Looking for some Advice and Guidance

CaptainMatt

Hi, I’m looking for a little advice and guidance. At the moment, I’m going to a community college. This is my second year in college. I’m planning to transfer to a University to get a Bachelor degree either next fall 04 or spring 05. My plan is to once I have a degree in hand start flying at some academy to get all the pertinent ratings and then build hours to get hired by some regional or freight operation. I want to hopefully end up flying for some major. I’m looking into majoring in some thing that doesn’t have to do with actual flying. As I see it now I’ll have enough units to transfer to some school for next fall 04 semester, but I could push going to school until spring 05 and get my Private License at my local airport during that fall 04. What do you think of this idea? Should I do all my training after college or start my PPL in fall 04 so I can start building hours?

Now I have a question on degrees. I keep hearing that majoring in something other than flying is a good idea because then you have something to fall back on. Let me give you my three top choices of schools I’m looking to transfer to and what I’m looking to major in.

1. LeTourneau University – Majoring in Aviation Management, in this program you also area able to receive A&P certification too. Link to the degree program

2. Biola University - Majoring in audio production, history, or Biblical Studies.

3. Calvin College - Majoring in history or Biblical Studies.

Now here is where I’m looking for some advice. I’m trying to figure out what major I’m going to do so that I know what classes I should be taking at my community college. Out of the majors I have given you, what do you think is the best major for me to take so that I can be the ideal candidate for a one of the major airlines? Does it even matter what I major in as long as I have all the required training, ratings, and hours? What do you think of my college choices? Will they help me out in the long run?

Also, check out my daily weblog "Cleared to Land". I blog much of my thoughts and what decisions for school that I’m thinking about. You can add comments to things that I decide on and you can follow my path to a University and a Job.
http://clearedtoland.blogspot.com

Matt
CaptainMatt@dslextreme.com

Yo Capt. Matt,

I don't know a thing about the Uiinversity [LeTorneau] but, I do fly out of GGG. I will, if you wish, go to tha aviation school and ask if any of the students would be willing to E-Mail you about thier thoughts on the training and the school.
I do know, they use C-172 Citabria and Dutchess for the training.They have about 8 172s 2 citibaras and 2 Dutchess.

[ QUOTE ]
Yo Capt. Matt,

I don't know a thing about the Uiinversity [LeTorneau] but, I do fly out of GGG. I will, if you wish, go to tha aviation school and ask if any of the students would be willing to E-Mail you about thier thoughts on the training and the school.
I do know, they use C-172 Citabria and Dutchess for the training.They have about 8 172s 2 citibaras and 2 Dutchess.

[/ QUOTE ]

That be great if you could do that! Thank you so much

Matt

The school and major you choose are not important to the airlines....just that you have a degree. Hours, ratings, and job experience are what's important...not what school you went to.

But as far as degree's go... I'd suggest going into a major that you not only enjoy but also one that will pay the bills if anything aviation related gets held up for a while...

you might be hard pressed to find a job in history or biblical studies unless you become a teacher or minister... then again, i don't know too much about those two fields, so i could be wrong too....

but definately do something you enjoy because that would become your 2nd career if it's ever needed or warranted....

as far as airlines go, i've heard they don't much care what degree you get as long as it's a 4 year degree at an accredited university (i believe).

Hope this helps!
laugh.gif

Thank You Kristie!!!!!

Now I need to think about what I'm going to do.

LeTourneau is looking the best right now. I'm shooting for that at the moment now. I'm taking 18 units this semester and another 18 next semester and taking as many as I can in the summer. I'll have all the general classes down and I will only have to take Aviation classes and Bible classes at LETU. Next fall I'll get my PPL and then go off to school in Spring of 05.

Matt

What you major in is not that big of a deal, but the all-a-round degree is business. Let’s say you become a pilot in the regionals or the majors, the only professional skills that you have essentially are being a pilot-I’m talking ten years down the road after you have achieved your degree and flying your dream job. You can have a degree in aviation or history and still get a job out of college in a marking firm. Many employers just want to see those applying have a four year degree. If you have a business degree and have no real world business experience under your belt-any sort of desk job-you will not be that marketable after ten plus years as a pilot. The point that I’m trying to make is actual work experience is what is important not what you majored in.

I have a dergree in audio production and in my opinion you don't even need the audio degree to be successful in the audio world, and it's almost worthless outside the biz.

