Landing with the hood popped open

eeeeeyikes!
I wonder how much it effected the aerodynamics of the aircraft.
I was flying with a buddy in an Aztec and the door popped open and even with it held closed by me, he said the airflow about the elevator was fairly serious. My father owned and Aztec and when I mentioned this episode he wasn't alarmed at all. Of course there is a significant difference in the amount of time flown by the respective pilots.
At least in this instance they were ok.

"Not too difficult for a skilled pilot"

A pilot so skilled he leaves the cowling unlatched?

Had the latch on the nose cargo door totally disintegrate in flight once - that made for an interesting flight. Glad there wasn't any work in the nose.

Another time I let my airplane sit for a few hours, never touched the nose compartment, and knew it was latched. Later that night when I started my takeoff roll the nose door popped open. Seemed a curious ramper wanted to see if I had any work up there. Lessoned learned for me. Always double check that door.

eeeeeyikes!
I wonder how much it effected the aerodynamics of the aircraft.
I was flying with a buddy in an Aztec and the door popped open and even with it held closed by me, he said the airflow about the elevator was fairly serious. My father owned and Aztec and when I mentioned this episode he wasn't alarmed at all. Of course there is a significant difference in the amount of time flown by the respective pilots.
At least in this instance they were ok.

Had this SIC once who was a great guy, but for some reason he couldn't figure out how to latch the door properly. The first time it happened, no biggie - mistakes happen. Plus, I didn't double check. The next time, I checked verbally by asking him if the door was latched prior to take off. He said it was and of course the damn thing popped open in flight. After that, I leaned over and latched it myself.

In the Baron at least, there's a mild flutter when the door pops, but it really isn't a big deal. The worst part is that initial "POP!" and "WHOOSH!" sound that scares the crap out of you. No... actually, the worst part is that all my door popping episodes were during winter. I would have smacked my SIC but my hands were so numb by the time we landed they might have shattered on contact.

Had the latch on the nose cargo door totally disintegrate in flight once - that made for an interesting flight. Glad there wasn't any work in the nose.

Another time I let my airplane sit for a few hours, never touched the nose compartment, and knew it was latched. Later that night when I started my takeoff roll the nose door popped open. Seemed a curious ramper wanted to see if I had any work up there. Lessoned learned for me. Always double check that door.

Had this SIC once who was a great guy, but for some reason he couldn't figure out how to latch the door properly. The first time it happened, no biggie - mistakes happen. Plus, I didn't double check. The next time, I checked verbally by asking him if the door was latched prior to take off. He said it was and of course the damn thing popped open in flight. After that, I leaned over and latched it myself.

In the Baron at least, there's a mild flutter when the door pops, but it really isn't a big deal. The worst part is that initial "POP!" and "WHOOSH!" sound that scares the crap out of you. No... actually, the worst part is that all my door popping episodes were during winter. I would have smacked my SIC but my hands were so numb by the time we landed they might have shattered on contact.

I had the door pop open on me a couple of times while I was flying the chieftan. The latch malfunctioned. Of course it happened while I was flying out of BFI in the winter and the outside air temperature was minus 15 C or worse and it was in solid IMC. I kept getting hit with these tiny ice pellets. Boy did they sting.:crazy:

I liked the clip on the baristas in WA better.....
So you've seen my hometown! The espresso stands in Kitsap County are in steep competition over who's baristas can wear the least. A place called "Natte Latte" started it, a stand called "Espresso Gone Wild" began the competition, and it's spiraled out of control from there. One frustrated espresso stand owner posted a sign saying "Our coffee's so good, we serve it fully clothed." I can't make this stuff up. My county really is this strange...

not a bad landing for not being able to see that well. i woulda jumped in the right seat and landed that thing with a better view,

Ditto on going to the right seat. Perhaps he had never flown on the right seat, though. He might have been really uncomfortable landing from the right side for the first time.

Back