London 4 Day Trip

cmhumphr

So next week I'm off to London for the first time and for those who have been, what are some recommendations of places to go and things to see? I've already looked into the more common sites (Big Ben, Houses of Parliament, London Eye, etc) but what are some of the not so common places to go?

So next week I'm off to London for the first time and for those who have been, what are some recommendations of places to go and things to see? I've already looked into the more common sites (Big Ben, Houses of Parliament, London Eye, etc) but what are some of the not so common places to go?

Hyde Park, Tower of London, the Bowie Exhibit (don't bother, the line is months long), the War Room, Buckingham Palace and Nandos for some Piri-Pri Chicken.

Airport security, and taxes, are ridiculous at Heathrow.

I did the Camden Pub Crawl when I was there in the fall. It was a blast and a great way to meet/party with people from all over the world!

Anyone know of any hotel discounts in the area? I was planning on staying at the Holiday Inn located in Greenwich. A bit far from Heathrow, but it's slightly cheaper.

How old are you? If you're still young, hit a hostel and enjoy the city!

I'm 23. I've stayed in plenty of hostels before so it's not necessarily a new experience but a good way to save money and meet people. I don't really know any good hostels in London.

I'm 23. I've stayed in plenty of hostels before so it's not necessarily a new experience but a good way to save money and meet people. I don't really know any good hostels in London.
It's London! There's a hostel every block. Great way to sow your wild oats too!

Hostel! I wish I did it while I was in my 20's but didn't know it the value of international travel and hostels.

Bump. Going with my teenage (15) son this weekend for 4-5 days.
Not sure about the hostel thing with him.... probably airbnb.
What part of town would be recommended?
Entertainment ideas?
Train to France or Amsterdam?

Anything you are going to do if it has online reservation do it. There are lines to stand in just to get tickets longer than lines for events.

Dress nice. The English frown on the poorly dressed tourist and your service will reflect. Basically dress for dinner the way most Americans dress for church. Buttons not T-shirts, leather not tennis shoes, etc.

Also everything you want to see opens around 10 and closes by 4... Seriously it's hard to get more than two places in a day I they are big attractions so plan accordingly.

Go find stuff. Get a day pass on the tube, do a bit of TripAdvisor/google maps, then hop off the tube and walk. Especially down by Parliament House, walk along the river, visit Chelsea, pop in a place that looks great to eat at (don't eat at the bar - ask me how I know).

Explore and then give recommendations to us. :)

Found a place on Airbnb by Victoria Station.
I've got Trip Advisor. Great app.
I'll let you know how it goes. Flight is wide open- only a question of business class or coach.

If you are into military history check out the IWM and Churchill War Rooms, also the Tower of London is a fun tour. The National Gallery is at Trafalgar Square and is a great art museum. Things still on my list to do are the British Museum, the Cutty Sark, the Science Museum. Also check out Westminster, St. Paul's Cathedral, and the Tate Modern which is another art museum.

Be careful crossing the streets, remember to look right. You can get anywhere in town via shoe leather and the tube, traffic is usually a nightmare so only use taxis if headed into or out of the city. If you are flying into Heathrow you can use the Heathrow Express right into town which works great.

Have fun and hopefully the weather isn't too British.

2nd the tube pass.

With the inner city lines and the efficiency of that system there is literally no reason to take a cab to hit any tourist spot in London.

I've never seen a better Subway in Europe, here, or in Asia.

Back