Last bid from Delta

That's kinda what I figured, heh heh.

What do you use for hearing protection when you're flying (professionally that is)

Wind noise

If you ever are in the front of a 727 at .84, you'll see why some guys were ear plugs. Of course I never do....what? huh?

Re: Wind noise

[ QUOTE ]
If you ever are in the front of a 727 at .84, you'll see why some guys were ear plugs. Of course I never do....what? huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear the 727 is a pretty loud aircraft... I said, I HEAR THE 727 IS A LOUD AIRCRAFT!

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless I was mistaken, I think I once saw the crew fly .86 on a LAS-ATL redeye. It was so loud that I wanted to crawl behind the engineer panel and assume the fetal position.

It is for these reasons I wear a Noise Cancelling Headset, the Telex ANR 500. I actually bought it off a Delta Pilot. At .82 it is noisy! Besides the fact that noise is very fatiguing. The ANR headset allows me alot of comfort because it is light yet works very well. I like the headset feel vs the walkman type Telex 750 series and even more so than the 5X5 ear plug type.

Give me a good headset, a good set of sunglasses and baseball hat and keep the temp cool in the cockpit and I'm happy.
cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
True about the noise and fatigue thing. I wonder why that is? Just been thinking about this lately.

[/ QUOTE ]

The most fatiguing flight I ever took was as a pax on a UH-1H Huey. 5 stops for quick turns, but the constant vibration and noise just sucked the life out of you.

i got a question as far as the seniority goes....are you able to bid any seat on any aircraft if you meet the minimum senior #...i always thought it was that you moved from the smallest to the biggest jet in the right seat then went back to the smallest jet as cap and started moving again...i know im dumb..sorry

DC --

Basically, you're correct. You can bid anything your seniority will allow you to hold with some restrictions ... for example, at most airlines once you make captain, you're not allowed to voluntarily downgrade to FO again.

There are as many reasons to bid things as there are pilots. Some guys want to make captain ASAP, and they'll fly the smallest airplane and sit reserve to do it. Others want to fly international, and they'll stay in the right seat longer to do that, or any of a hundred other reasons. When you upgrade, though, you do NOT have to go back to the smallest airplane. A person could, for example, start out as a 737 FO, bid 757 FO after a while, go to 777 FO for a while after that, and go straight to captain on the 757 if their seniority allowed without going through the 737.

FL270

I'll jump back to the wind noise tangeant. . .

John Tenney, what headset did you use in the 737?

We had those lightweight Telex jobs, which were fine as long as you kept the speed to 310 kts or lower. Unfortunately Captain Warp Speed (as I like to call him) always wanted to go right to the barber pole, which could go as high as 335. It was necessary to wear ear plugs then (which I did.)

He complained that he had to shout at me to be heard, but I said "Not My Fault, Cowboy!!!"

I miss flying the 700, but not that wind noise at 320+!!

I use Telex 5x5's with a custom-molded earpiece.

In the -88 at mach .77, you can literally hear a pin drop. The cockpit is literally quieter than an oscillating fan.

Ahhh!

The 737 is WAY LOUDER than the -88. You don't even really need headsets, but the FAA requires them in the aircraft.

The King Air BE300 is pretty average in wind sound for a PT6 turboprop at 16000ft and around 220kts. We used the Telex 5x5. The sound is not as bad as I thought it would be, but I can still understand why an ANR headset would be nicer.
The Prop Sync is a great thing to have vs. the manual sync with the prop lever in the seminole. The out of sync noise gets annyoying and tiring in those situations.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm seniority #7089 and the most junior international (transoceanic) FO's (today, not considering the last bid) are as follows:

NYC 767 ER: 6754
ATL 767 ER: 6187
ATL 777: 4891 (ha ha ha!)
ATL MD-11: 6921
LAX 767-400: 4864

(767ER means only the 767-300 "ER" transoceanic)

For a period of time, before the "19 Boneheads" did their thing, I was able to hold the MD-11 FO, 767ER FO.

[/ QUOTE ]

What I find interesting/funny is how the LAX bid is more senior than the ATL 777 bid. I guess those guys must really like flying to Hawaii (can't blame them)
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I use Telex 5x5's with a custom-molded earpiece.

[/ QUOTE ]

How much does the Telex 5x5 retail for? Or any decent Telex for that matter?

Matthew

I found an old one on ebay for $55 delivered! I think the custom earmold runs around $50.

I use the ANR 500 that I picked up for $485. The walkman style 750s go for around $250. Add ANR to that and you have the 850 for a couple hundred more.

E-bay is great when it comes to some things. I got a Plantronics MS-50(??) headset for $10 on there. The earpiece cost $7, so that's about $20 total including shipping for an $150 headset. Go E-bay!

Back