Hey, I agree with some of the other posters here. No offense, but all of those degrees you mentioned will be absolutely useless in the real world, and while most people say that airlines just want any 4 year degree, biblical studies and audio production might be pushing it a little bit. I know a lot of college graduates my age (from good schools) who are working at pizza joints because they picked a major that they thought would be fun/interesting/easy. Even though it might be a little harder, pick a real major and in the long run you'll be glad you did. You live in SoCal right? Try going to one of the many U of Calif. or Cal State schools. They all have good reputations and while some of them are really hard to get into, a lot of them aren't. A business degree (which are actually pretty easy, my business classes were among the easiest ones I took) would be a good choice, or engineering if you're so inclined (I certainly wasn't). Well, good luck!

[ QUOTE ]
No offense, but all of those degrees you mentioned will be absolutely useless in the real world, and while most people say that airlines just want any 4 year degree, biblical studies and audio production might be pushing it a little bit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not true. There are lots of jobs out there where they don't give a damn what degree you have, just as long as you have one. A lot of people said that my degree in psychology was worthless, but it got me into a lot of jobs where a college degree (in anything) was required.

Ok, ok... You're nit-picking now tonyw, are you seriously gonna tell me that there are as many job opportunities out there for biblical studies and audio production as there are for business and engineering? If those majors are something that he is really interested in, then he should go for it, but he also asked what is the "best major for me to take so that I can be the ideal candidate for a one of the major airlines?" If someone asked you that question would you instantly respond "oh, biblical studies or audio production, definitely!" I seriously doubt it. Just trying to be realistic here.

Biblical Studies and an airline interview

Ask yourself this question: What are the odds that the guy doing the interview is Christian? At least 50/50? Say you get have a Biblical Studies degree and go on to do a service type job for a while, like youth ministry or? Could make you look pretty good on the interview...nice things to talk about.

When you get the interview, you are qualified for the job. It doesn't matter if you have 2000 hours or 10,000 hours...everyone in the interview waiting room is equal because they all earned the right to be there. During the interview it's all about personality...do you like the person and could you sit in a cockpit next to him for 8 hours a day.

If I was doing the interview...I wouldn't laugh at a Biblical Studies degree...Aviation degree, now that I'd laugh at....

Agree, there is a lot to be said for a liberal arts degree despite what others might say. College does not necessarily have to be a trade school. A lot of jobs will look more closely at the reputation of the school you attended versus the area of study (obviously this is not true for highly specialized occupations). Don;t forget networking!! I got a degree in history and have worked as a commidity trader and in commercial real estate. Go figure. As for aviation, I think most are correct when they say that the degree will not make a significant difference. Some careers that come to mind with less specialized degrees...

law
education
most any sales position
yes even business and finance

It's all about that "N" word anyway!

Get a degree that you enjoy and have fun while you are in college. I have a degree in Marketing, I guess I market myself and know how to give presentations. Don't think it will help me much in the cockpit though.

80% of college grads don't use their degree

[ QUOTE ]
If those majors are something that he is really interested in, then he should go for it, but he also asked what is the "best major for me to take so that I can be the ideal candidate for a one of the major airlines?" If someone asked you that question would you instantly respond "oh, biblical studies or audio production, definitely!" I seriously doubt it. Just trying to be realistic here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would respond with "whatever interests you." I've got friends who are flying (or were flying) for majors with degrees in things like communications and political science.

Doug has said here and so have other people that it doesn't matter what you major in, as long as you have a four year degree.

It seems like the aviation industry is one of those industries where they don't care what your degree is in as long as you have one.

Tony, I believe his question was; what is a good degree to have as a fallback, should aviation not pan out.

In that case there IS a reason to go for a certain type of degree.

I suggest business or technical.

Re: Biblical Studies and an airline interview

[ QUOTE ]
If I was doing the interview...I wouldn't laugh at a Biblical Studies degree...Aviation degree, now that I'd laugh at....

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought I remember reading that you got an aviation degree yourself. If that is true, wouldn't it be kind of hypocritical to laugh at someone else who got one? Does this mean that you wouldn't hire someone who had an aviation degree.

[ QUOTE ]
Ask yourself this question: What are the odds that the guy doing the interview is Christian? At least 50/50? Say you get have a Biblical Studies degree and go on to do a service type job for a while, like youth ministry or? Could make you look pretty good on the interview...nice things to talk about.

When you get the interview, you are qualified for the job. It doesn't matter if you have 2000 hours or 10,000 hours...everyone in the interview waiting room is equal because they all earned the right to be there. During the interview it's all about personality...do you like the person and could you sit in a cockpit next to him for 8 hours a day.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you for a different point of view.....That would be pretty cool. I've already have the youth ministry stuff out of the way (the job Ive had for 2 years and still going).

Matt

MAKE SURE THAT YOU GO TO THE COLLEGE THAT YOUR HOURS WILL TRANSFER! That is important, i dont know the schools you are talking about, but not even all public schools will transfer hours completly. This may make your school career semesters or years longer.

Just get a degree. Who does what it says on their degree anyhow?

Back