Life is good

jrh

I've been reading so much doom and gloom lately, I just wanted to share some of the good things in my life recently. It's too easy to get wrapped up in the negative. I was just thinking tonight, I've had a lot of little things that make me sit back and go, "Man, life is good."

--Last week I flew my C-140 from Nebraska to Tucson and back. That's 2000+ miles, 30+ hours in the air, and one heck of a good time.
--On Sunday I climbed 102,000 vertical feet while flying skydivers in a C-182. That's not bad for a 182!
--A couple days ago one of my students passed his private pilot checkride. The examiner said he did "excellent."
--Yesterday a student took me out for lunch at a fantastic Mexican restaurant. I love the unexpected perks of instructing.
--This afternoon I introduced an instrument student to ILSs. By the third time around he had the needles crossed up all the way to minimums.
--I used to be worried about having enough business. Now, in the past month I've billed out 97 hours...that's including my week off in order to go to Tucson and never working weekends.
--I gave a flight review in a Grumman Tiger a few days ago. I love trying new planes.
--In a couple weeks I'll be going through C-206T training at Cessna's factory, then training one of my favorite students for an instrument rating in his brand new 206.
--I really, really enjoy my job. It's not perfect, it's got its down sides, but I still get pumped about it every day.

I'm not sure why, but I've recently started appreciating my flying lifestyle/job more than usual. It's simply a heck of a lot of fun. I work with great people, flying great planes, always doing something different, keeping it interesting. I have tons of freedom to do things the way I think they ought to be done.

Not saying anyone is wrong for complaining about life. There have been hard times at a lot of places lately. Oil is going up, jobs are getting cut, the list could go on...

All I know is my life is proof the world doesn't completely suck. For all the guys who have gotten ready to quit flying for one reason or another, I have to say there are still guys like me who still thoroughly enjoy doing what I do.

That is all.

Wow, thanks for sharing. I agree, if we can look at the positives, we all have many good things to be thankful for.

Life is good for me as well. I have a highspeed line, getting paid 75 hours for flying about 35. I had 6 days off in a row, just spent the day/night in Tokyo and heading over to Bangkok. Beats a normal job.

Glad things are going well for you JRH.

Doesn't escape the fact though that many here are not in the same segment of the industry as yourself, and they are going to have different perspectives to share. You may call them doom and gloom, but many might just call it the reality of their segment of the industry.

And people say flight instructing sucks. :) Proof that the job actually can be rewarding under the right circumstances.

Glad things are going well for you JRH.

Doesn't escape the fact though that many here are not in the same segment of the industry as yourself, and they are going to have different perspectives to share. You may call them doom and gloom, but many might just call it the reality of their segment of the industry.

Jeez, this pilots just trying to share some good experiences lately and shine some positive light on things. Welcome back to the dark side I guess!

Thanks JRH, those were some great highlights!!! :)

Well put jrh.

It is a lot easier living life looking at things like the glass is half full rather than half empty.

Your positive attitude is reflected in the success of your students and probably everyone around you. You're probably a much more pleasant person to be around and a safer pilot as a result.

Thanks for the post. It was refreshing to read.

Jeez, this pilots just trying to share some good experiences lately and shine some positive light on things. Welcome back to the dark side I guess!

Thanks JRH, those were some great highlights!!! :)

Not at all. . .it's great that he is enjoying it, and is willing to share his happiness with us.

It's also great that some of us are willing to also speak honestly about our respective segments.

i miss Part 61 instruction. that kind of stuff never happens in a 141 environment :( but around here if i don't do 141 you can't find enough business to even work 50 hours/month

Thanks for sharing that, your post made me smile and a little jealous at the same time. Keep having fun! 1 positive thing can really turn your day around. PMA all..... (positive mental attitude, amazing how well it works.)

Back