Letter from FAA about "history"

BigFellor

Sigh ...

In August of 2008, I visited an AME for the purposes of obtaining a First Class Medical certificate. The AME went thru my history, did not see any issues that would stop me from getting a medical, and my First Class was issued to me that day by him. Today, December 13, 2008, I received a letter from the FAA's Aerospace Medical Certification Division about that application. It states, in part, "Due to your history of depression please submit a current status report from your treating physician...." wanting present treatment, medications, dosage, frequency, prognosis, blah blah blah.

First off, there isn't a "history of depression". When I was 16 or so (12 years ago), I BRIEFLY took anti-depressant medication for "seasonal depression". That lasted MAYBE a month or so, then I quit. Since then, I have had no issues, and been using no medications whatsoever on a regular basis (Yes, this was all reported on my medical application). I think the only medications I have used since then was Vicodin (sp?) after a motorcycle wreck and a broken collar bone, and Motrin on rare occasions for a muscle ache or such. So basically, I take no medications at all.

Second, I do not have a "treating physician". As I said, I was at the AME in August, but other than that I can not remember the last time I was even at my family doctor, I dont like them. I dont have a need, so I dont go.

Should I simply make an appointment with my family doctor and have him prepare a statement, or ...... ?? What should my next course of action be?

Just curious, had you previously reported treated depression to the FAA? I'm just wondering how they find out about these things due to my interest in the medical-ethical side of things!

Back