Live from the CVG Crew Lounge

derg

Apparently a "terse" writer
Staff member
I've got a 4+ hour productivity sit, so if anyone wants any questions answered expeditiously, here's your chance!

I'll be on until I get bored, hungry or just wander off.

Hehe. What a coincidence...

I'm sitting a 24 hour SAR alert shift now at RKK.

Questions from anyone?

[ QUOTE ]
What are you having for lunch?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know! It's CVG which up until quite recently meant that the airport had all of the variety of a gas station in Ajo, AZ.

When you were a CFI, did you/the fbo require more than 1 XC for the IFR training? I am just about through Stage3 of my IFR training and they are telling me that there are 2 XC's one small - KFCM-KEAU-KRST-KFCM. (xxx miles) and another KFCM-Duluth-Grand Rapids-KFCM (this would be the 250+ trip). Just curious if this is the norm? I question it because it will cost some dough as you know.

thanks

Any suggestions on how to approach this with the FBO/CFI?

Yeah Uncle Mikey, I've got a question. is it true that when you're flying nap o' the earth, that sometimes you'll roll inverted over hilltops to keep positive G's?

I heard that somewhere but I think it was on some flightsim website.

Here's a question, Doug...
I know that post-Sept 11th regulations require special super doors and locks on the flight deck (Part 121 is new to me, so I don't even know where to begin looking for this). So, can a flight atendant even come to the flight deck anymore? Do you have to put your food in the cockpit BEFORE pushback? How do you go to the bathroom? And what happened to that regulation that stated that the cockpit door had to be unlocked during takeoff and landing...did that go away, too? Or is there some special provision in the OPSPECS?

Silly questions, I know. But they've been bugging me!!

[ QUOTE ]
When you were a CFI, did you/the fbo require more than 1 XC for the IFR training? I am just about through Stage3 of my IFR training and they are telling me that there are 2 XC's one small - KFCM-KEAU-KRST-KFCM. (xxx miles) and another KFCM-Duluth-Grand Rapids-KFCM (this would be the 250+ trip). Just curious if this is the norm? I question it because it will cost some dough as you know.

thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Well if you're part 141, it depends on the syllabus. But part 61, I don't think I did more than one with a student, but I might be wrong. It's been seven years!
smile.gif

When the economy does pick up and there aren't a billion people fighting for CFI jobs I might do some instructing down at Scottsdale. But I'd be doing it for fun but want to stay out of the way of people doing it for a temporary living and time building.

It is part 141 and they are using the Cessna CBT training kit. They have a 50 mile trip and then the 250 one as well.

[ QUOTE ]
So, can a flight atendant even come to the flight deck anymore?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, absolutely. There are procedures that each individual airline has, but I'm not going to divulge that on the internet because ya never know what wackos are browsing the site today!
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Do you have to put your food in the cockpit BEFORE pushback?

[/ QUOTE ]

If we have crew meals, they'll deliver them in boxes and we'll store them away until we're ready to enjoy the yummy goodness that LSG SkyChefs merrily prepared for our consumption. [/sarcasm off]

[ QUOTE ]
How do you go to the bathroom?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just like regular people, silly!
smile.gif
Sometimes standing, sometimes sitting, but I only like to do the sitting part when I get to the hotel.

But on a serious note, we have entry/exit procedures that we follow to ensure that it's secure and safe.

[ QUOTE ]
And what happened to that regulation that stated that the cockpit door had to be unlocked during takeoff and landing...did that go away, too? Or is there some special provision in the OPSPECS?

[/ QUOTE ]

We've always locked the cockpit door for takeoff and landing at Delta.

At Skyway, we had a company 'open door' policy in the late 90's because of PR. People are aeronautical voyeurs and like to watch you fly.

[ QUOTE ]
But I'd be doing it for fun but want to stay out of the way of people doing it for a temporary living and time building.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doug, you truly are a gentleman!!!!!!!!!!!!

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah Uncle Mikey, I've got a question. is it true that when you're flying nap o' the earth, that sometimes you'll roll inverted over hilltops to keep positive G's?

I heard that somewhere but I think it was on some flightsim website.

[/ QUOTE ]

Had to go off for an hour.....base took some incoming.

Two ways to accomplish a ridge crossing: bump and roll.

Bump: Approaching low or mild ridge perpendicular, bump the nose a few degrees above the horizon to put the flight path marker above the ridge top, as well as visually clearing. Crossing the ridge, put the nose below the horizon to return to your original altitude and level off.

Roll: Approaching mid-major ridge. Approach at 45 degree angle, bump the nose just enough to clear the ridge, over the ridge, roll to @120 degrees in the "open" direction (most clearance) and pull to max-peform the aircraft down the ridge backside anywhere from 20-40 degrees nose low, roll out and recover to end up at the horizon AT your NOE altitude.

Entry/Exit procedures...

Are we talkin' potty procedures or what?

My exit procedures include a good magazine and toilet paper....and, I too, highly recommend not doing the sitting part on the airplane. Our 727's have porta potti's for use only in extreme operational emergencies.

Not sure what you mean by entry procedures, though....

Re: Entry/Exit procedures...

[ QUOTE ]
Not sure what you mean by entry procedures, though....

[/ QUOTE ]That discussion probably belongs on a different website....
wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Geez, now that's some commendable combat posting there Mike!

You pick up some incoming, and then come back to finish your post! Gah!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Geez, now that's some commendable combat posting there Mike!

You pick up some incoming, and then come back to finish your post! Gah!

[/ QUOTE ]

I was sitting in the HAS where the plane is parked, when a muffled "woomph" followed by the standard whistle, followed by a loud report just outside by the runway; all repeated 6 more times. Sirens go off, get the helmet/flak vest and M16 and slam the HAS shut. Sit it out while the perimeter forces exchange mortar and direct fire with those outside, and if they want the alert jets launched, make it happen.

I was in the middle of typing my last response when I had to leave to accomplish the above......finished it about an hour later.

All in a day's fun.

[ QUOTE ]
I've got a 4+ hour productivity sit, so if anyone wants any questions answered expeditiously, here's your chance!

[/ QUOTE ]

Boxers or briefs?

...and I was complaining because it was -18C in Manchester this morning. I guess I've got it pretty good!

[ QUOTE ]
Boxers or briefs?

[/ QUOTE ]

Boxers.

What is this, TRL on MTV?
wink.gif

Back