Lear 45 Batesville runway excursion

SteveC

"Laconic"
Staff member
Hadn't noticied this one being discussed yet. November 29, landing KBVX and overran the runway.

Speed control...dude...

265 knots GS at the Final, 190 knots GS crossing the threshold...I know the 45 has great brakes, but that is just a tad unreasonable!

FFB1FE76-444F-4859-B0DC-8D1B090A70C0.jpeg

This aircraft was listed for sale recently. It used to be based at PTK, possibly a Michigan Cat aircraft.

Hadn't noticied this one being discussed yet. November 29, landing KBVX and overran the runway.

Speed control...dude...

190 knots GS crossing the threshold...

approach speed in the F-117 :)

Speed control...dude...

265 knots GS at the Final, 190 knots GS crossing the threshold...I know the 45 has great brakes, but that is just a tad unreasonable!

"You got this… You got this… You… CURRAHEEEEEE!"

Seriously though, many of us in our younger dumber days, and/or flying for operators that are shall we say….less standardized than your run of the mill US 121 shop, have pushed an approach that in retrospect we maybe should have gone around from. But how in the eff do you get to the point where you think an approach like this is ok? That’s so bad. They weren’t even slow enough to have full flaps, they touched down with flaps 20.

I think it was the Dale Earnhardt Jr wreck where the CVR recorded one pilot asking “should we go around?” the other answered “no” then they went off the end of the runway and crashed. I wonder what this one would reveal.

Here was the previous leg. I'd wager a guess, based on the track info, that they got sent around after starting the approach... But look at how the speed gets away from them when they level off after the short climb. That kind of response/awareness is similar to what might happen with pilots moving up from less powerful aircraft...

2D2F5CF6-921F-45B0-921A-79CE1083D9EC.jpeg

More detailed info here: Flight Track Log ✈ N988MC 29-Nov-2022 (KBVX-KALO) - FlightAware

The prelim has been posted and just leads to more questions.

"On November 29, 2022, about 1910 central standard time, a Learjet 45 airplane, N988MC, was substantially damaged when it was involved in an accident at Batesville Regional Airport (BVX), Batesville, Arkansas. The two pilots sustained minor injuries and the six passengers were not injured. The airplane was operated as a Title 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91 business flight.

A review of automatic dependent surveillance-broadcast (ADS-B) data revealed that the airplane departed Waterloo Regional Airport (ACO), Waterloo, Iowa, about 1757 on an instrument flight rules (IFR) flight plan and climbed to cruise at flight level (FL) 410.

During the arrival to BVX, a non-towered airport, the air traffic controller cleared the airplane for the RNAV (GPS) Rwy 8 approach and the crew cancelled IFR after visually acquiring the runway environment. The airplane crossed the final approach fix at 265 knots ADS-B groundspeed and the Runway 8 threshold at 190 knots ADS-B groundspeed.

The airplane landed about 2,000 ft past the threshold of the 6,022 ft runway, which was wet due to earlier precipitation. Tire marks consistent with intermittent braking application started about 3,021 ft from the end of the runway. Tire marks consistent with continuous anti-skid braking application began about 2,069 ft from the end of the runway and continued until the end of the runway.

The airplane exited the runway at an airspeed of about 100 knots ADS-B groundspeed, then continued forward and struck a ditch and the airport perimeter fence. During the collision with the fence the forward fuselage sustained substantial damage.

Initial examination of the airplane revealed normal flight control continuity. The spoilers were found in the deployed position, which matched the cockpit spoiler handle position (extend).

The cockpit flap handle was at the 20° position, which matched the position of the left and right flap surfaces. The airplane was retained for further examination."

Couple things stand out at me reading that report.

- There is a limitation against spoiler usage with flaps deployed.

- 250 knots is flaps 8 speed. Flaps 8 does little to nothing to actually slow the plane. It's better to use spoilers until about 190-195 then go straight to flaps 20 and gear down.

- 200 knots is flaps 20 and gear operating.

- 150 for flaps 40.

So my initial thought here is that these 2 were so fast that they used the spoilers all the way to the ground (hence the handle being at extend) in an attempt to get the plane slowed to enough for final flaps. By limitation, thats not allowed, but I don't think they cared. Other people have speculated that they extended the spoilers after touchdown, but there is no need to do so on the 45 as they are automatic.

Back