Logging PIC 135

For 135 freighter, specifically cancelled checks, legal = slow.
In my time doing freight, I was never asked to do anything illegal. I was never questioned for writing something up. I was never questioned for grounding a airplane away from a mx base.
What mx, and probably your fellow pilots will do is make fun of you if you write up, or divert for something that isn't broken because you don't understand the systems.

I've always been of the belief that the rules are meant to be enforced by those tasked to enforce the rules. I positively loathe those who simply break whatever rules are inconvenient to them, with no thought to how it might affect others. But I equally loathe those who spend the few hours of life they're given busying themselves by being being Informers or Apparatchiks. I follow the rules as I understand them. Every time. No exceptions, ever. But I wouldn't piss on an Informer if they were on fire. These notions are not, as far as I understand it, mutually exclusive.

A very good "philosophical" way to live, ie live and let live.

Is there any room for self preservation in that? Do you not call out the king air operator who took the flight you turned down because the weather was below mins all night. You then have to do the carpet dance the next morning because "another operator completed the flight". Do you shrug your shoulders and let the "higher ups" think you are incompetent or sandbagging the night shift or do roast the other operator openly?

A very good "philosophical" way to live, ie live and let live.

Is there any room for self preservation in that? Do you not call out the king air operator who took the flight you turned down because the weather was below mins all night. You then have to do the carpet dance the next morning because "another operator completed the flight". Do you shrug your shoulders and let the "higher ups" think you are incompetent or sandbagging the night shift or do roast the other operator openly?
Well if the operator you fly for is reputable at all, then they are just as capable or reading a metar, and pax in any form is not freight. From my very limited experience in this side of the industry, this doesn't seem like a scenario that's even possible of happening given everything working against the flight happening from the beginning.

Happened. It was an interesting and eye opening conversation the next day.

Don't be too "naive" to think there are not a good chunk of pilots and operators out there that will and do blatantly break the rules in the name of revenue.

It's a good story for beers and brisket.

Happened. It was an interesting and eye opening conversation the next day.

Don't be too "naive" to think there are not a good chunk of pilots and operators out there that will and do blatantly break the rules in the name of revenue.

It's a good story for beers and brisket.
Well I know at the company I'm at now, I'd be fired. I suspect the company Boris is at would be having not of that nonsense either.

I will take you up on the Brisket though.

If your a/c is not painted in specific company colors and/or with a company logo and the wx is below mins, you just refile under your N number. That way, they think you are a part 91 operation and you still stay on schedule. Problem solved.

If your a/c is not painted in specific company colors and/or with a company logo and the wx is below mins, you just refile under your N number. That way, they think you are a part 91 operation and you still stay on schedule. Problem solved.
Lol, wow. Can you re-file en-route?

Another trick I "heard" about being done and this takes local knowledge of the layout of the airport's transmissometers, is when then wx is below takeoff mins, direct your tailpipe's exhaust to the TDZ transmissometer and run up the power for short time. Odds are your runway will now be at or above takeoff mins.

Another trick I "heard" about being done and this takes local knowledge of the layout of the airport's transmissometers, is when then wx is below takeoff mins, direct your tailpipe's exhaust to the TDZ transmissometer and run up the power for short time. Odds are your runway will now be at or above takeoff mins.
Oh, I've seen and had this done.
At a dual mil/civ airport, wx is below my takeoff mins, but there's a couple F-15's that take the runway and go. It actually cleared a good portion of it for long enough to get out.

direct your tailpipe's exhaust to the TDZ transmissometer and run up the power for short time. Odds are your runway will now be at or above takeoff mins.

Oh that's 100% legit, done it myself. We're all judged by the Letter of the Law. I don't go in to gray areas, but I take full advantage of every inch of possibility within the Black And White Law that I can. I've heard uh stories also about guys deliberately having looooooonnnnggggg, one-sided conversations with tower when another guy is shooting an approach outside the marker and it seems likely to go below mins. It's a game and like any other game it has Rules. And the best players are those who can operate 100% in strict accordance with the Rules, but also Get the Job Done when someone else might not. Or so I see it, anyway.

PS. The ole "tailpipe to the RVR sensor" trick is yet ANOTHER argument for a Garrett. Try dissipating the fog with your stupid PT-6.

Oh that's 100% legit, done it myself. We're all judged by the Letter of the Law. I don't go in to gray areas, but I take full advantage of every inch of possibility within the Black And White Law that I can. I've heard uh stories also about guys deliberately having looooooonnnnggggg, one-sided conversations with tower when another guy is shooting an approach outside the marker and it seems likely to go below mins. It's a game and like any other game it has Rules. And the best players are those who can operate 100% in strict accordance with the Rules, but also Get the Job Done when someone else might not. Or so I see it, anyway.

PS. The ole "tailpipe to the RVR sensor" trick is yet ANOTHER argument for a Garrett. Try dissipating the fog with your stupid PT-6.

We move that freight on those foggy dakota mornings. :)

Do you not call out the king air operator who took the flight you turned down because the weather was below mins all night.

I don't. It's not my business. I don't know what that PIC saw. Maybe the weather broke up for a minute and he's actually the better pilot. Maybe he's got the owner on board and he's 91. Maybe his Opspecs permit operations that mine don't. I have no idea. And I don't want to. Because it's none of my business.

You then have to do the carpet dance the next morning because "another operator completed the flight". Do you shrug your shoulders and let the "higher ups" think you are incompetent or sandbagging the night shift or do roast the other operator openly?

I've never worked for a company that would do that under any circumstances, and I worked for 3 different 135 freight operators, which I'm told are ALL "shady". Every one of them was highly professional and, provided that you made every effort to complete the flight, you would never hear another word about it, whether "Operator X" made it or not. IMHO, there's a lot of BS thrown out there by people who couldn't hack it in freight because their "personal minimums" weren't the minimums in the Opspecs. If it's legal to go and there isn't some obvious reason that I could explain to my boss NOT to go, I go. Because that's my job. I can assure you that they're not paying me for my good looks.

My Pratts produce 116,000 pounds of thrust. My APU is a derivative of the engine on your mighty Mitsi!

http://www.honeywell.com/sites/port...d=H544A09A8-A70B-FA73-F93C-6AEFB3D0FB6D&sel=4

I hasten to add, though, that it wasn't a shot at Dugie when I said some "couldn't hack it". IMS, he's BTDT. I was speaking in general.

Back