Living on a CFI's salary

Re: Living on a CFI\'s salary

[ QUOTE ]
I couldnt even consider going to full time instructing without my wife's support.

[/ QUOTE ]

I cannot stress the imporatnce of having a supportive wife. When I decided to work at an FBO making a third of what I was bringing in before, it was her who put us over the top. Unfortunately, her salary couldn't support us AND a newborn LOL.

I agree with what most have said...put as much money away before you end up working for peanuts, living on a budget, but dress professionally. Anybody that flies at my schools knows me as the best-dressed CFI. All I do is take care of my clothes as much as possible and wear a tie every time I am instructing.

I also have the best wife in the world, who knows we're going to be making peanuts for a while. Right now, I am sacrificing as much as possible, which means 2 part-time CFI jobs (one weekend, one afternoons), while finishing up my active duty Navy time on shore duty. I have had this planned out since 1999, and now it's working out so far.
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Rent is high everywhere in Cali. I went from paying less than $500 a month for a house (with a pool) to $1245 for a one bedroom with a view of a pool (pool was the next complex over, but the view was nice). It's crazy here

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I have family in the San Diego Area and they are always b*tching about housing costs and rent. If you also want to see high rent or crazy prices for houses or apartments come to the Middlesex, Monmouth, and Ocean Counties of New Jersey as well. Also the living expenses are so high here. Its ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear ya. I live in Manhattan and I am embarassed by how much I pay for a tiny 1br, (it's $1500!!) . I can't wait to get out of here, the cost of living in NYC Metro is insane. Mid-Florida seems like a very reasonable place to set up shop. That's' where I'm headed. Stay away fom here if you want to holdon to your $$$$

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah Manhattan is INSANE with the prices! I am in there all the time and it ALWAYS puts a huge dent in my pocket.

Back