Looking to get a EMB-120 type rating.

Avalon781ML

Is FlightSafety the only place to offer the PIC or SIC type rating in the US? Suggestions or ideas? Can I get a type via a foreign training program?

Cheers,

B

I don't have an answer to your question... but WHY would you buy a EMB-120 type? They are not common and those who fly them will put you through training to fly them (I can only think of skywest and some race teams).

If you are going to buy a type why not look into the CE-500, CE-525, or LRJET type. They cover TONS of different series AND there are many of them around..... As always each person has their own reasons. Good luck either way!

Not to mention an SIC is not a type rating so why would you even think about that? Maybe find some one that operates them ang get hired and paid to get one?

Call Long Beach Flight Safety. They have a level C sim and another in Atlanta I beleive. The other one they had was sold to a company in Australia. I doubt it is set up yet.

But it doesn't make much sense to get a type rating in that aircraft. I get paid to fly it daily and don't have a type rating.

There's a company that wants to advertise here (and got rejected for obvious reasons) that sells -120/-170/-190/-195 type ratings over in Europe.

I'm not, umm, down with that. It doesn't make you any more marketable because they still have to give you that part-121 checkride so you're not that much more of an asset with a type rating.

Aren't SIC type ratings are actually required if you are going to be operating the aircraft outside of the US airspace system? I am typed in the SD3 with a limitation placed on me that I can only perform SIC privileges. I think we might need to find out why this guy is looking for a type rating before we all head down that old, familiar road. I remember our guys at Corporate went to LGB Flight Safety for transition training. Not trying to blow up your spot or anything but what exactly would require you to already be typed in the Brasilia?

Call Long Beach Flight Safety. They have a level C sim and another in Atlanta I beleive. The other one they had was sold to a company in Australia. I doubt it is set up yet.

But it doesn't make much sense to get a type rating in that aircraft. I get paid to fly it daily and don't have a type rating.

:yeahthat:

I was there today, but SkyWest has a lease on the Long Beach SIM, so most likely you would have to go through Atlanta. I'm sure they could set you up if that is what you really want.

If you are trying to be more marketable to a 121 outfit like SkyWest or Great Lakes I would not spend your $$ on a type. Perhaps we are being presumptious and you have something else in mind.

If you want to be a Captain:) you need one. I am aware that NASCAR flies the Bro for maintenance personel. I was wondering about flying for them at one point.

LGB is no longer doing E120 stuff. ATL is the only place in the US that you could go. And I think its going to run you close to 20K, FS that is.

LGB is no longer doing E120 stuff. ATL is the only place in the US that you could go. And I think its going to run you close to 20K, FS that is.
Do you mean that they no longer do Bro stuff for off the street people? Because otherwise I better tell my company;)

You sure about that?

Yes, in that they're totally worthless in the U.S. I have a SIC type rating, only because it's required overseas. To fly in the U.S. as an FO, all I need is a Commercial Pilot Certificate with a multiengine rating and instrument rating.

It's not a type.

Then why is it called an 'SIC Type Rating'? I also don't think it's totally useless in the US because you can at least prove that you've been through some sort of training. It shows up on your license under type ratings - because it's a type rating - with SIC only privileges.

At least for us SkyWest guys the type rating has to involve an actual flight in the plane. Reason being is that the available SIMs are level C. (Meaning the graphics are not VFR day like a level D SIM where you could get the whole rating. )
I am guessing ultimately to get a type you would need a flight too.

I don't think that's true, because I just talked with a guy that went through Higher Power's program and they did EVERYTHING at night, so I'm guessing it was a level B/C sim and he has a PIC type for the 737 sitting in his pocket right now.

Yep. It's a training endorsement.

It's not required for domestic ops (yet hah) and gives you privileges to............swing the gear?

It's not a type.

-mini
wow mini, I find something I disagree with you on. I agree that it is not very useful, and that without time in type it is pretty much useless BUT:

1. It is a type rating with a limitation- SIC only. It is not an endorsement.
2. To fly outside the country of registry ICAO rules require that aircraft certified as multicrew, that the SIC have a type rating, even if it is limited to SIC privileges.
3. Any sic that is just a gear puller is a remarkably poor use of CRM.
4. There are some international contract jobs for FOs that require a SIC type for the license validation-so it is useful as that. Time in type is really what is valuable.

I don't think that's true, because I just talked with a guy that went through Higher Power's program and they did EVERYTHING at night, so I'm guessing it was a level B/C sim and he has a PIC type for the 737 sitting in his pocket right now.
It's about the circle to land . . . we can't do it in the sim because we can't see it (the runway) out of the side window. We have to fly the circle to get the type:)

Back