LogTen Pro X Assistance

BaronPete

Jaw Harp Troubadour
So, I've been considering making the plunge into electronic logbooks. With my recent switch from PC to Apple, the obvious choice is LogTen Pro.

However, I'm not quite clear on how the new subscription model works with the full computer version.

As it stands now, I understand that via the AppStore you subscribe on a time basis of your choice for the App on mobile devices (iPhone, iPad, etc.) Given this, I figured the full computer version would also be available as part of the same monthly or annual fee. Unfortunately, it looks like they want a separate $89.99 for the desktop version of the software that is available in the Mac App Store.

Can anyone clear this up for me? In order to use the full gamut of the software, I need to subscribe monthly or annually for the mobile platform and pay a separate $89.99 for the laptop software?

So, I've been considering making the plunge into electronic logbooks. With my recent switch from PC to Apple, the obvious choice is LogTen Pro.

However, I'm not quite clear on how the new subscription model works with the full computer version.

As it stands now, I understand that via the AppStore you subscribe on a time basis of your choice for the App on mobile devices (iPhone, iPad, etc.) Given this, I figured the full computer version would also be available as part of the same monthly or annual fee. Unfortunately, it looks like they want a separate $89.99 for the desktop version of the software that is available in the Mac App Store.

Can anyone clear this up for me? In order to use the full gamut of the software, I need to subscribe monthly or annually for the mobile platform and pay a separate $89.99 for the laptop software?
As a (very) long-time customer of Coradine, I absolutely can't recommend their products anymore. They became terminally greedy, won't back down even in the face of all their users saying "NO", and I have been very disappointed with the latest version. Cloud sync hasn't been working for me since purchase.

-Fox

As a (very) long-time customer of Coradine, I absolutely can't recommend their products anymore. They became terminally greedy, won't back down even in the face of all their users saying "NO", and I have been very disappointed with the latest version. Cloud sync hasn't been working for me since purchase.

-Fox

Thanks for the feedback, Acro. I've read the horror stories of people having to buy it over and over etc. My assumption/hope was that moving to the subscription-based program ala Foreflight would resolve many issues. It doesn't make it any less crappy for those who have been screwed in the past, but at least for a new person coming on board.

Are you using something else instead? I hear good things about Logbook Pro, but I really don't want to run Parallels and fool with all of that.

I'm still using LTP and for the most part it has a lot of features that I like. It generally works well, and they usually respond with help within a week if I have an issue.

That said, the new pricing model was a little confusing at first. And I'm guessing it's still subject to change. But at this point, you have two different purchases to make.

First is the desktop version at $89.99 in the Mac App Store. It's not a subscription-based piece of software. Buy it once and keep it. But keep in mind if you update your computer OS or they come out with a new version with new features, you may need to upgrade for full (or possibly discounted) price.

Second, if you really want to carry your logbook with you and do minor entries/edits on the iPhone or iPad, you'll need the iOS version from the App Store. Download for free but pay a subscription fee to sync more than 40 hours - and there's no real point in having this unless you use it to sync. But the iOS versions are definitely not necessary.

If you're looking to do this and have a Mac, I'd start with the desktop version and only do the iOS version if you like the novelty of carrying your numbers with you or need to constantly add minor edits. Hope this helps.

I'm still using LTP and for the most part it has a lot of features that I like. It generally works well, and they usually respond with help within a week if I have an issue.

That said, the new pricing model was a little confusing at first. And I'm guessing it's still subject to change. But at this point, you have two different purchases to make.

First is the desktop version at $89.99 in the Mac App Store. It's not a subscription-based piece of software. Buy it once and keep it. But keep in mind if you update your computer OS or they come out with a new version with new features, you may need to upgrade for full (or possibly discounted) price.

Second, if you really want to carry your logbook with you and do minor entries/edits on the iPhone or iPad, you'll need the iOS version from the App Store. Download for free but pay a subscription fee to sync more than 40 hours - and there's no real point in having this unless you use it to sync. But the iOS versions are definitely not necessary.

