Leave for Frontier or stay at Atlas

Remove government regulation imposed on the industry.
This is actually a bad idea - I worked for an oil company that actually cared (insomuch as being less terrible than the competition was important to us) - but we really only did anything based on money or regulatory requirements.

Reducing the regulations would not be effective in changing behavior. If you want oil companies to do something, make your choice the less economically painful option.

It is just like aviation. How many companies would staff adequately to not overwork their pilots? None. We had to have a Q400 crash for dumb reasons to collectively learn that and begin to take rest seriously - and then we still don’t give a damn about freight guys.

We have to require them to do the right thing through laws or taxes. Otherwise they won’t if the ass pain from non-compliance is less expensive than compliance. How many fines have 121 airlines been willing to pay to not do required maintenance? Oil companies are the same.

Remove government regulation imposed on the industry.
1652117041444.jpeg

You would make a terrible anarchist :bounce: ;).
I acknowledge that I am one.

mostly I’m just a pragmatist. Ideally we work towards real freedom… but for now I’d be happy if people would care enough about each other to not freak out when they cross at a crosswalk…

This is actually a bad idea - I worked for an oil company that actually cared (insomuch as being less terrible than the competition was important to us) - but we really only did anything based on money or regulatory requirements.

Reducing the regulations would not be effective in changing behavior. If you want oil companies to do something, make your choice the less economically painful option.

It is just like aviation. How many companies would staff adequately to not overwork their pilots? None. We had to have a Q400 crash for dumb reasons to collectively learn that and begin to take rest seriously - and then we still don’t give a damn about freight guys.

We have to require them to do the right thing through laws or taxes. Otherwise they won’t if the ass pain from non-compliance is less expensive than compliance. How many fines have 121 airlines been willing to pay to not do required maintenance? Oil companies are the same.

I don't believe fatigue played as big a role in that crash as the NTSB led on. They were nonstop chatter boxes (read the entire CVR - I did). Literally nonstop. They were active and engaged with each other in verbal conversations on just about every topic under the sun. Dunno about you, but when I get tired - fatigue tired - I notice that I get quiet. Dead silent. I'm not a chatter box at that point.

These two were just along for the ride pretty much the entire time. The CA was woefully incompetent and should not have been the plane that night. At the onset of the event, the FO didn't have time to process what happened - and this is where her mental fog killed her - raised the flaps. Yes there were yawns throughout the flight (and coughing), but you can't argue they weren't at least engaged to each other in conversation. If only they had been engaged to their plane.

Fedex and UPS pilots have far worse schedules than what that crew faced into BUF. Lotta those guys flip their circadian clocks and operate on less than desireable sleep and yawn in flight.

ALPA of course likes to tout no big fatal crash since Jan 1, 2014 when FAR 117 was in place. But then again, an absence of an accident does not imply a good safety culture. UPS crashed in BHM in 2013 and since then, Fedex and UPS haven't had crashes. FAR 117 was effective for pax carriers Jan 1, 2014. Going from an accident-record only, they both have similar outcomes under the new 117 rules (pax) and the old rules (cargo).

Hey everyone

Thank you for the responses. To provide a update, I ended up deciding to stay at Atlas vs leaving for Frontier. I eventually scored me a CJO recently with my number one, United! Being patient and persistent paid off for me.

Hey everyone

Thank you for the responses. To provide a update, I ended up deciding to stay at Atlas vs leaving for Frontier. I eventually scored me a CJO recently with my number one, United! Being patient and persistent paid off for me.

Congrats!

Hey everyone

Hell yeah, well done!

Back