Living on a CFI's salary

Re: Living on a CFI\'s salary

[ QUOTE ]
Rent is high everywhere in Cali. I went from paying less than $500 a month for a house (with a pool) to $1245 for a one bedroom with a view of a pool (pool was the next complex over, but the view was nice). It's crazy here

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I have family in the San Diego Area and they are always b*tching about housing costs and rent. If you also want to see high rent or crazy prices for houses or apartments come to the Middlesex, Monmouth, and Ocean Counties of New Jersey as well. Also the living expenses are so high here. Its ridiculous.

If/when I get a regional job, one of my plans is to move to Texas and commute (unless I'm lucky enough to be domiciled there). I want to be there for personal reasons, but another distinct advantage is the absence of an income tax. Not having to pay income tax (particularly in NC, third only to the People's Republics of California and Taxachusetts in taxation) to the state softens the blow quite a bit. (Also, Houston has the lowest average cost of living among the 25 largest metro areas in the country.)

And, as previously mentioned by other folks, my paid-for '98 Saturn with 123,000 miles on it is going nowhere ... and I suspect it is good for another 100K. Those folks in Spring Hill did it right!

FL270

develop a reputation and then begin to freelance. Its a pay increase of 300% tax free.

[ QUOTE ]
Found mine at a wedding.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll bet the groom was pissed.
wink.gif

so whats a better bet for a second job while CFI'ing: a job in the morning/early afternoon, or night? i want to spend as much time as possible at the airport, so i'm trying to figure out which type of job to get (morning ot night)?

oh, and when i say night i'm refering to hours between 5pm-whenever.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Rent is high everywhere in Cali. I went from paying less than $500 a month for a house (with a pool) to $1245 for a one bedroom with a view of a pool (pool was the next complex over, but the view was nice). It's crazy here

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I have family in the San Diego Area and they are always b*tching about housing costs and rent. If you also want to see high rent or crazy prices for houses or apartments come to the Middlesex, Monmouth, and Ocean Counties of New Jersey as well. Also the living expenses are so high here. Its ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear ya. I live in Manhattan and I am embarassed by how much I pay for a tiny 1br, (it's $1500!!) . I can't wait to get out of here, the cost of living in NYC Metro is insane. Mid-Florida seems like a very reasonable place to set up shop. That's' where I'm headed. Stay away fom here if you want to holdon to your $$$$

I'd suggest working part-time for UPS. You work a 4 hour shift moving packages and receive $8.50/hr plus benefits that you won't find at any other part-time job. Shifts run 4 times a day/night.

[ QUOTE ]
I'd suggest working part-time for UPS. You work a 4 hour shift moving packages and receive $8.50/hr plus benefits that you won't find at any other part-time job. Shifts run 4 times a day/night.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, that's the worst job I've ever had. Each and every morning, I wanted to go home and feed myself rotten fish until I choked to death.....

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't suggest having UPS as your only option. A good majority of ex-UPS employees did not like the experience at all. If you're fixed on UPS though get ready for 4 hours of slave labor LOL
grin.gif

P.S. - I'm an ex-employee also.

[ QUOTE ]
Each and every morning, I wanted to go home and feed myself rotten fish until I choked to death.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm...thats appetizing.
wink.gif

Just in case you'd like to hear from the 'significant other' (ie. the one who is paying the bills! ha ha) here goes: Yes, it's tough-but our cars are paid for, old and they have over 150.000 miles on them.My husband, the CFI, does all the work on them, no tv since he works 9am to 6pm M-S (too many flying mags to read anyway),we eat very simple meals and go to the movies at the dollar theatres- he's been at it for a year now and loves it -so is it worth it - YES!!

[ QUOTE ]
Be single for as long as you can!

[/ QUOTE ]
I get a chuckle out of this every time I see it. You guys have no idea what you are talking about.

I'm married, love it, and wouldn't trade it for the world. The thing is - and take note - when you are married, you generally have a second income that's not contigent on flying to help with the bills.

Don't knock what you don't know.
wink.gif

Here's something to think about...if you're with a women who doesn't contribute and expects YOU to flit the bill - she's not worth crap.

I wouldn't be doing this without my wife, that's the 100% truth.

Just my observation.
<shrugs>

R2F

R2F speaks the truth. I couldnt even consider going to full time instructing without my wife's support. Even if she's making minimum wage, that's an additional $1k/month to help out with bills. If I make $1k/month instructing, that's a combined income of $2k/month. Anyone without car payments or serious debt can survive on $2k/month and still have some left over.

This might sound crazy, but it got me through some cash-strapped times in college. If you have a car and live in a relatively populated area, look up your local florist and let them know you're willing to help them deliver flowers during busy holidays... like Valentine's Day, Easter, Momma's Day, etc... I did this for a couple of years and made $300-$400 on some weekends. I was paid by the signature or delivery, $3-$5 per.

That's a terrific idea! I delivered pizzas, but I don't recommend that to all people. You have go in to some pretty rough areas! I carried the bottom half of a pool cue with me for protection, and I had to use it once.

[ QUOTE ]
R2F speaks the truth. I couldnt even consider going to full time instructing without my wife's support. Even if she's making minimum wage, that's an additional $1k/month to help out with bills. If I make $1k/month instructing, that's a combined income of $2k/month. Anyone without car payments or serious debt can survive on $2k/month and still have some left over.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right on! My wife and I have both been able to do things with eachother's support that would have been impossible if we were single. We took turns supporting eachother while we were building our businesses, we lived like we only had one income and put the extra toward savings and the occasional toys (see the toy thread in the squawk box), and I'm now flying full time with her help. Being married is GREAT! Just wait to have kids . . .

Back