If you're looking to do this and have a Mac, I'd start with the desktop version and only do the iOS version if you like the novelty of carrying your numbers with you or need to constantly add minor edits. Hope this helps.

Great feedback, thanks for your time!

Thanks for the feedback, Acro. I've read the horror stories of people having to buy it over and over etc. My assumption/hope was that moving to the subscription-based program ala Foreflight would resolve many issues. It doesn't make it any less crappy for those who have been screwed in the past, but at least for a new person coming on board.

Don't get me wrong, it's still decent software... probably the best out there. But it hasn't received any really significant updates in years.

Are you using something else instead? I hear good things about Logbook Pro, but I really don't want to run Parallels and fool with all of that.

I'm still using LogTen Pro. When the subscription comes due, I'm definitely not going to renew the mobile version.

If anything else comes along that's even remotely as nice, I'm jumping ship. I'm tired of companies that don't listen to their customers, and I'm tired of greedy entities in aviation gouging their market. It's amazing how much blood they extract from this stone.

-Fox

Don't get me wrong, it's still decent software... probably the best out there. But it hasn't received any really significant updates in years.

I'm still using LogTen Pro. When the subscription comes due, I'm definitely not going to renew the mobile version.

If anything else comes along that's even remotely as nice, I'm jumping ship. I'm tired of companies that don't listen to their customers, and I'm tired of greedy entities in aviation gouging their market. It's amazing how much blood they extract from this stone.

-Fox

Well said. At this juncture, I'm considering purchasing the desktop version. I don't fly enough (yet, hopefully) to justify carrying it around via iPad.

I'm still using it and very happy with it. The people bitching about the cost need to wise up and realize that isn't exactly easy to make a profit on a niche product like a pilot logbook.

I'm still using it and very happy with it. The people bitching about the cost need to wise up and realize that isn't exactly easy to make a profit on a niche product like a pilot logbook.

If it were such a niche product, people wouldn't be using Excel spreadsheets or pen and ink to accomplish the same task.

I think application developers have underestimated the costs of keeping up with each Apple iOS update...

Sure it does. If LogTen were such a fantastic product that everyone HAD to have, then everyone would have it. You're trying to say we should stop complaining and bend over because it's our only option. Nobody says you have to use an electronic logbook, or a paid one. There are plenty of other electronic logbooks on the market and some have been around for years. If people do not feel that Coradine's asinine policy of over charging their customers is worth it, then so be it.

As a user, I do not feel the $75/year or whatever scheme he has come up with now is worth it. I don't care what his expenses are and what goes into making his software. I just know that the one I have now works fine and I do not intent to pay a yearly fee to enter numbers into a computer. His price point is now above what I would consider paying. Simple.

motormadness24 said:
You're trying to say we should stop complaining and bend over because it's our only option.

In fact, I didn't say that at all. I said that it's a niche product difficult for the developer to make a profit on, so their only choice is to raise pricing. If you feel that it's no longer worthwhile to you at that price, then don't buy it. But don't act like they're somehow being unreasonable in charging what it takes to make a profit.

I've been using it for years. Have the desktop and mobile versions (LTP X)...including subscription. They have great support. I had an issue the other day, emailed them, had response and resolution the next day.

Highly recommend.

I've been using SafeLog and I like it. Granted my last computer logbook was CaptainsLog 2000. SafeLog let me import a .csv file and i had to do very little tweaking after the import. I think it will also import from LTP. SafeLog also offers a service to import your logbooj where they will have someone verify the integrity of the data. SafeLog is subscription based and I paid for 3 years worth (I cannot recall the price). They do offer free subscription extensions for referrals and both parties get the extension. As for the phone app, it is a one time fee and will sync with your account as long as it is in good standing. If you do get SafeLog, don't bother with the desktop app. The company changed some stuff and half the capabilites are used online through the desktop app. It is better to do all the logging using the online interface.

Back