Logbook question

When you fly for a living, logging leg by leg would take up way too much space and take forever to do. Each line of my logbook is a day, and include my route in the remarks on my paper logbook.

So how do you deal with switch aircraft during the same day?

So how do you deal with switch aircraft during the same day?

You log all the different tail numbers by the day. That's how I did it.

One tail with the routing you flew in it, plane swap start a new line with the new tail number and log the routing that you flew on that. Then you had the day where you had 4 plane swaps flying two legs in each airplane... That was a high workload day on the logbook.

When eagle made FOs get the ATP certificate, they wanted every flight day logged leg by leg so a lot of folks had to redo their logbooks if they logged them day by day.

When it came up to interview for another job, it didn't matter how you logged them. I gave them my printed electronic logbook logged leg by leg and the paper ones logged day by day by tail number.

I printed up a one page summary sheet which logged all of my flight time year over year by type for turbine aircraft and category for the multi engine and single engine piston, rotorcraft, and glider, and on the side I totaled up time by aircraft make and model. within the flight time blocks I indicated when I got my private, instrument, commercial, type ratings, and ATP and indicated which airline I was flying for...

They ignored all of my logbooks and just looked at my summary sheet and called it good and snarked that I must not have liked flying helos because I logged a few flights and stopped and laughed when I indicated a column for A320 time in the future logged with a "?"

When you fly for a living, logging leg by leg would take up way too much space and take forever to do. Each line of my logbook is a day, and include my route in the remarks on my paper logbook.

Its really not that hard and doesn't take up that much extra space to do leg by leg. I think it looks much better for interview standards as well, if that's something you are interested in.

Whats the consensus on logging by the day vs leg by leg? Would a major look unfavorably upon this?
Absolutely not.

I have a successful legacy interview where I logged day by day. I personally know someone who interviewed successfulyl at another legacy logging month by month.

It looked like this
Code:
Date     |   A/C tail  |     FROM    |      TO     |   Flight times/etc/
1/1/2015 | 451/450/462 | PHL-DTW-PHL | BWI-PHL-ERI | 7.7 xxxxx |

I just seperated the tails by slashes as you can see. Made it a LOT easier than doing leg by leg. Why people would do leg by leg, I mean, really, wow, that is a lot of paper to lug around to your interview.

Don't be too anal. Time is just a qualifier. If you've been at an airline for the last 3+ years they know you have the time and qualifications to work there. Present it however you wish.

Its really not that hard and doesn't take up that much extra space to do leg by leg. I think it looks much better for interview standards as well, if that's something you are interested in.
Really? I routinely had 5-6-7 even 8 leg days. An 8 leg day would take up half a page. Doing it on one line would take up exactly...one line.

Interview standards? No, they don't care. Guy in my interview group used an MS Excel spreadsheet to log his stuff, he was hired.

Really? I routinely had 5-6-7 even 8 leg days. An 8 leg day would take up half a page. Doing it on one line would take up exactly...one line.

Interview standards? No, they don't care. Guy in my interview group used an MS Excel spreadsheet to log his stuff, he was hired.

Meh, that's fine, people can log however they want. I'm of the school of thought of 'why not try to make it look as nice as possible' vs 'this is good enough and will save me $5 on printing', especially for a big interview. My point was that it really isn't that much harder to do leg by leg with an E logbook.

Meh, that's fine, people can log however they want. I'm of the school of thought of 'why not try to make it look as nice as possible' vs 'this is good enough and will save me $5 on printing', especially for a big interview. My point was that it really isn't that much harder to do leg by leg with an E logbook.
Lugging a 50 lb logbook to an interview doesn't look bad?

C'mon man, logging day by day doesn't detract one iota from you as a person. Either way doesn't look more professional or less. It's inconsequential.

Why people would do leg by leg, I mean, really, wow, that is a lot of paper to lug around to your interview.
Lugging a 50 lb logbook to an interview doesn't look bad?

I log leg-by-leg.

I also had a successful legacy interview where all I did was print out my elogbook and added a few summary pages and scans of original endorsements. Barely filled 3/4 of a 1" D-ring binder at the time.

