Living In a Van

I know a guy who flew for Ameriscare here at ADS who lived in a van. It actually worked out pretty well for him. Just go to the FBO for a crap and shower. When I was CFIing, I slept in my car more than a few nights and went to the gym to shower before the next day's work. The only problem with this is that you can't keep food, unless you have access to a fridge at work. Some of the money you save on rent will be lost on eating restaurant food all the time.

My brother is a self-employed professional classical guitarist and travels around the US playing at various gigs. He travels and sleeps in a conversion van. He says he has a portable heater that he turns on at night to sleep and he stays warm. He usually pulls into a Wal-Mart parking lot (they usually have external power outlets) to spend the night. Restrooms, food, drink, and whatever else he might need is right there. He also showers at truck stops that have showers.

Ameriflighters sleep in their vehicles all the time. I know three people who were doing it in Oakland at and one of our very own (JCer) was doing it in Burbank. Circumstances were a bit different though. They usually slept there at night or they just slept in the pilot lounges at whatever base they were at. All of the runs went to a layover, which was usually a crew apartment, where they showered, cooked food, and such. I don't think I could do it, but they seemed to make it work.

A few guys at my company live in RV's. It's really kinda sad. I guess in the end they will be better off because they've saved all that money but seriously sometimes you just have to live a little.

I will throw this out there... I have the aforementioned conversion van which is very nice with custom cabinets, fiberglass high top, tv etc.. The back "seat" folds down to a bed. I have slept in it a couple times and it is okay but not something I would want to do on a regular basis. By contrast though, I have had a small motorhome and a small 5th wheel. Both were very comfortable and I didn't mind at all. I can't see sleeping in the back of a work van but that is just me. A small RV should be as legal as a van(though maybe not as low profile). Do you think anybody would really care if you slept there once in a while?

Sure, if someone was actually living in a van. I own a home and have a wife and son. I just hate throwing money away on rent and hotels and thought this might be an option. My sisters are big rockclimbers and they know several people that live in vans full time just so they don't have to have jobs. That sounds sort of interesting also.

A motor home seems like an ok option but then it would also stand out. I'm not sure if van dwelling would be considered kosher in most parking lots.

oh im not referring to your career track specifically, i just think in general its pathetic a trained/educated/ professional should even have to contemplate living in a van, for any reason..

Buddy from our new-hire class had an "Uncle Rico" type van that he used as a crash pad...that thing was hilarious.

As for how sad this whole situation is, well, it is. I was laughing in class the other day because a couple of classmates i was talking with were in the Dental Hygenist program and they are going to be making about $60k to start. I flew with captains that were barely making that. I'm glad I've decided to move on.

Then again, I personally don't see a problem with living in a van. It actually sounds kind of fun in a way. It would be sweet if there was a campground nearby to crash at. they always have showers and toilets, and usually they're pretty nice.

Most of you were crapping in your diapers, but there used to be a show called Trapper John, MD. This featured a young Gregory Harrison as a surgeon working under Trapper John, who was a hotshot and lived in an RV parked in the hospitals parking lot. On the show it was eccentric and kind of cool...but for a pilot it is just kind of...sad.

I have been doing the small RV thing for the last year in CT. Actually quite comfy and only paid $75 a week to park on a ladies property and use her electricity and water.
I liked it fine, but recently moved into her house to finish her basement out with paneling, drop-ceiling and installing shower stall.
PM me, I actually have a 1 ton van you can have. It's parked at BDL, but I'll jumpstart it and you can drive away- just don't try to use reverse unless you parked on an incline. With the temperature up here this winter, you won't have to worry about your food spoiling,...

icon6.gif

I see livin' the dream is alive and well!

Seriously though, its BS you guys even have to consider living in a freakin van!

Get a Chevy box van. For a little money you could carpet it and put a mattress in there. Set up a little table with a chair and a cooler. Use the vehicle's 12-volt electrical system to run lights, operate a portable TV/DVD player, laptop, etc. If you pimp a van out good enough, it might not be so bad. Also much more inconspicuous than an RV.

I actually thought about buying one of these for my LGA commute. I think it'd be a great crashpad! LOL

vanagon6.jpg

vanagon17.jpg

vanagon2.jpg

vanagon4.jpg

vanagon3.jpg

For the OP:
When the furloughs started coming last year, I sent my wife and kid back to Spain (they had arrived 8 months after I started with the airline). The furlough came within less of 10 of my spot. Then my Dad came down real sick. So I got out of my apartment, and have been living in a hotel and car since. I have thought long and hard about getting a RV on a van frame, and just keep trying to stay on the road. Being a kid of the 80s and 90s the Matt Foley thing would preclude a mere van...

In the end, it looks like I will go back into an apartment or go back to Spain, but I have thought about it long and hard. In my other life, I live on the beach in to me paradise. My fam is there. But then again there is this "dream". My only advice is to stick out the airlines until something better comes along. Nothing better in THIS world than pushing up the thrust levers and heading up into the wild blue yonder. at least at 40...;)
Good luck!

Greaper.....sounds like a very reasonable idea.

Heck, back in the day when I was an FO in ITH, I spent many a night in my car....not neeearly as comfortable as what you're talking about, either. It was winter, too......sucks having to run the vehicle all night to keep the heat going. But, it was cheaper than a hotel or crashpad.

Also, anyone who says this is completely unacceptable for professional airline pilots......WELL, YOU'RE 100% CORRECT. Wonder what the national news networks would think of it. Maybe a 'day in the life' 60 minutes interview.......

Do you know where your pilots slept last night? At home...NO In a hotel...NO Crashpad...NO Back of the plane, sprawled across the seats...possible In a van in the parking lot...ding ding ding, we have a winner. :(

For the OP:
When the furloughs started coming last year, I sent my wife and kid back to Spain (they had arrived 8 months after I started with the airline). The furlough came within less of 10 of my spot. Then my Dad came down real sick. So I got out of my apartment, and have been living in a hotel and car since. I have thought long and hard about getting a RV on a van frame, and just keep trying to stay on the road. Being a kid of the 80s and 90s the Matt Foley thing would preclude a mere van...

In the end, it looks like I will go back into an apartment or go back to Spain, but I have thought about it long and hard. In my other life, I live on the beach in to me paradise. My fam is there. But then again there is this "dream". My only advice is to stick out the airlines until something better comes along. Nothing better in THIS world than pushing up the thrust levers and heading up into the wild blue yonder. at least at 40...;)
Good luck!
Good luck with your dreams my friend, and I will keep my ears open for other jobs.

Yeah, but then again, people have this issue because they choose to not live in base (for whatever reason). That REALLY adds to the $$$. Most people who work regular $50K 9-5 jobs would probably never consider the idea of having to pay rent at two places. That's the key point that everyone's missing. I moved in my '88 Honda Prelude from ND to MI to avoid having to pay rent twice with an apt and crashpad on the side. I live in base and that really helps out w/ the costs which commuters face all the time. (again, I realize it's not as easy as it sounds since some people do have families and would find it impossible to move). Then again, if you have a family, this 1st year FO pay thing is ridiculous. I don't think I would have ever done this career if I had a wife and kids. I love flying but I'd love my family first.

Back