Landing Clearance Canceled

That's odd...if you were IMC you should have received your landing clearance no later than a two mile final....must have been the controllers mistake...even if the controller could not clear you to land while another a/c was in position....in IMC conditions...a tower controller has to separate and IFR departure from and IFR arrival by ensuring that the IFR departure begins his takeoff roll before the IFR arrival to that runway reaches a point no closer than 2 miles. We have to have 2 miles increasing to 3 miles within 1 minute after departure.

So...the tower controller should have cleared the a/c on the runway for takeoff at minimum while you were on a 2.5 mile final to give the a/c on the runway adequate time to begin his takeoff roll so he could have the required separation...and as soon as the tower controller cleared the a/c for takeoff on the runway, the next transmission would be to clear you to land.

We can bend this 2 mile increasing to 3 mile rule in IFR weather when we have visual on the arriving a/c...but if you didn't break out until 400 ft, there is no way we would have had visual....

seems like there were a few discrepencies with the tower guy...but who knows.

Thanks for the input,

So - in actual fact I should have probably queried the controller a bit sooner too. Guess that one could go both ways.....
At any rate its good to know what the form is, that way I'll be mindful of it if such a situation happens again.

BP244

If I'm not certain I received a landing clearance and I'm at a 2 mile final, I would ask the tower controller...that way, if something were to come up and the tower controller couldn't clear you to land, you would have adequate time to execute a GAR.

If you break out at 400ft and there is an a/c on the runway...you would be in some hot stuff....specially if when you break out, you see the a/c rolling on the runway....your options would be very limited.

HiDef,

You are correct landing clearance canceled isn't in the books but you use it. When you previously cleared a guy to land and now you need to cancel it because you need to TIPH. <-- stupid rules I know.

A certain airport in errrrm south central texas seems to be one of the only places in the country that routinely waits until 1000 ft or less to clear arrivals to land. Not that I mind, as long as we get it eventually, but at other somewhat busy airports that have sigle runway ops I routinely get cleard to land on initial contact with tower while one or more flights get cleared for takeoff. Any reason why this particular airport with an XXX store on short final and and a beat up 747 on the north side ramp might do this?

PS: I try and get my FO's to requst runway 3 on initial contact :)

Back