Liveatc.net GFK feed?

SeeYA@GFK

I'm sure some of you have been to the http://liveatc.net site. I guess I'm suprised that there's no GFK feed. With all the activity at the airport and soon to be 4th runway, there must be some intrest out there in starting a feed.

I'm too far away from the airport to pick up a good signal, but I'd help anyone that could pick up a good signal and provide the feed.

Let me know!

I have a scanner that looks like this that sits in a box in my apartment because I upgraded to a newer scanner when the Police Department went to digital.

BC350C.jpg

I don't have an anntena for it anymore so I don't know if I can pick up the airport. Also, I don't have a desktop computer so I can't plug it in and leave it running all the time. I only have my aviation laptop. :banghead:

Sounds like a really good idea though. I might be willing to sell my scanner to someone or something.

How much PC power do you think it'll take to do this? PM me...I have some stuff that might be able to work.

How much PC power do you think it'll take to do this? PM me...I have some stuff that might be able to work.

From the LiveATC site

Besides the scanner, you need:
- an always-on Internet connection (uses ~16kbps)
- an external or attic antenna (for optimum reception)
- audio cable to connect scanner to PC's sound card
- a PC running Windows, Mac OS X, or Linux/other Unix
- free software we provide and help you set up

It sounds like it doesn't use up a lot of your internet connection or PC power but you will have to leave your PC on all the time.

That would be really cool if someone got a feed up. If I'm not mistaken there used to be one up in the past.

Maybe we can coordinate with UND and get something setup behind dispatch.

I was thinking about doing this a while ago. I have a handheld scanner and from my location(campus place apartments) I can only pick up aircraft coming in from truck stop, A/C talking to approach, and talking tower. I can not pick up any of the controllers talking but I bet if someone facing towards the west in the Campus Place apartments put a good size antenna(j-pole) and good stationary scanner in place it would be perfect. It gets a little boring to listen to. Its very repaptive especially if you fly on a regular basis although the asian kids are kind of fun to hear ever once in a while. I can just picture the controller saying to himself " what the @#$% did he just say"

We might have some progress on this coming in the near future. Pwttogfk and myself are trying to get something rolling. He has a PC to donate and I have a scanner to add to the cause. We are going to try and base it at the airport somewhere to get the best reception and probably won't have the need to buy an external antenna. Not to sure how UND would respond to having it somewhere on their massive property. But, I might be able to find another home on the airport if UND gives us a hard time in which I wouldn't be suprised.

More details to come......

As SeeYA@GFK said, we've got a plan in the works. I won't be in GFK for another three weeks, so I have a request for y'all already in ND--if you're out at the airport with a scanner or nav/com and have some spare time, send me a PM with a PIREP containing the following info:

Frequency(s) tuned
Signal strength
Scanner or Nav/Com used

This way, I can get a feel for the signal strength around the airport and decide where to try to get permission to site an antenna.

That would be really cool if someone got a feed up. If I'm not mistaken there used to be one up in the past.

I too remember UND used to host a feed on their website 2 or 3 years ago.

True true.....but they'd cite "FERPA" and would say they're unable due to privacy...:rolleyes: At least that's what I heard from an SOF as to the reason why they took down the Aircraft Dispatched screen behind the SOF...(that list that showed who was up)

Yeah, they used to have a GFK live feed back then. They took it down, don't know why...

True true.....but they'd cite "FERPA" and would say they're unable due to privacy...:rolleyes: At least that's what I heard from an SOF as to the reason why they took down the Aircraft Dispatched screen behind the SOF...(that list that showed who was up)

Yeah, they used to have a GFK live feed back then. They took it down, don't know why...

wtf? when did that go down? that thing was useful for seeing if my instructor was out, or just conveniently hiding when i was ready for my lesson!

wtf? when did that go down? that thing was useful for seeing if my instructor was out, or just conveniently hiding when i was ready for my lesson!
It's been like three weeks now...I liked it 'cause I was able to see if my student had gotten a book yet or not when I couldn't find them anywhere in the building. (no, of course they don't have cell phones) :rolleyes:

I brought the old scanner I had in today to the tower and gave it a test. Obviously I got good reception, but just wanted to make sure in case there was any interference.

I got the green light from our Union president and our supervisor today. I just need to get the final stamp of approval from our tower manager. I was planning on just leaving the scanner on 118.4 unless someone else really wants 120.55 or even ground, but I think just leaving it on our primary frequency is better and less confusing for other people not familar listening in.

If all goes according to plan, I'm hoping to have it up in a few weeks. I'll keep you posted.

Off to Oshkosh tomorrow!

I brought the old scanner I had in today to the tower and gave it a test. Obviously I got good reception, but just wanted to make sure in case there was any interference.

I got the green light from our Union president and our supervisor today. I just need to get the final stamp of approval from our tower manager. I was planning on just leaving the scanner on 118.4 unless someone else really wants 120.55 or even ground, but I think just leaving it on our primary frequency is better and less confusing for other people not familar listening in.

If all goes according to plan, I'm hoping to have it up in a few weeks. I'll keep you posted.

Off to Oshkosh tomorrow!

I like just listening to one frequency. I hate it when it some feeds go from tower to ground, approach, then to center. Thats just my opinion but im sure the two tower frequencies would be good. Ill lend out my hand held if you want another scanner to be on approach. I dont use it and ill be here for another 2 years so if you want to use it, let me know.

So bad news....

Looks like the tower isn't going to host the feed. After going up the chain in command, I didn't get the vibe that it was going to work. So back to square one. I'll try asking UND here in coming days and we'll go from there.

Maybe UND will lend an Aviation Laptop to the cause and have it sit behind dispatch or something. It's not like they don't have enough of them.

Maybe UND will lend an Aviation Laptop to the cause and have it sit behind dispatch or something. It's not like they don't have enough of them.

Speaking of the laptops, has anyone picked up one of the new ones? Any problems yet?
I took the D820 with me over the summer and will get the new version when I return to UND.

Speaking of the laptops, has anyone picked up one of the new ones? Any problems yet?
I took the D820 with me over the summer and will get the new version when I return to UND.

I got the new one and its nothing special. Its a little smaller, the battery sticks out in the front, and NO flitestar.

I got the new one and its nothing special. Its a little smaller, the battery sticks out in the front, and NO flitestar.

Haha, I don't even care about Flitestar anymore because I haven't flown since I got my private license.:D

Is it possible to copy flitestar from the current computer and transfer the whole program to a new computer?

screen res is better too.

1440x900

and has bluetooth.

its an under the hood upgrade, but by appearance its about the same, thankfully a bit slimmer and more compact though.

Back