Live! From Salt Lake City's pilot lounge...

derg

Apparently a "terse" writer
Staff member
Live! From Salt Lake City\'s pilot lounge...

I'm bored to death during a three hour productivity sit here in SLC so if anyone has any questions they'd like to fire off at me in the next 40 or so minutes until I get bored and lose interest in the internet, ask away!
smile.gif

Re: Live! From Salt Lake City\'s pilot lougen...

Have you ever had to do an actual rejected takeoff or single engine takeoff, and if so, how many and what were the circumstances (if you can give out that information?)

I ask becuase I had one today.....the left engine cowling sprung open about halfway through the takeoff roll
blush.gif

I still don't know if it's because I didn't close the latches properly after checking the oil or if it's just because they're getting worn out after 31 years of flying.

How much wood could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood?

[ QUOTE ]
Have you ever had to do an actual rejected takeoff or single engine takeoff, and if so, how many and what were the circumstances (if you can give out that information?)

[/ QUOTE ]

I did a high speed aborted takeoff (144 knots) here in SLC when we got a OAP (overhead annunicator panel) message about a control failure. The aircraft performed well, but the autobrakes got a little grabby around 90 knots and blew a couple of tires.

Worst part was that it was during the Olympics so I prayed that the media didn't get ahold of it and make a big deal out of it.

Where's your red Chevy Beretta?

Have you flown into the following airports:?

Woodlake (O42)?
Eckert (1Q1)?
Corcoran (CRO)?
Reedley (O32)?
Sequoia (Q31)?
Porterville (PTV)?

[ QUOTE ]
How much wood could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood?

[/ QUOTE ]

A google!

[ QUOTE ]
Where's your red Chevy Beretta?

[/ QUOTE ]

With god now! During a rainy "El Nino", while driving to work in the SF bay area, a tractor trailer made an abrupt lane change, hit my car and I did a "Ricky Rudd" against the cement divider.

[ QUOTE ]
Have you flown in to the following airports:
Woodlake (O42)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope!

[ QUOTE ]
Eckert (1Q1)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope!

[ QUOTE ]
Corcoran (CRO)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope! but I have a distant relative doing 'hard time' there though!
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Reedley (O32)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Touch-n-go

[ QUOTE ]
Sequoia (Q31)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Lots! Hard to pay attention to my private pilot checkride checking out all those firebombers there! Too cool with the A-26's and DC-4s there back in 1988.

[ QUOTE ]
Porterville (PTV)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup! Even did a touch n' go at a uber-short runway in the middle of an orchard just southwest of there too.

Perfect timing....I actually did have a question for Doug (and anybody else that has knowledge in this area...). I've heard from a few friends that airlines don't really like to consider pilots that have a strong corporate flyinf background.....do you know if that's the case? If so, any reason to the rhyme??

Thanks!!

[ QUOTE ]
Perfect timing....I actually did have a question for Doug (and anybody else that has knowledge in this area...). I've heard from a few friends that airlines don't really like to consider pilots that have a strong corporate flyinf background.....do you know if that's the case? If so, any reason to the rhyme??

Thanks!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, probably urban legend. When Delta was hiring briskly back in the late 1990's, we almost cleared out Execjet. In fact, I think a very large percentage of our Orlando pilot base was former ExecJet.

I know times are tough with the airlines but do you still enjoy flying? Or has it become a chore?

Also how many emails do you get per day asking if you need to get a college education to be a pilot?

How do you know when to stay-on to leave to aircraft at any airport? Like you fly from PHX to DFW, and that jet leaves for MSY, would you continue on that flight/aircraft or get off in DFW and head to another flight to MCI let's say? And is a stop at a hub airport longer than a turnaround/stop in LAS let's say?

[ QUOTE ]
I know times are tough with the airlines but do you still enjoy flying? Or has it become a chore?

[/ QUOTE ]

I enjoy flying the aircraft, but dealing with the crap outside of the cabin door is maddening. I can be #30 for takeoff on a stormy, blizzardy day and I still love it. But the requisite politics, media coverage, security and having some CEO think I'm overpaid after I flew a full MD-90 in moderate turbulence, +/- 20 knots in windshear and a hellacious windshift during the transition to flare makes me a little crazy.

