Living in NC/SC

Some people really like south Charlotte; some like the area near Concord airport, some like the Lake Norman area. It really depends on your personal preference; kids in school; work area; etc.

TP

Well, now things have changed again, and we are again thinking of moving south. We're doing a recon mission the first weekend of March.

What are some good neighborhoods around the CLT area? By "good" I mean low crime, reasonable house prices, and super bonus points for being walkable to some sort of downtown area.

Anyone have any info about the Rock Hill SC area? Is there any advantage or disadvantage to living in SC vs NC?

For charlotte neighborhoods, I would recommend you look at North Davidson, better known as NoDa. (http://www.noda.org). It is the most artistic and hipster looking stretch of Charlotte you can find. If eating overpriced yet amazing food off of spray painted tables and being served by a guy with a beard is your thing then this is the place for you.

For being close to the airport (10 mins from kclt) I recommend Berewick. (http://www.berewick.com) It is a newer community that is quickly growing. It appeals to younger families and the area around it is booming. Within the next three years, they will have a Harris Teeter within walking distance plus other shops.

For your smaller niche communities that are further from down town I like anything in Matthews or the surrounding area. Also Ballantyne area is full of rich people and nice houses. Obama stayed in their hotel on his last visit. Baxter Village (http://www.baxtertowncenter.com/) is about half way between down town Charlotte and rock hill. It has a really nice small town feel with one of the nicest YMCAs I have ever seen.

On the aviation side, Lake Norman has a really nice airport with a strong general aviation community (14A). Also rock hill (kuza) has a great airport with a good group of locals that support it.

NC vs SC-
SC has cheaper gas, lower taxes, and fireworks are legal. Also Rock Hill is close to Carowinds (https://www.carowinds.com) which is pretty awesome. On the downside, there is only one major highway that goes from rock hill to Charlotte which makes rush hours traffic fun.

If you need more details, feel free to pm.

For charlotte neighborhoods, I would recommend you look at North Davidson, better known as NoDa. (http://www.noda.org). It is the most artistic and hipster looking stretch of Charlotte you can find. If eating overpriced yet amazing food off of spray painted tables and being served by a guy with a beard is your thing then this is the place for you.

For being close to the airport (10 mins from kclt) I recommend Berewick. (http://www.berewick.com) It is a newer community that is quickly growing. It appeals to younger families and the area around it is booming. Within the next three years, they will have a Harris Teeter within walking distance plus other shops.

For your smaller niche communities that are further from down town I like anything in Matthews or the surrounding area. Also Ballantyne area is full of rich people and nice houses. Obama stayed in their hotel on his last visit. Baxter Village (http://www.baxtertowncenter.com/) is about half way between down town Charlotte and rock hill. It has a really nice small town feel with one of the nicest YMCAs I have ever seen.

On the aviation side, Lake Norman has a really nice airport with a strong general aviation community (14A). Also rock hill (kuza) has a great airport with a good group of locals that support it.

NC vs SC-
SC has cheaper gas, lower taxes, and fireworks are legal. Also Rock Hill is close to Carowinds (https://www.carowinds.com) which is pretty awesome. On the downside, there is only one major highway that goes from rock hill to Charlotte which makes rush hours traffic fun.

If you need more details, feel free to pm.

Thanks for the info. I will check those places out.

Anyone have any info about the Rock Hill SC area? Is there any advantage or disadvantage to living in SC vs NC?

Having zero experience living in NC/SC, we did a scouting trip ourselves a little over a month ago to check out the CLT area. We checked out a lot of homes in Rock Hill as well. One place we really liked was Fort Mill, just northeast of Rock Hill. It seemed like a pretty quiet area, and there were a lot of newer developments with nice houses. Best I can describe it is, it reminded me of the areas outside the center of Durham or Dover. Not busy, small town center and the further you drove, the further apart the houses got (which is something we like and are looking for).

