Logbook Pro to Charge for Schedule Importer

SRA_kbad

Scooter Trash!!!
https://schedule.logbookpro.com/

logo.jpg

26 Nov 2010: NC Software announces the immediate availability of Airline Schedule Importer 8.0. The location of the Airline Schedule Importer changed and is now integrated into your "My Account" area of www.nc-software.com. To access the new schedule importer click the link below. Please update your favorites/bookmarks.
As the new schedule importer is integrated with your personal account, login is now required. If you have an account at NC Software simply login or use the forgot password link to reset your account. Otherwise create a new account on the right side of the sign-in page.
Effective 1 Jan 2011 the schedule importer will be a subscription based service. Subscriptions are offered in three term lengths: 30-days, 1 year, and 2 years. Subscriptions cost as little as $5.00/month based on the two year plan. It is FREE for the remainder of 2010.
The new schedule importer system provides new functionality and integrations and is now associated wth your personal cloud storage at NC Software. Logbook Pro PC edition can now import your stored schedule information directly with the new integration in Logbook Pro 1.11.0 and later and no longer requires importing of .trp files. In mid-December we hope to release the updates to Logbook Pro for iPhone and iPad which will also offer schedule importing using the new system.
We improved the editing capability with a more efficient inline editor by clicking the action buttons on the right side of a row. Your trips are saved to the cloud automatically until downloaded or imported by a participating application such as Logbook Pro PC or the iPhone/iPad apps (when available). As before you can download the required files to import into your APDL Palm OS or Windows Mobile software. New: You can now download iCalendar (.ics) files now to import your schedules into your favorite calendar application with or without reminders. Set the reminder interval as desired prior to downloading the ics file. UTC is no longer required for your trip source although it is still preferred. We now capture block and credit time and use that for the duration calculations allowing timezones to be ignored.
For complete details on the new airline schedule importer, features, and subscriptions click here to read our release announcement. With a subscription based model we will be able to better provide you new products and services in the future.
We hope you enjoy the new features of Airline Schedule Importer 8. We look forward to bringing you more great products and services in the coming year.
Sincerely,
Neal Culiner
President, NC Software, Inc.

I personally think it's BS. I understand that they need more of an income stream, but I think they are going about it wrong. It's a chicken and egg thing. If they develop better software (and for more platforms) they'll get more customers. They say they can't afford to do that unless they got more income so they leverage a product that's already out there and people have been using (for free) for years.

I saw this coming a while back (actually, when they switched from the stand alone program to import from to the web form). Unfortunately several hard drive reformats ago I lost the stand alone importer and have been using the web one ever since.

I'm still debating whether or not to spend the money on the schedule importer. As a reserve pilot my schedule changes so often that half the time I manually enter trip data now anyway.

I'll just enter each trip manually. That 5 bucks is an extra six pack of PBR at the crashpad.

At this point, I've just written NC Software off. If they ever come out with something on a phone I use, then I'll look at them again. As of right now, I just go into CrewTrac on my days off (or on ready reserve) and enter my schedule into LBP by hand. It took them, what, 2 or 3 years to finally come out with an iPhone format for Logbook Pro? Still no APDL, though. By the time they come out with an updated version of APDL on Android, iPhone or Windows Phone 7, we'll all have moved on to holo-phones or something.

I agree. They came out with an amazing product set (LBP and APDL) and then rested on their laurels and made no attempt to keep up. Then they completely misread the market and missed the boat on the iphone early on. Oh well. It's a shame to because they are actually pretty good products. Just not updated at all. And now they are trying to wring water from a stone by charging for a "service" that was included for free.

I know Bandit Driver works for/with them, so he may comment on things on this thread sooner or later.

I really wish I hadn't deleted the Windows-based importer years ago. It would still work with my airline's trips.

This sounds intriguing. It was already web-based when I started using it. Does anyone still have the old windows-based version sitting aorund. I'd love to try it.

Likewise for myself. It worked fine for standard CrewWeb sabre imports.

Does that count as pirating software if it was free when it first came out years ago?

Don't know, but I tried searching for it on Google and some of those "old software" sites and got nothing. My search skillz aren't the best, though.

I agree. They came out with an amazing product set (LBP and APDL) and then rested on their laurels and made no attempt to keep up. Then they completely misread the market and missed the boat on the iphone early on.

I would say "convenient" rather than "amazing" products. When I looked at LBP (admittedly, back in 2004) it was nothing more than a fancy front end to a MS Access database. Being tied to Access is also why they never (until recently it seems) developed for mac or iphone. With the core data framework on mac, writing an application with the same functionality would not have been hard (see: LogTen Pro). They also did not develop APDL, they bought it from another company that developed it. Based on email newsletters I received in the past it just seemed like the LBP guy(s) had a predisposition against Apple and refused to write for it. If they had developed a mac version they would have been able to capitalize very easily when the iPhone came out. I dont see these guys as forward looking at all, and they are going to milk their Windows, PalmOS and Windows Mobile 6.x apps as long as they can.

Hi Guys,

You probably COULD run APDL on the iPhone if Apple would permit Styletap to put it's excellent Palm Emulator on the app store. Still no conduits, though, so it really wouldn't do much good.

Had iOS had a file system that was a little more open, it would better. Hell, I could use my iPod Mini as a portable hard drive by just dragging and dropping files over USB and that was 6 years ago. There is absolutely no reason you shouldn't be able to sync your iphone and have data transfer between an app and a program on your PC/Mac.

As for NC, well, yea. Agree with the above. APDL was written by a pair from ACA, and it was AWESOME, but as soon as NC bought the program, any real development seemed to come to a halt.

What amazes me, though, is that someone hasn't stepped in to come up with something similar. Most of the iPhone apps in this regard are bloated pigs, and there isn't anything specifically targeted for the 121 guy.

Richman

There is absolutely no reason you shouldn't be able to sync your iphone and have data transfer between an app and a program on your PC/Mac.

It isnt APDL, but with the logbook pro program for the iphone, you do enter your times, and it syncs with logbook pro on the computer.

I have the schedule importer and transferred it to my laptop. But everytime I try to import a schedule the program crashes. Anyone have an idea on how I could make it work??

There is a market out there for a respectfully priced software suite that can do the EXACT same thing as LogBook Pro...

Don't anyone think that they are the only game in town. They're not. And they're will be more, and better, competition coming out soon.

I happened upon my old copy of the schedule importer and it works fine. I'm still waiting on something new and improved to come out as far as the mobile end goes. LBP works fine as is for what I need, but APDL is kind of a dinosaur on my phone. I'm guessing once the new work rules comes out (if they ever do) there will be some new entrants to the market.

I happened upon my old copy of the schedule importer and it works fine. I'm still waiting on something new and improved to come out as far as the mobile end goes. LBP works fine as is for what I need, but APDL is kind of a dinosaur on my phone. I'm guessing once the new work rules comes out (if they ever do) there will be some new entrants to the market.

The problem with APDL is that the guys at NC Software weren't the original developers. The product was purchased, then sold by NC Software. So, I'm not sure they guy(s) there even know how to make APDL do what it does. What they're doing is integrating SOME of the things APDL does into LBP's mobile app. I've tried Intellipilot for the Android system, and it's okay. It's just more clunky than I like importing into LBP. If a valid product does come out, I'll go for it. Until then, I'll have to see how much it's gonna cost for LBP when it EVENTUALLY comes out for Android once you factor in the schedule importer and the Cloud sync service. If it's too much, I'll just keep putting my stuff in by hand. It's been working for months like that anyway....

Back