Logbook question

Regarding what you log - what are some categories of info that might need to be tracked that feature in job applications, that aren't already in the typical logbook format? That is, what info would be good to track in blank columns for a 121 career?

I'm talking about the not-so-obvious stuff. If I track it now, it should be less of a hassle trying to figure out how much "time spent in the lav while the captain flew class G airspace night inverted single engine thunderstorm cross country time" I have when HR reps from Company X ask for the application.
One common one is time acting as PIC, since the PIC Logbook column (and the FAA) doesn't include that.

Its really not that hard and doesn't take up that much extra space to do leg by leg. I think it looks much better for interview standards as well, if that's something you are interested in.

Couple weeks ago I worked a 20 leg 4 day. That would take up one and a half pages of my logbook if I logged leg by leg, but instead it only takes up 4 lines. I'd spend more time filling out my logbook than I do time in the air if I logged each leg at the airlines. Yes, it does take up a lot of extra space, and requires a lot of extra work. That's why I log day by day.

There's no right or wrong answer. I would go as far as saying that I don't believe for one second that even a Delta interviewer is going to care at all that you logged legs vs day. As long as it's neat and there aren't scribbles, drawings, etc all over the pages, I'm pretty sure you'll be just fine.

Kind of tagging on what Mark wrote, I try to have a few lines here or there that meet FAA requirements. For example, I may not log all my instrument approaches, but I log enough of them so if I'm flying GA I can prove currency.

Regarding what you log - what are some categories of info that might need to be tracked that feature in job applications, that aren't already in the typical logbook format? That is, what info would be good to track in blank columns for a 121 career?

I'm talking about the not-so-obvious stuff. If I track it now, it should be less of a hassle trying to figure out how much "time spent in the lav while the captain flew class G airspace night inverted single engine thunderstorm cross country time" I have when HR reps from Company X ask for the application.
I logged 135 xcty time in a separate column when I was building time. After I hit 500 regular xcty I just stopped carrying it over and it disappeared. When I upgraded I logged TPIC in a seperate column.

Back