Logbook one-liners?

OCflyguy88

Hey everyone, just a question about errors in the logbook. I've found as I've gone back and recalculated my flight times, they don't add up. The total time, and other times such as PIC are incorrect from the original number that I had. The problem is that I wrote the wrong times down at the page total block than what was actually logged on the page. The thing is it took place relatively early. I've filled about 5 pages up, so I'd have to make quite a few one-liners.

What is the best course of action to correct so as to not look sloppy in the future when applying to XYZ airlines. Do airlines see mistakes in a logbook as sloppy? Can I just get another larger logbook (what will I do with the CFI's signatures when I was training), or should I just add an entry adding/deleting flight time and annotating in the remarks it was due to a calculation error?

Thanks for any help!

It would be my guess that when you're applying for XYZ Airlines, they're not going to look so much at your first 40 hours as they are what you've been doing recently. I've made similar mistakes in my log book and had to go back and balance the book and redo everything.

It's a learning experience.

My method:
a nice, single line-through.
a correcting entry noting "correction for erroneous entry mm/dd/yyyy"

Also, I screwed up about 4 pages when trying to put all of my skydiving entries in after 3 months of daily flying. That's when I bought the big Jepp "Professional" pilot logbook and started fresh.

Line though the mistakes, initial next to it, write down the correct time next to it and on the next page make sure you put down the right times. In my 135/121 interviews its never been a problem. People make mistakes. Its no big deal.

A single line to line out the entry allows them to see the original error AND the correction. Besides, it's neater than, say white-out. NEVER use white-out.

To address one of the OP's concerns: it doesn't matter how many pages late you caught the mistake. Just make a legible entry showing the correction.

BTW: how do you do it in your check register? (Please don't answer, What's a check register?)

Line though the mistakes, initial next to it, write down the correct time next to it and on the next page make sure you put down the right times.

That's what I have always been told. Never use white out. I started keeping an electronic logbook as well and it helped me find an error in totaling from two years ago.

green acrylic paint from a hobby store (choose your shade) and start using a pencil.

Well, drats! I've used white once before. I can't remember how long thats been. Oh well.

Can anyone suggest a good electronic version for a logbook? How about something that sync up with a Blackberry for further endeavors (ie. airline flying/CFIing and quick entries, etc, etc). I think that, coupled with starting fresh on a nice Jepp professional 5-foot think (kidding) logbook will be a little over the top, but organized and neat to say the least?

BTW: how do you do it in your check register? (Please don't answer, What's a check register?)

"What's a check...?"

Green (the color) white-out if you want to make it look pretty. http://www.cleansweepsupply.com/pages/item-pap57101.html

No way! I looked everywhere for that stuff before I decided it would be ugly anyway.

Can anyone suggest a good electronic version for a logbook?

Logshare.com is great. Download it to a spreadsheet for the phone or just hit up the webpage.

...coupled with starting fresh on a nice Jepp professional 5-foot think (kidding) logbook will be a little over the top, but organized and neat to say the least?

Yup.

Great, thanks for the help. Another question, call me dumb, but if/when I start with a new logbook what do I do about the entries that the CFI signed for? Just add them in with the CFI's signature?

Logbook Pro isn't bad. Maybe overpriced for what it is, but again it's not bad overall.

For the logbook I would humbly suggest all but ignoring the error if it is small; maybe when you total the next page write the correct total, and make a very small notation at the bottom explaining why the total is not equal to the # of hrs on that particular page.

Otherwise you will end up with pages upon pages of lines and corrections. Mistakes happen. Believe me your flying job won't come down to whether or not you used white out on a couple of lines in your logbook. Don't sweat the small stuff; just keep it as honest, neat, and professional as you can and you'll be fine :)

Great, thanks for the help. Another question, call me dumb, but if/when I start with a new logbook what do I do about the entries that the CFI signed for? Just add them in with the CFI's signature?

There is nothing you can do. Don't forge the signature... if you do choose to begin a new logbook, keep the original in a safe place such that you can provide the signatures if ever required. But unless your original is in horrible shape there's really no reason to start over. Personal opinion only.

• Pen for line entries
  • Pencil for totals
  • Page audit any time totals are calculated (comparing my excel logbook, trip book, and company's records)
  • Logbook audit every two months
  • If an error is detected during the two-month audit, the next available line is used as the one-line correction entry.

Or at least that's how I roll.

You just store the old logbook somewhere safe and fireproof.

You don't need to carry CFI sigs after private, right?

Back