London 4 Day Trip

Don't worry, I'll cancel out any un-redeemed youth travel credits for you.

It's just that sadly, I need at least a Marriott and a private toilet now.

I want the ability to read the Arizona Republic and poop in the morning without some neckbeard that got lucky using his dad's buddy pass screaming "Come on old man!"

Yep, get an refillable Oyster card for the tube and you can go anywhere you like.

Waldorf Astoria is in the theater district and is nice, plenty of great food in the area (hint....if its great it ain't british food))

Yep, get an refillable Oyster card for the tube and you can go anywhere you like.

Waldorf Astoria is in the theater district and is nice, plenty of great food in the area (hint....if its great it ain't british food))

About the only two things I found acceptable in London to eat other than their vast array of awesome ethnic food was bangers and mash.

It's just that sadly, I need at least a Marriott and a private toilet now.

I want the ability to read the Arizona Republic and poop in the morning without some neckbeard that got lucky using his dad's buddy pass screaming "Come on old man!"

Haha, I saw I'd been quoted and was trying to figure it out and now I get it . . . this thread was started two years ago.

Well I'm glad to see I had continued to put my money where my mouth was in that post; 56 countries worth of non-revving and counting . . .

Booked someone's flat through airbnb. Probably more expensive than a hotel, but we have a full kitchen so we are not eating out three meals/day.
20/20 hind site. Probably should have looked into a train somewhere else, or perhaps done a ZED fare to DBN, then home. Departure fees from LHR are... substantial. Unfortunately at this point with the money I'd lose on the flat leaving a day early I would not gain anything.

Booked someone's flat through airbnb. Probably more expensive than a hotel, but we have a full kitchen so we are not eating out three meals/day.
20/20 hind site. Probably should have looked into a train somewhere else, or perhaps done a ZED fare to DBN, then home. Departure fees from LHR are... substantial. Unfortunately at this point with the money I'd lose on the flat leaving a day early I would not gain anything.

Just a heads up on eating, unless your down for straight pub fare (bangers and mash, fish and chips, etc) England is F'n all expensive.

My wife and Im saved a bit of cash making sure we used this string of chain pubs in London that were in every tourist district but had a different name based on the theme of the area. For instance over by the klink museum it's called "the anchor." We found the first one next door to the Hard Rock Cafe (called the "Rose and crown") by accident and all of the use the same design with a different name. Great food and probably about 30 bucks a meal cheaper every time we ate somewhere. St Katherine's Wharf across the street from the Tower of London is another one. Pretty decent food since your kinda across the river from the main tourist areas.

Also I didn't see this on the list of neat places, the Golden Hind is a replica of Francis Drakes actual ship. Seeing the size of that vessel and taking the tour was well worth the ten bucks a person it cost. If you wanna go see the Cutty Sark, might as well make the day out of that and see the Naval museum and The observatory at greenwich. Your kinda out off the main area so you burn a lot of time just getting out there.

How substantial are the LHR fees? I'm planning on going over there in a few months and might plan differently.

How substantial are the LHR fees? I'm planning on going over there in a few months and might plan differently.

I paid around $350 for the wife and I back in July. So far it's been the most expensive nonrev ticket I can find.

I paid around $350 for the wife and I back in July. So far it's been the most expensive nonrev ticket I can find.
Yep. Would actually cover the cost of a ZED fare from London to somewhere else in Europe such as Dublin or AMS, pay their fees and still have money left over.
At this time there is no point in jumping through that hoop.

Yep. Would actually cover the cost of a ZED fare from London to somewhere else in Europe such as Dublin or AMS, pay their fees and still have money left over.
At this time there is no point in jumping through that hoop.

Yep, I took the trip in between ground school and the sims so I didn't have access to ZED fares yet. I think the wife and I are going to try for Australia this February and will definitely be exploring our ZED options with only one flight a day out on Delta.

1. Oyster card. Can be used in subway, buses, and even river "buses". Can be purchased at LHR subway stop via a machine.
2. This was a good time of year to go. Business class both ways. No major lines.
3. River tour was nice way to get a quick layout in about an hour.
4. Airbnb again. Wide price range, often a nice way to meet people. I've had very good succeed with it over the years. Also liked having a place where we had access to a kitchen so we did not eat out three times a day.
5. Soccer matches can be tough tickets to get.
6. I used the City Rail Map and London Bus apps. Very helpful.

Back