Living In a Van

Yeah, but then again, people have this issue because they choose to not live in base (for whatever reason). That REALLY adds to the $$$. Most people who work regular $50K 9-5 jobs would probably never consider the idea of having to pay rent at two places. That's the key point that everyone's missing. I moved in my '88 Honda Prelude from ND to MI to avoid having to pay rent twice with an apt and crashpad on the side. I live in base and that really helps out w/ the costs which commuters face all the time. (again, I realize it's not as easy as it sounds since some people do have families and would find it impossible to move). Then again, if you have a family, this 1st year FO pay thing is ridiculous. I don't think I would have ever done this career if I had a wife and kids. I love flying but I'd love my family first.

Where'd you move to in Michigan?

I actually thought about buying one of these for my LGA commute. I think it'd be a great crashpad! LOL

vanagon6.jpg

vanagon17.jpg

vanagon2.jpg

vanagon4.jpg

vanagon3.jpg

That is sweet. How much do one of those go for? One in decent shape.. not renovated like this one apparently is.

So, my base (HPN) was closed this past month. I'm now once again commuting, this time to IAD. I've been considering buying a high mileage work van and using it as a crashpad. I figure I only need to use it once a week to sleep in before my trips. I can throw an air matress or even a double bed in the back and sleep in peace. If and when I don't have to commute I can sell it back and re-coup a little of my money, unlike a crashpad or hotel.

I don't think the employee parking at IAD is anywhere near the Potomac so please spare me the "Van Down By the River" comments (though anything a little more creative and funny is welcome). Also, yes I know it will be cold in the winter. I've slept in the back of my VW Golf on sub 20 degree nights here in CT. Just wondering if anyone else has considered or done this?

This post should be mass distributed to every college aviation program and major pt 141 flight school. This is reality. And I'm assuming this is a college educated person that wrote this.

Where'd you move to in Michigan?
Per Emily's recommendation, along with others', I ended up moving to Ann Arbor. I like the area more than the rest I've been to in Michigan. The one-day drive from ND to here was killer, though. I'm never doing that ever again.

I haven't gotten a chance to go out much, though. I do like the smaller establishments and restaurants you can find here. It's a cool little town.

This post should be mass distributed to every college aviation program and major pt 141 flight school. This is reality. And I'm assuming this is a college educated person that wrote this.

:yeahthat:
I am almost willing to bet,that this will never happen!
We are all just too happy "sucking it up".

Although, sleeping in a nice van can be quite cool, the particular one shown in the picture was available with a optional and very good heater. No freezing involved. Supposedly chicks dig it - but I hear they like to eat food too... so it could be a short lived adventure with the wrong chick.
Cheers,

I've saved some bucks by looking on Craigslist - it has options for renting a room ( or couch) in somebody's house.
icon6.gif

So true. So many kids (including me at one point) are blinded by the allure of an airline pilot career, and don't consider the costs associated with it. I'm actually considering just taking a shift manager job at Wal-Mart or McDonalds in my hometown versus going into aviation administration (I don't have my commercial). To me, a career is not worth moving all over the country for.

I saw some movie about a kid who doesnt want any money, so he burns all of his. Then he moved to Alaska to live in a short bus that was close to a river. His short bus had a wood burning oven in it and a place for a sleeping bag. He was able to bathe in the river and he got his food from hunting and finding berries.

This was all based on a true story, so it can be done for cheap. Vince Vaughn is also a farmer in the movie.

Per Emily's recommendation, along with others', I ended up moving to Ann Arbor. I like the area more than the rest I've been to in Michigan. The one-day drive from ND to here was killer, though. I'm never doing that ever again.

I haven't gotten a chance to go out much, though. I do like the smaller establishments and restaurants you can find here. It's a cool little town.

If I might recommend:

-The Brown Jug on Michigan's campus. It's over on South University, and a great place to go grab some drinks.

-There's also a B-Dubs on Michigan's campus, on state towards the north side of campus.

-I would personally avoid Good Time Charlies. The food is alright, but the service blows and when we stopped hanging out there years ago because of stupid policies like cutting people off after 2 drinks.

-If you want great Chinese, my vote is for China Gate, also on South University, and just across the street from the Brown Jug. Good stuff, right on campus. There's a parking garage right behind it.

-Go to the Western Michigan v. Michigan game this coming fall. It's the opening game, Western Michigan (my alma mater) has a change of beating Michigan (Emily's alma mater) and the tickets are probably CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP because, well, they're playing Western.

-Michigan hockey is also a pretty good show, and tickets don't cost that much. The CCHA is a great college hockey conference that always seems to have somebody in the frozen four, and produces a bunch of national champions.

That's all I've got for now. If you've got any questions about the area, feel free to PM me or Emily. She went to school there, I hung out there a lot in college. It's a cool area, and one of the few places in eastern Michigan I'm willing to live (I much prefer the west side of the state).

I saw some movie about a kid who doesnt want any money, so he burns all of his. Then he moved to Alaska to live in a short bus that was close to a river. His short bus had a wood burning oven in it and a place for a sleeping bag. He was able to bathe in the river and he got his food from hunting and finding berries.

This was all based on a true story, so it can be done for cheap. Vince Vaughn is also a farmer in the movie.

Into The Wild

He died cause he ate a poisonous plant.

Into The Wild

He died cause he ate a poisonous plant.

Well, the cause of his death is debatable. Some claim that his death was due to starvation.

You know, you can use your van's engine to warm up that hot water for your Top Ramen as well. :)

Back