But the flying is great, everything else like recurrent training, manual revisions, security, etc sucks the big one.

It truly is a love/hate relationship. Being away from home only usually sucks when I'm not flying the jet.

[ QUOTE ]
Also how many emails do you get per day asking if you need to get a college education to be a pilot?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's down to about 5 per day!
smile.gif
Woo!

[ QUOTE ]
How do you know when to stay-on to leave to aircraft at any airport? Like you fly from PHX to DFW, and that jet leaves for MSY, would you continue on that flight/aircraft or get off in DFW and head to another flight to MCI let's say? And is a stop at a hub airport longer than a turnaround/stop in LAS let's say?

[/ QUOTE ]

Usually when we send an "In Range" report, it'll show us what our inbound gate assignment, and then which gate the pilots and flight attendants depart out of.

I'll send an 'in range' report via ACARS (more or less like a touchscreen instant message device) to flight control and it'll return something like this:

"Arrival Gate: C3

Flight Crew
A DUNCAN, L 1948 ONT D5 1840
B TAYLOR, D 1948 ONT D5 1840"

A = Captain, B = First Officer 1948 is the flight number, ONT = Ontario, D5 is the next gate, 1840 is the departure time.

And then it'll send the passenger flight connection information to the cockpit printer and I'll slide it under the door for the girls to read.

hey doug,

do you know anything about Big Bend Community College in Moses Lake, Wa. I was at the arlington, wa fly in and a few reps. were there from the school. i am kinda considering them. just wondering if you had heard of them or anything about them good or bad.
thanks.

[ QUOTE ]
hey doug,

do you know anything about Big Bend Community College in Moses Lake, Wa. I was at the arlington, wa fly in and a few reps. were there from the school. i am kinda considering them. just wondering if you had heard of them or anything about them good or bad.
thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no idea! Sorry!

Re: Live! From Salt Lake City\'s pilot lounge...

[ QUOTE ]
so if anyone has any questions they'd like to fire off at me in the next 40 or so minutes until I get bored and lose interest in the internet, ask away!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, its been about 40 min....but I'll ask anyways.

As a CFI, what, if anything, did you do to keep from getting burnt out? I'm not quite there yet, lol...but unless something drastic changes, I will be soon!

(ok ok, its not that bad, but some days I just want to give up and go back to the simple life serving at Applebees
smirk.gif
)

[ QUOTE ]
As a CFI, what, if anything, did you do to keep from getting burnt out? I'm not quite there yet, lol...but unless something drastic changes, I will be soon!

[/ QUOTE ]

I never really got burned out because I stayed pretty busy and had a good group of people to hang out with around the airport. Almost more of a soap opera if anything.

More or less "Hey, which one of my Indian students is dating the fuel truck girl now?"

I'd go out to the Indian buffet with my Indian students, eat Korean food with my Korean students and then we'd all go out to Vietnamese food there on Tully Avenue in San Jose.

I think being a CFI, largely, is what you make of it. I really enjoyed the work and had a great time. I really wouldn't mind some some CFI'ing on my days off but considering I've got a full time job and would be cheating a guy trying to work his way up and build flight time, I'm going to probably wait until the economy turns around.

[ QUOTE ]
I never really got burned out because I stayed pretty busy and had a good group of people to hang out with around the airport.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess that makes a difference. 85% of the time that I'm not in the air, I sit in the office by myself and study for my ATP and A&P tests (which, although its a good opportunity to do it, gets boring).

I love instructing and all, but the down time sitting in the office doing nothing really gets to me.

Times up! Gotta go!

A three hour sit in SLC??? The world is your oyster! Chow down at the Red Iguana! Or bowl a line at Rancho Lanes! Both convenient to the airport on North Temple, you could probably get a downtown hotel van driver to drop you off and pick you up (I used to be a driver for the SLC Marriott, they'll do anything for a couple bucks). That new downtown mall (Gateway?) is supposed to be pretty decent, too...might be a good way to kill some time.

p.s., I stopped at PTV for gas last summer enroute to TRK. I sooo should've done an overhead into there instead of swinging wide to enter the downwind on a 45 like a good boy. Next time, baby!

Back