LogTen Pro X Assistance

Haha, this product has the whole spectrum of reviews.

It's a fantastic product, but the catch is the price is substantially higher than it was previously. Despite what @ATN_Pilot says about what it takes to make a profit, which I respect, doesn't change the fact many people don't want to spend more money on it.

I've gotten screwed twice. I have had to "buy" it twice and when they decided to update it one day I lost a year and a half of data and have yet to be able to fix it. I won't renew with their new system so I'm back to lala land with it all.

I think it's a great product and I have been using it since 2006 I think. But I refuse to pay the subscription and I'm keeping the previous version. I simply have to sync the old fashion way. My gripe is this: They really didn't add that much more functionality into the new version to justify me paying that yearly fee when I already owned the previous version and it works great. Lastly, in order to try to push people to upgrade, the stopped updates to the previous version when Yosemite came out. Prior to it you could use iCloud to update your logbooks. I know they could have fixed it, but chose not to in order to push their new product.

I've used it for quite a while (since 2007ish). I agree with both sides of this post. The latest "upgrade" has caused me more hassle than I would have liked and I've had to pay more for that hassle. That said, the product -though still lacking many features I'd like- is fundamentally very good IMO, and the service is excellent. I'm keeping it and working to improve it with better reports.

One problem I've recently encountered is the printing of reports. There are a multitude of various reports which LPT can generate, but one option it sorely lacks is to produce a report with custom fields. You're stuck with what they give you, and the file format which can print on 8.5x11 lacks a few columns of flight time I consider important (dual given, most notably). There are some workarounds for this limitation, but I was disappointed in this as a whole.

That said, the rest of the program works nicely and it is able to import my flight time from my company's activity sheets, which makes updating a breeze.

One problem I've recently encountered is the printing of reports. There are a multitude of various reports which LPT can generate, but one option it sorely lacks is to produce a report with custom fields. You're stuck with what they give you, and the file format which can print on 8.5x11 lacks a few columns of flight time I consider important (dual given, most notably). There are some workarounds for this limitation, but I was disappointed in this as a whole.

That said, the rest of the program works nicely and it is able to import my flight time from my company's activity sheets, which makes updating a breeze.
You're actually not stuck with what they give you. Assuming you know HTML, you can create new- or modify existing- reports to great effect.

You're actually not stuck with what they give you. Assuming you know HTML, you can create new- or modify existing- reports to great effect.

I used to dabble in HTML back in the heady days of 28.8 modems connecting to AOL, but that's pretty rudimentary stuff compared to what people use these days. I haven't dug in to LTP enough to figure out how to deconstruct and rebuild any of its output. My time is better spent with our 7 week old and keeping my knowledge sharp in case I get an interview.

After a bit of research, I did find a Staples here which knew what to do with the "Jeppesen 26 line" output and was able to print it and bind it for under $40.

Yeah, how dare DirecTV charge me for a television signal! Every month those bastards want me to pay them! Who do they think they are?

:rolleyes:

Pay for the service or don't. But don't act like they're doing something unethical by increasing their pricing or changing their price model.

That's the thing-it's a product, not a service. There is no service provided, and an ongoing fee is inappropriate.

I fail to see how people think this is right. I don't pay $0.73/day for my bed, $0.40/day for my chair, $1.20/day for my stove, $4.65/day for my car, $0.32/day for my toilet, $2.44/day for my computer, $0.15/day for my guitar, etc.

It is a product, not a service. The pricing model is inappropriate, and the price is too expensive.

That's really all there is to it, but since you brought up DirecTV for some inane reason, let me point out that DirecTV IS a service, and they PAY for programming on an ongoing basis. They also have freaking satellites on orbit. You're comparing a fairly simple piece of software with $99/year distribution cost to a company that has an actual fleet of satellites on orbit.

You should be ashamed of yourself.

-Fox

Nonsense. I pay monthly for my car. It's not a "service," either. It's a lease. I pay for the use of the car. It's an alternative pricing model to purchasing the car outright. The car company has every right to offer that as a pricing methodology, just as Corradine has every right to make whatever pricing model they want. Don't like their model? Don't buy their product. But where you go off the rails is claiming that they are "wrong" to price their product in a way that you don't like.

Yeah, how dare DirecTV charge me for a television signal! Every month those bastards want me to pay them! Who do they think they are?

:rolleyes:

Pay for the service or don't. But don't act like they're doing something unethical by increasing their pricing or changing their price model.

Oh trust me, you wouldn't believe the number of irate people I used to deal with, when they saw DirecTV blimp branded vehicles or the blimp. They would unleash on us about how the blimp caused their service to be so much more expensive.

"Sir, we have nothing to do with DirecTV, other than advertising" didn't make them much happier.

Logbook Pro, cough, Logbook Pro

Back