Took up less space and weight than my laptop normally would have taken in that spot of my bag.

I used to make notes in my logbook about every flight or just anything notable. Now I just log the bare minimum. I don't even log the N numbers anymore. Too much to keep up with when you switch planes a couple times a day to fly 30 min legs on the Charlotte shuttle.

I log leg-by-leg.

I also had a successful legacy interview where all I did was print out my elogbook and added a few summary pages and scans of original endorsements. Barely filled 3/4 of a 1" D-ring binder at the time.

Took up less space and weight than my laptop normally would have taken in that spot of my bag.
So we've established that it doesn't matter how you log.

Which was my point.

Thanks for your help in making it :).

For me, logging just my 121 time leg by leg, would've taken 400+ pages at 14 lines per page, IIRC that was how many entries per page in the Logbook Pro template I used. Roughly. That is basically one ream of paper. You are fortunate your number was called with so little time :).

Last edited:
When I bother to do it, it's day by day. One DC-9 looks just like the next. AC# 9941, 9932, 9832, 9978, DTW-TVC-DTW-FNT-DTW-GRR on one line. Plus there's the old red-book and our company now provides a breakdown leg by leg.

I use to use an old DOS program called AEROLOG, which was actually fairly handy for its time. If I still did computer logging, I'd just set up an Excel spreadsheet lest some company go out of business or try to hold my data hostage with some kind of encrypted proprietary format.

Richman

I fly for a legacy and use the little red book. Our scheduling software is so outdated, there's no way to import my schedule (and it's about to get more outdated...going from DOS to FORTRAN). I then take what I wrote down in the little red book and transfer it into LogTenPro on my phone during the commute. When I get home, I sync the phone up to the computer and transfer the data.

Our scheduling program only keeps data for 90 days (limits of something invented in the 70s) so logging the time helps me keep track of things.

I log leg by leg in the little red book, but my master log is day by day. Electronic logbooks came out way into the game for me. The thought of trying to import 10,000+ hours into an electronic log (when they first came out) was just too daunting so I'm stuck with paper. I think day by day looks really nice in the logbooks and keeps them manageable in size. In case they ever get lost I have the little red books as a back up along with some company lifetime flight experience printouts. I also like the ability to make notes in the paper logbook's remarks section. Usually it's just the name of the guys I am flying with and what type of check or training event it is.

Typhoonpilot

So we've established that it doesn't matter how you log.

Which was my point.

Thanks for your help in making it :).

You're welcome! :)

I've always been in the log what you want how you want camp. It's just easier for me to do leg-by-leg.

For me, logging just my 121 time leg by leg, would've taken 400+ pages at 14 lines per page, IIRC that was how many entries per page in the Logbook Pro template I used. Roughly. That is basically one ream of paper. You are fortunate your number was called with so little time :).

Use a different template? :)

I use Logbook Pro as well, and by using a portrait orientation, I can get 34 lines per page.

Perfect timing! I need to get caught up on my logbook, and I was mulling over the question in my head "one leg per line or one day per line?"

I then get on JC and there's the answer staring me in the face. I'm going to stick with what I'm doing that I have not transferred to my paper logbook just yet, but I'm going one day per line unless I changed aircraft. I put the whole N# so it wouldn't work out if I tried to put every ship on one line. Plus it goes better with my electronic logbook which keeps track of each individual tail number.

I used to make notes in my logbook about every flight or just anything notable. Now I just log the bare minimum. I don't even log the N numbers anymore. Too much to keep up with when you switch planes a couple times a day to fly 30 min legs on the Charlotte shuttle.
Keep in mind what 61.51 says about what needs to be included for flights that we choose to log. Of course, if you are not logging for FAA pruposes, it doesn't matter.

Regarding what you log - what are some categories of info that might need to be tracked that feature in job applications, that aren't already in the typical logbook format? That is, what info would be good to track in blank columns for a 121 career?

I'm talking about the not-so-obvious stuff. If I track it now, it should be less of a hassle trying to figure out how much "time spent in the lav while the captain flew class G airspace night inverted single engine thunderstorm cross country time" I have when HR reps from Company X ask for the application.

Back