Let's talk hygiene :-P

geez, where did you guys stay (so i don't stay there)?

why would she need surgery for spider bites? that's horribly crappy, esp after all she's been through in the past week or so.

If the bite caused an abscess it can be very hazardous. Allergic reactions to the bites can be fatal in Black Widow or Brown Recluse bites.

http://www.badspiderbites.com

(Doug, don't look. We all know you're ascared of da spidders..)

If the bite caused an abscess it can be very hazardous. Allergic reactions to the bites can be fatal in Black Widow or Brown Recluse bites.

It caused and abcess. I'm not an MD, so anyone with more knowledge - please correct me here. She had 5 of these bites total, all poisonous.

The problem with poisonous bites isn't that the poision kills you. It kills soft tissue around where the bite happened. It also creates a blister that breaks. When the wound opens, the dead tissue around the opening has little or no blood supply (soft tissue is dead). That means it also has no immune system helping you out.

This is a perfect environment for the bacteria that lives on your skin to move to. MRSA (strep bacteria that is resistant to common antibiotics) happens to be pretty common on skin these days, especially people that work for hospitals/military/airlines.

This bacteria easily colonizes in the wound, and common oral antibiotics don't do much to stop it. So even after you see a doctor and get oral antibiotics, it just gets worse. The wound eventually closes, leaving an abcess (pocket of bacterial fluid and pus), which then spreads internally.

The abcess needs to be treated surgically. It also requires very strong IV antibiotics. Untreated, very bad things will happen. (Amputation or death)

When these bites show infection, you can't screw around. You need to go to ER immediately, and go back if it gets any worse.

Any of you medical types here, please correct whatever I got wrong. I'm not a doctor, and don't even pretend to play one on TV.

Man, this is just a drag! Tell Nicola we are thinking of her, and hope she has a quick recovery...be safe y'all

If you both got them and it happened inside, it's a really high chance they were brown recluse. Hope you both get well soon.

(Doug, don't look. We all know you're ascared of da spidders..)

Seriously appreciate the warning...

It caused and abcess. I'm not an MD, so anyone with more knowledge - please correct me here. She had 5 of these bites total, all poisonous.

The problem with poisonous bites isn't that the poision kills you. It kills soft tissue around where the bite happened. It also creates a blister that breaks. When the wound opens, the dead tissue around the opening has little or no blood supply (soft tissue is dead). That means it also has no immune system helping you out.

This is a perfect environment for the bacteria that lives on your skin to move to. MRSA (strep bacteria that is resistant to common antibiotics) happens to be pretty common on skin these days, especially people that work for hospitals/military/airlines.

This bacteria easily colonizes in the wound, and common oral antibiotics don't do much to stop it. So even after you see a doctor and get oral antibiotics, it just gets worse. The wound eventually closes, leaving an abcess (pocket of bacterial fluid and pus), which then spreads internally.

The abcess needs to be treated surgically. It also requires very strong IV antibiotics. Untreated, very bad things will happen. (Amputation or death)

When these bites show infection, you can't screw around. You need to go to ER immediately, and go back if it gets any worse.

Any of you medical types here, please correct whatever I got wrong. I'm not a doctor, and don't even pretend to play one on TV.

Oh Dang... That doesn't sound fun. Hope you both get better soon!

If you both got them and it happened inside, it's a really high chance they were brown recluse. Hope you both get well soon.

It happened in California, where as far as I know, brown recluse spiders don't live. It was in an RV that had just come from Florida, passing through a bunch of states where these spiders do live. Whatever it was from, we know two things - they were spiders, and they were poisonous. They take about a week to make you sick.

Nicola is doing much better. She is in a horrible mood (understandable). Going in for surgery in the morning. She's on some heavy duty painkillers too. Being stuck in a hospital for a week is about the crapiest thing I can imagine though. And, of course, she has someone stopping by to visit every half hour to wish her well (so no sleep and no rest).

I'm fine. I still can't believe a little bug bite made me so sick, but I still managed to knock back some beers and watch some football with the guys today. She will be pissed, cause that was her plan for Sunday too :) I had a doctor look at my bite, sounds like the worst is over for me.

Thank you to everyone for the kind words. Already planning the trip for next year!

It happened in California, where as far as I know, brown recluse spiders don't live. It was in an RV that had just come from Florida, passing through a bunch of states where these spiders do live. Whatever it was from, we know two things - they were spiders, and they were poisonous. They take about a week to make you sick.

Nicola is doing much better. She is in a horrible mood (understandable). Going in for surgery in the morning. She's on some heavy duty painkillers too. Being stuck in a hospital for a week is about the crapiest thing I can imagine though. And, of course, she has someone stopping by to visit every half hour to wish her well (so no sleep and no rest).

I'm fine. I still can't believe a little bug bite made me so sick, but I still managed to knock back some beers and watch some football with the guys today. She will be pissed, cause that was her plan for Sunday too :) I had a doctor look at my bite, sounds like the worst is over for me.

Thank you to everyone for the kind words. Already planning the trip for next year!

There are only 4 spiders in the U.S. dangerous to humans and only 2 of those are really problem spiders. If it was in an RV traveling through the south, my money would be on the recluse. I've found those things in my luggage when traveling from states with them to states without. They really have no fear of humans. I feel for you both and yes, beer is the best medicine! :D

There are only 4 spiders in the U.S. dangerous to humans and only 2 of those are really problem spiders. If it was in an RV traveling through the south, my money would be on the recluse.

Hospital was pretty certain it was a brown recluse too, given it was definitely a spider, and definitely poisionous.

Update on Nicola: Moved to isolation because of the infection. Waiting on surgery.

I have a nice round scar, feeling better but tired.

Hospital was pretty certain it was a brown recluse too, given it was definitely a spider, and definitely poisionous.

Update on Nicola: Moved to isolation because of the infection. Waiting on surgery.

I have a nice round scar, feeling better but tired.

Please keep us informed on her condition. Let her know we are thinking about her.

I thought you got the bites at Hooters.

Did you guys rent an R.V.? If so that really makes me leary of renting one next summer.

It was parked in her mom's driveway. House was already full with houseguests, so we decided to sleep there. In hindsight, the couch may have been smarter.

It can happen anywhere though, a fried in FL also got bit by one last week in her apartment.

those things are ALL over florida... so if the RV came from Florida, it could very well be that they hitched a ride :(

Bleh ... I don't think I'll ever forget the time I reached into that small space in the corner of a T-hangar where the door control switch was. It felt like I stuck my hand into some cotton candy and then a bug tickled across the back of my hand. Of course you think "spider!" and jump back, but it was a double surprise when took a closer look with a flashlight and saw a pissed-off black widow.

For the rest of the time I flew that plane I didn't go near the door switch without first getting some fire on a stick. :)

Just FYI, Brown Recluse's do live in CA. I've seen them. In fact one was hiding in the shoe of my grandpa's friend, bit him on the foot, he suffered in a hospital for months and died.

Back