Landing at the wrong airport

Zondaracer

Today, about 45 minutes ago, I was walking from my car back to my office here at KDMA, and I hear a buzzing in the sky. I look up and there's a C182RG (maybe a 172, but definitely an RG) crossing midfield, then turns downwind for 30 and puts down his/her gear, turn base, and he descended below the rooftop levels of the buildings and I lost sight of him. I hung around and didn't see him depart the runway.

Not sure what happened, but today is a safety day here and there's no flying at KDMA today.

Today, about 45 minutes ago, I was walking from my car back to my office here at KDMA, and I hear a buzzing in the sky. I look up and there's a C182RG (maybe a 172, but definitely an RG) crossing midfield, then turns downwind for 30 and puts down his/her gear, turn base, and he descended below the rooftop levels of the buildings and I lost sight of him. I hung around and didn't see him depart the runway.

Not sure what happened, but today is a safety day here and there's no flying at KDMA today.
What's a safety day?

What's a safety day?

In the Air Force, it's when flying ops are suspended and there are all sorts of cool "safety" related activities. Usually the airfield will be closed, however in the NOTAMS, it's not listed as closed. If there are multiple commands (or ANG, Reserves, etc) the field will often NOT close since it's rare that EVERYONE will do a safety down day.

Or maybe he/she had a PPR or an emergency. Could be about 128 reasons.

Or maybe he/she had a PPR or an emergency. Could be about 128 reasons.

Could be, but KTUS is only 5 miles away, and this guy definitely setup a pattern. KTUS's main runway is also (mostly) parallel to DM's

As far as the "cool" safety day activities, we had a cardboard boat race at the pool, that's always cool

I'm pretty sure that's a Customs & Border Patrol plane based at DMA. I thought the same thing the first time I saw a light aircraft land on base, but MikeD informed me that there are several CBP aircraft operating there. He's with the agency so he can probably give you more specifics...

KTUS's main runway is also (mostly) parallel to DM's

I've been told that the runways are in fact parallel but they are numbered slightly different (11 & 29 at TUS, 12 & 30 at DMA) to help keep the unwitting from landing at the wrong field. Having flown in from the north several times, I can say that DMA is very easy to pick out due to the large area around the runway and the AMARG boneyard. TUS tends to hide behind the Tucson Mountains until you get within 5-10 miles of A-Mountain.

I'm pretty sure that's a Customs & Border Patrol plane based at DMA. I thought the same thing the first time I saw a light aircraft land on base, but MikeD informed me that there are several CBP aircraft operating there. He's with the agency so he can probably give you more specifics...

Hey you're right I drove by their hanger and saw them. Thanks for the tip

Safety stand down in the Air Force = Airmen having fun. (cardboard boat races?)

Safety stand down in the USMC = Marines hating life (45-60 minute classes on the completely obvious)

I've been told that the runways are in fact parallel but they are numbered slightly different (11 & 29 at TUS, 12 & 30 at DMA) to help keep the unwitting from landing at the wrong field.

Middle Georgia Regional (MCN) and Robbins Air Force Base (WRB) have a similar problem. 13/31 at MCN is somewhat aligned with 15/33 at WRB, and is only about 3 miles away to boot. Depending on the direction you are coming in from, I can see how someone may get the two confused at a distance.

When I toured the tower at Macon years ago, one of the controllers said that more than a couple of airplanes would start to enter the pattern at Robbins by mistake. Nobody actually landed there after seeing the much larger runway at the Air Force base.

Wow my bases safety days arnt anything fun, we usually sit around being told not to drink and drive, let your supervisor know where your going if you go camping or hiking and to get high risk event briefings. Then once all the briefings are done after lunch we try to scam our way out of work since the airfield is closed :nana2:

Its not the old T-210 heavy they use to have at NI NAS is it? The back seat had a great view, a huge observation window on the back left side.

Yes, there's one with the large observation window mod. Pretty cool.

Yes, there's one with the large observation window mod. Pretty cool.

I was talking to the guys at North Island in the mid 90s and they told me they called it a 210 heavy because between the radio gear, fuel, pilot, observer and other toys, it was pretty much over gross whenever it flew.

I did like that window though

Back