Legal to fly without charts and AFD?

Yeah, I'd like to see the guy who gets violated for not having current charts in his plane when he is just going up to do a little pattern work.

Actually, I'd like to see the inspector who did it. I have a feeling he won't be collecting a paycheck for much longer!

Yeah, I'd like to see the guy who gets violated for not having current charts in his plane when he is just going up to do a little pattern work.

Actually, I'd like to see the inspector who did it. I have a feeling he won't be collecting a paycheck for much longer!
Any idea how hard it is to get rid of a gov't employee?

When a government employee gets 'relieved of their duties', they just get promoted into another office.

They don't have the original duties anymore, riiight......?

But is pattern work still considered "in the vicinity of (the) airport"?

What constitutes the "vicinity"?

-mini

But is pattern work still considered "in the vicinity of (the) airport"?

What constitutes the "vicinity"?

-mini

There's no official FAA definition, but I'd consider pretty much everything outside the traffic pattern as not in the "vicinity", but that's just me.

There's no official FAA definition, but I'd consider pretty much everything outside the traffic pattern as not in the "vicinity", but that's just me.
Which then, of course, has to raise the question: "who's traffic pattern"?

A 152 (should) fly a different pattern than a 747, G5, etc.

-mini

The only FAA definition of vicinity I'm aware of is with relation to weather products - vicinity appears in METAR and TAF reports and according to AC 00-45F, Aviation Weather Services,

==============================
In the United States, vicinity (VC) is defined as a donut-shaped area between 5 and 10SM from the center of the airport’s runway complex.
==============================

But I wouldn't accept that as THE definition for all purposes. Sometimes an English word is just an English word and "vicinity" is subject to interpretation depending on context (as is "traffic pattern" ;) )

Back