Living in NC/SC

The wife and I are seriously considering moving to the SC or NC area, mainly in the CLT to GSP corridor. Anyone live in that neck of the woods, and if so what can you tell me about the area? We really like NH, but housing here is very expensive, and we wouldn't mind going somewhere that has a warmer winter. We're both the types that enjoy a good farmers market, local organic products, and biking and kayaking. We don't have kids, and aren't planning on having any. Politically we're both very libertarian, i.e. gay married couples should be able to protect their pot plants with lots of guns while not paying taxes.

I'm home based, so the job market isn't super important for me, but I'm thinking there'd be more jobs in the CLT area for me in the event that this job goes pear shaped at some point. Then again GSP is almost close enough to ATL to commute to, if the need ever arises.....

Thanks

We're both the types that enjoy a good farmers market, local organic products, and biking and kayaking.

Thanks

You'd like this near CLT then:

http://usnwc.org/

Pretty good mountain biking there as well as the CLT area in general. Forget about rode cycling though. They forgot to put shoulders on any of the roads in the Carolinas making it quite dangerous to try and ride most places :(

TP

Well, by "biking and kayaking" I mean finding a nice pond or a railtrail....neither one of us are sponsored by Red Bull.

How about the Greenville SC area? Seems like a nice place, at least from doing some googling while enjoying a cup of coffee.

I have lived near CLT for the past 8 years and I absolutely love it! I am originally from Vermont, and you could not pay me enough money to ever go back to that cursed place. Moving to NC was probably the best decision I ever made. You get the four seasons here, but none of them are too extreme. Summers get a bit warm, but it is manageable. The winters here are wonderful! Cool but not too cold. No -30 with -50 degree wind chills, no daily shoveling of snow, and very friendly people here. It sounds like the mountains of NC might be the most in line with what you are looking for. The Asheville area is beautiful! It is a great place if you like doing a lot of outdoor activities. I know that NC is not for everyone, but I would not want to live anywhere else. From where I live, it is a 3 hour drive to the mountains or the beach. My only complaint about NC is that you have to pay taxes on your car every year. Other than that, it is spectacular!

You'll probably want to check out the Lineville gorge and the Blue Ridge parkway as well. I used to live in Concord, NC just outside CLT. Wasn't bad. Definitely miss the four seasons the most, but that's about it.

I'd look more in the AVL-GSP area. Probably a lot more of what you're into.

Yes. I was thinking the same exact thing as I was reading the OP. AVL, especially. It's not a real far drive from GSP if larger airport access is important.

AVL gets a LOT of really good live music.

We're planning a recon trip to GSP next month :)

Check out the river walk in downtown greenville. It is beautiful and should really appeal to your artsy side. Also, I recommend the airport cafe at greenville downtown (kgmu).

If mountains, snow, and pot are more your style, I would recommend Boone, NC. Lots of co-ops and granola up there. Also, it is the south so they have plenty of guns too.

For flat, warm, and well...the same amount of pot, check out Wilmington, NC. Much like Boone, it have a strong artistic community and a beautiful historic downtown.

Overall, you cant go wrong in NC with the exception of Fayetteville. Good Luck and keep us updated.

I've been looking at both Beaufort and Washington, NC as possibilities for when we're done with DC.

AVL is a cool place but not exactly a libertarian haven.

GSP v CLT? I'm cry familiar with both (I live in CLT and my sister lives in GSP) and you honestly can't go wrong with either. They offer some similarities but size alone means they are very different. GSP is very family oriented and IMHO it would be more difficult to be a young married couple with no children there. It's a very conservative family values kind of town (not a commentary just an observation). That's not to say it lacks culture and an edge because it has both.

CLT is large enough that there is something here for everyone. The banking industry keeps the area pretty grounded but the city has a lot of cultural activity. Lots of affordable neighborhoods within the city limits. Easy to get in and out of the city for rural activities. Large population of younger couples.

Visit both for sure, I think you will be very certain which one fits you best when you see it. If you need help with restaurant recs or activity suggestions in either send me a message. I can point you to some neighborhoods to drive through on your visit. It's a great region to call home. I could live happily in either.

AVL is a cool place but not exactly a libertarian haven.

GSP v CLT? I'm cry familiar with both (I live in CLT and my sister lives in GSP) and you honestly can't go wrong with either. They offer some similarities but size alone means they are very different. GSP is very family oriented and IMHO it would be more difficult to be a young married couple with no children there. It's a very conservative family values kind of town (not a commentary just an observation). That's not to say it lacks culture and an edge because it has both.

CLT is large enough that there is something here for everyone. The banking industry keeps the area pretty grounded but the city has a lot of cultural activity. Lots of affordable neighborhoods within the city limits. Easy to get in and out of the city for rural activities. Large population of younger couples.

Visit both for sure, I think you will be very certain which one fits you best when you see it. If you need help with restaurant recs or activity suggestions in either send me a message. I can point you to some neighborhoods to drive through on your visit. It's a great region to call home. I could live happily in either.

Thanks Cav! Turns out I can't live anywhere at my present job, so moving is on the back burner for now.

Well, now things have changed again, and we are again thinking of moving south. We're doing a recon mission the first weekend of March.

What are some good neighborhoods around the CLT area? By "good" I mean low crime, reasonable house prices, and super bonus points for being walkable to some sort of downtown area.

Anyone have any info about the Rock Hill SC area? Is there any advantage or disadvantage to living in SC vs NC?

Back