In NC, we checked out a lot of neighborhoods in North Charlotte as well that we liked, even though it was a bit busier. I think Huntersville was our favorite of neighborhoods within Charlotte. Lots of stores/shops, but it definitely felt higher end. Houses were also more expensive there. Lastly we drove as far north as Denver, NC. It's a straight shot up route 16 if I remember correctly, and again, we enjoyed it. Open spaces, quiet. We drove around a lot of neighborhoods there and checked out some houses we found listed online and they were all pretty secluded.

Having zero experience living in NC/SC, we did a scouting trip ourselves a little over a month ago to check out the CLT area. We checked out a lot of homes in Rock Hill as well. One place we really liked was Fort Mill, just northeast of Rock Hill. It seemed like a pretty quiet area, and there were a lot of newer developments with nice houses. Best I can describe it is, it reminded me of the areas outside the center of Durham or Dover. Not busy, small town center and the further you drove, the further apart the houses got (which is something we like and are looking for).

In NC, we checked out a lot of neighborhoods in North Charlotte as well that we liked, even though it was a bit busier. I think Huntersville was our favorite of neighborhoods within Charlotte. Lots of stores/shops, but it definitely felt higher end. Houses were also more expensive there. Lastly we drove as far north as Denver, NC. It's a straight shot up route 16 if I remember correctly, and again, we enjoyed it. Open spaces, quiet. We drove around a lot of neighborhoods there and checked out some houses we found listed online and they were all pretty secluded.

Thanks Mark, that is good info.

If your wife will be working inside the city limits of CLT I would carefully consider the commute. Driving into and out of CLT at rush hour, from the north and south, can be hell. We live in South Park and my wife works downtown so her commute isn't bad. Inside the city look at South Park, Noda, Plaza Midwood, Beverly Woods, etc. I haven't lived outside of the city so I can't really comment on the other areas people have mentioned. You'll hear people say the schools in Davidson are terrible blah blah but that's not really a fair characterization because it's a massive district and like any large school district it is very dependent on the individual schools. My wife is an administrator within the district and I am happy to ask her about individual schools if you need me to. If you don't have kids, or don't plan to, I would still urge you to pay attention what high school covers your neighborhood because it will directly impact your home's value, resale, etc. Meyers Park, South Mecklenburg, Audrey Kelly, Providence, and a few others are safe bets for local HS's.

Originally from the NH seacoast but now live in the North Georgia mtns. Hiking, canoeing, fishing and other outdoor activities. Good farmers markets nearby and amazing views, with a touch of New England weather. Hour thirty to ATL, all highway (2+05 to the TRACON o_O). Look at Ellijay and Blue Ridg .

If your wife will be working inside the city limits of CLT I would carefully consider the commute. Driving into and out of CLT at rush hour, from the north and south, can be hell. We live in South Park and my wife works downtown so her commute isn't bad. Inside the city look at South Park, Noda, Plaza Midwood, Beverly Woods, etc. I haven't lived outside of the city so I can't really comment on the other areas people have mentioned. You'll hear people say the schools in Davidson are terrible blah blah but that's not really a fair characterization because it's a massive district and like any large school district it is very dependent on the individual schools. My wife is an administrator within the district and I am happy to ask her about individual schools if you need me to. If you don't have kids, or don't plan to, I would still urge you to pay attention what high school covers your neighborhood because it will directly impact your home's value, resale, etc. Meyers Park, South Mecklenburg, Audrey Kelly, Providence, and a few others are safe bets for local HS's.

I went to Myers Park back in the days of busing (surprisingly not that long ago as I graduated in 2001) and since my home school was West Charlotte, it was a big deal to find a way to go to a local school as the responses to most of the other kids in my neighborhood was to go to Charlotte Country Day or Charlotte Latin. The schools definitely make a difference into what is desirable as does the commute. Back when I lived there, it was a premium to live in a close in community such as Myers Park or Eastover. We had a 10 minute commute to downtown and 30 minutes was far to the UNCC campus. I laugh that I complained about the 30 minute commute as my commute now to the office in DC is 30 min one way, and 1hr 15 the other. For that time, I could have lived on the water at Lake Norman or Wyle.

Took my first EAA flight out of Concord in a Super Cub.

Back