Live from the CVG Crew Lounge

I believe that there was a Continental flight a while ago with a first officer named Ted Striker and the purser's name was Elaine.

Half the passengers probably started laughing their asses off and the other half were like, what's so funny?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
are you flying the next leg?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just got in, yes. Nasty day in CVG!

[/ QUOTE ]

If it was anything like DAY, God help you. I was talking with an MD-88 DAL crew at DAY waiting for our respective hotels to show up, and they had to GA due to the loss of glideslope. So that left us doing the LOC only approach to 600 OVC! Throw in some severe turbulence and real nasty ice (inversion layer... runback... basically severe... sucks...) and it made for an interesting night. It was so bad that a woman getting off the plane gave me a hug, proclaiming my flying talents and the angels are watching over me.
crazy.gif

The ice was so nasty from last night that we had to be towed to the deice pad this AM... we couldn't bring the props out of feather, since doing so would violently shake the aircraft. Fun..........

[ QUOTE ]
It was so bad that a woman getting off the plane gave me a hug, proclaiming my flying talents and the angels are watching over me.
crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Little did she know what co-pilots really do!
laugh.gif

Re: What copilots do...

[ QUOTE ]
Make sure the Capt doesn't F-up...

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen to that!

laugh.gif

Co-pilots:
Raise landing gear...
Lower landing gear...
Be the challenge or the reply...
And occasionally fly.....
laugh.gif

Captains:
insure the crew is in-line...
assure the trip goes smoothly and on-time...
Is the final authority, be the trip short or long...
Take all the heat when everything goes wrong...

Summary:
Regardless of how much there is to be done...
A cockpit is too big if it's built for more than one...

[ QUOTE ]
Fine...but the really good paying jobs have more than one pilot.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen to that.

Or the good-paying single-pilot jobs...shall we say....have a short lifespan for the pilot.
laugh.gif

(Nothing going on here at the moment, so I have time to write some really terrible-quality poetry....yes, I think I'll have to keep the day job
laugh.gif
)

[ QUOTE ]

(Nothing going on here at the moment, so I have time to write some really terrible-quality poetry....yes, I think I'll have to keep the day job
laugh.gif
)

[/ QUOTE ]

That's to bad, I hear poets are making almost what philosophers are these days
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It was so bad that a woman getting off the plane gave me a hug, proclaiming my flying talents and the angels are watching over me.
crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes... little did she know that I was the one flying. The 700-hour, $18K a year FO who everyone thinks pulls gear...
shocked.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes... little did she know that I was the one flying. The 700-hour, $18K a year FO who everyone thinks pulls gear...
shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

...And gets the occasional stick time!
tongue.gif
laugh.gif

I'm kidding.

Should read: Little does she know that the same FO, getting her through the bad WX she was so relieved to survive, is ONLY making $18K/yr. Should be more like $50K/yr.

If I could read minds, I'd wonder what price she'd put on her own life?

[ QUOTE ]
shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

(Say this in the 'grumpy old man' accent)

Oh you young whippersnappers!
smile.gif

Back in my day, I was a $17K/year captain uphill both ways in the snow! Diggin' my car out of a snow back in upper Michigan and you know what sonny? We LIKED it!

Autopilot, schm'autopilot, we hand flew all nine legs, and we LIKED it!@
smile.gif

Ok, my lack of creativity and bad sense of humor is showing.

Back to work for me, time to make the donuts.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

(Say this in the 'grumpy old man' accent)

Oh you young whippersnappers!
smile.gif

Back in my day, I was a $17K/year captain uphill both ways in the snow! Diggin' my car out of a snow back in upper Michigan and you know what sonny? We LIKED it!

Autopilot, schm'autopilot, we hand flew all nine legs, and we LIKED it!@
smile.gif

Ok, my lack of creativity and bad sense of humor is showing.

Back to work for me, time to make the donuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't get me started with the "back in my day"
laugh.gif

Well, there are lucrative careers and rewarding ones, and they are not necessarily one in the same. That definitely applies here. But it would be nice to get home after a very trying standup overnight to a more comfortable QOL... if anyone knows this, Doug and MikeD do!
smile.gif
Us young whippersnappers get to walk uphill in the snow one way, but have the added luxury of walking downhill the way back (sometimes even with a Starbucks on the way)!
grin.gif
We have autopilot too, sometimes.
tongue.gif
wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Well, there are lucrative careers and rewarding ones, and they are not necessarily one in the same. That definitely applies here. But it would be nice to get home after a very trying standup overnight to a more comfortable QOL... if anyone knows this, Doug and MikeD do!
smile.gif
Us young whippersnappers get to walk uphill in the snow one way, but have the added luxury of walking downhill the way back (sometimes even with a Starbucks on the way)!
grin.gif
We have autopilot too, sometimes.
tongue.gif
wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You aren't kidding, partner. Always amazes me that with the responsibility a commuter/regional crew (just using their particular example) has for their pax, their aircraft, and all the populated land they overfly, that they make as little as they do. I know this subject has been hashed-out to death on this forum, but it's still unresolved in the real world. And the pax on commuter planes are completely oblivious to this...it's transparent to them.

Which is exactly why the pay for the co-pilots should be around $50K starting, if merely for the responsibility inherent to the job; a responsibility shared whether one is a commuter Captain, or an equally important co-pilot.

[ QUOTE ]

Which is exactly why the pay for the co-pilots should be around $50K starting, if merely for the responsibility inherent to the job; a responsibility shared whether one is a commuter Captain, or an equally important co-pilot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen.

However, there will always be legions of freshly minted pilots willing to sell their souls and pay for a non-paid position in order to get one of those $50,000/year copilot jobs.

Back