LEGAL?

SEAN

IF I GO UP UNDER IFR WITH MY BUDDY WHO IS NEW IN TOWN(HES A CFII BUT NEVER DID A CHECKOUT AT THIS FBO)...WE STAY IN 80%VMC THE WHOLE WAY. WHAT KIND OF TROUBLE CANI GET IN AT THE FBO? IM NOT EVEN TALKING ABOUT LOGGING OF THE TIME, OR THE PIC ISSUE...I AM TALKING ABOUT LIABILITY, ENFORCEMENT, ETC.? ANYONE KNOW?

C-A-P-S-L-O-C-K O-F-F

wink.gif

It is fine with the FAA - however the flight school will probably not like it for insurance reasons.

If I understand your question through the yelling, you're asking what kind of trouble you can get if you fly with a CFI who is not checked out at your FBO under circumstance in which the CFI will be acting PIC on the flight.

The answer is, probably none as far as the FAA is concerned. FBO checkout requirements have nothing to do with the FAR.

The answer is, probably a lot as far as your FBO is concerned, depending of course on your FBO's rules about who is allowed to teach in their airplanes, who is allowed to act as PIC in their airplanes, and who is allowed to fly their airplanes.

Example: Let's say your FBO is one of those that provides some liability protection, even one as simple as you only have to pay the deductible if you bend an airplane. You violate the FBO rules and bend and airplane and you can kiss that protection goodbye.

"Example: Let's say your FBO is one of those that provides some liability protection, even one as simple as you only have to pay the deductible if you bend an airplane. You violate the FBO rules and bend and airplane and you can kiss that protection goodbye. "

EXACTLY - you bend an airplane and the insurance company finds out what you were doing then you'll probably end up being wholly liable for any damage.

Why take the chance?? Have your buddy do a quick checkout - if he's a CFI then it shouldn't be abig deal and take less than an hour.

Jason

Thanks for your reponses. You confirmed what i suspected. Trying to make a trip and am afraid that it will be below vfr, and he suggested we file. Im thinking this probably isnt in my best interest.

Sorry about the caps---thats all we use at work.

Back