Last bid from Delta

derg

Apparently a "terse" writer
Staff member
Most junior MD-88 Captain as per last bid: NYC, seniority #7201, date of hire 3/13/98.

Weird because I'm #7089 with a hire date of 1/15/98!

Rather strange considering the the amount of pilots we have on the street and cutbacks and all.

Rumors of an impending recall, but I haven't seen anything official yet.

[ QUOTE ]
How can he bid command if he is on the street? Am I reading it wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]

I used my patented "Doug Taylor Murky Verbiage" (tm) so I went back and re-edited my initial post.

[ QUOTE ]
So does this mean you could effectively bid MD-88 Captain?

[/ QUOTE ]

Kinda.

Doug could hold the slot if a vacancy came open for a capts seat in NYC. Talkin' about a major lifestyle change....

I'm trying to get into the 757 ONT base as an F/O and got beat out by some 727 F/E over a thousand numbers junior to me. I guess he got it cause he was an upgrade and I was trying to make a sideways move and this type of bid wouldn't allow me the slot...it's very confusing and I don't really understand how it all works. There is supposed to be another type of bid out in December and hopefully I can make the move then.

Apparently, it was something similar for this 1998 hire.

He was a NYC 737-800 FO.

We're sending to 737-800's to other bases and adding in a 737-300/EFIS in that base.

He put a displacement bid in for MD-88 captain so when the 737-800's went away, and no one more senior had a displacement bid in for MD-88 captain in NYC, he was awarded it in seniority order.

We process displacement bids before we process advanced entitlement bids.

I'm seniority #7089 and the most junior international (transoceanic) FO's (today, not considering the last bid) are as follows:

NYC 767 ER: 6754
ATL 767 ER: 6187
ATL 777: 4891 (ha ha ha!)
ATL MD-11: 6921
LAX 767-400: 4864

(767ER means only the 767-300 "ER" transoceanic)

For a period of time, before the "19 Boneheads" did their thing, I was able to hold the MD-11 FO, 767ER FO.

So when does the playboying, chicks, and cocktail parties come into this equation? This all seems a lot more complex than it did on "Catch Me if You Can."

I'd better get my careerpulator spreadsheet started now so that I'll know when the planets are going to align.

wink.gif

Dave

Quick .. dumb question ...

When the furloughs hit were there any captains that got nicked or do/did the furloughs only affect FOs.

In otherwords if you're senior enough to hold a captain slot were you/are you "relatively" safe from furloughs?

I know it really depends on a lot of things but if there is a general answer I guess thats what I'm curious about.

Everything happens in reverse seniority order, regardless of what position you're in. Last in, first out!

[ QUOTE ]
Are you thinking of trying for captain anytime soon?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope! Even if I could reliably bid captain and have the seniority to maintain it, I think I'd rather get more experience learning about what type of captain I do and do not want to become.

I'm still learning from the 'good guys' and still learning from the 'not so good guys' if you know what I mean!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Are you thinking of trying for captain anytime soon?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope! Even if I could reliably bid captain and have the seniority to maintain it, I think I'd rather get more experience learning about what type of captain I do and do not want to become.

I'm still learning from the 'good guys' and still learning from the 'not so good guys' if you know what I mean!

[/ QUOTE ]

I do not know Doug - you could score more meals like Capt. Dave.

dave_meal.jpg

YUMMY!!!!!

That's actually a molded earplug that Dave used in his right ear, connected to his heatset when he was an FO.

The tube-like thing allows the earplug to block out ambient noise and is tuned to a frequency which allows the sound of a voice thru. Pretty snazzy piece of equipment!

BTW, that's my pal Dave Meehan! He was a star player on the Air Force Academy baseball team and then later went on to fly the AWACS.

Back