You just have to have the wheels locked up the whole time and the hydoplane happens real easy. I guess it is not that hard, not that I am going to try it. HA

[ QUOTE ]
It would be impossible to replace the land that shows through(behind) the prop area nevermind having to cut out the prop in the first place since it doesnt have solid outlines.

[/ QUOTE ]
Never say impossible. Granted, I wouln't know how to do it either, but I woulnd't be surprised if there were people good enough to figure a way.

The other thing that would make me think it's real is that there's a smudge on the picture. Now, if you're going to photoshop the picture, why the hell would you bother to put a smudge on it?

Ah! We've come to the crux of the matter!

The smudge proves that the photo is, indeed, a fake. Someone put it there knowing that someone like Tony would know that anyone who goes to that much work would remove it, thus remaining one step ahead of us!

The ol' smudgey double-cross! Dastardly villains!

grin.gif

On second thought, I still think it's real . . .

Man, those dirty bastards! They're just too smart for me.

I had some folks in my company's production department look at the picture and they said the same thing as you. If it is a fake, someone had to have something a hell of a lot better than PhotoShop. They said to fake that picture you'd need the kind of equipment that's used in Hollywood for the special effects on movies but a normal PC and PhotoShop wouldn't be able to do it.

" Anyone who has taken the Commercial written care to define which type of hydroplanning this would be? (Yes, there are different types of hydroplanning and every commercial pilot should know them) "

refresh my memory..

I would believe this to be a real photo. I've seen this done in Alaska and talked to the pilots who've done it. I don't think I'd ever do it, but they say it's not that hard, especially with the tundra tires they have up there.

dude...I was being sarcastic. I think it's silly to need to be able to define the different types of hydroplanning. Just another of those questions on the commercial written that you memorize for the test and then forget....though viscous and hydrodynamic seem to stick in my head. I hate it when crap like that sticks in my head....I need the room for more important stuff....

Yep, it's real. I've done it before on the Mississippi River. Two requirements though:

1) Water must be VERY still. (Pretty obvious)

2) Brakes must be kept locked at ALL TIMES WHILE IN CONTACT WITH THE WATER.

As long as you pay attention to these two things it's really not as hazardous as it seems. Actually it's pretty fun. The thrust line is gonna keep you skiing and your prop outta the drink. Man, you oughta see the rooster tails it'll throw.

But you let those wheels turn and you're going up on your nose. Or so I've always been told. One of those things that I prefer to believe by benefit of other's experience, don't you know.
smile.gif

Anyway, you get the greasy side up and the shiny side wet, well, at that point I don't think a NASA form is gonna cut it....
blush.gif

(Oh yeah, I probably should add: DON'T DO THIS IN A TRICYCLE GEAR AIRCRAFT. TAILDRAGGERS ONLY.)
grin.gif

Back