Landing Accident from Inside the Cockpit

No who is his right mind with a power line so close to the runway does not put a displaced threshold on the runway or uses the magic balls on the powerlineso_O.........

I'm guessing the guy flying the accident aircraft ISN'T the owner of the field. Who's to say the owner doesn't use the line of trees that he's cut down about 1/3 of the way down the runway as his "displaced threshold"?

I'm guessing the guy flying the accident aircraft ISN'T the owner of the field. Who's to say the owner doesn't use the line of trees that he's cut down about 1/3 of the way down the runway as his "displaced threshold"?

Probably the guy on the Kitfox did not had the current IFR charts for the field.........:smoke:

Why drag the approach?

I'm actually thinking the "right" way to fly this approach is to drop it in just after the trees and go under the power line.... but maybe that's just my wanna-be-ag-pilot alter ego thinking...

I'm actually thinking the "right" way to fly this approach is to drop it in just after the trees and go under the power line.... but maybe that's just my wanna-be-ag-pilot alter ego thinking...

There's a grass strip over on the eastern shore of VA that hosts a "Soup-on-Sunday" lunch event almost every Sunday that the weather is nice. The owner of the field comes up with some pretty creative April Fools pranks every year. A few years ago, it was about the power lines at the approach end of one of the runways. It was said that the power company was going to raise the lines by 278' to allow landing traffic to go under them.

_wsb_504x363_PowerLine1.JPG

prank.jpg

There's a grass strip over on the eastern shore of VA that hosts a "Soup-on-Sunday" lunch event almost every Sunday that the weather is nice. The owner of the field comes up with some pretty creative April Fools pranks every year. A few years ago, it was about the power lines at the approach end of one of the runways. It was said that the power company was going to raise the lines by 278' to allow landing traffic to go under them.

_wsb_504x363_PowerLine1.JPG

prank.jpg

That for sure will be the pilot's limbo dance..............:eek2:

Wait... so a gust of wind lifted him off the ground, and then a gust of wind tossed him into the trees?

Damn that wind!

Seriously, though. Gust of wind or not, there's no way I would have continued that takeoff when it was crystal clear that things were not going as expected.

And wait-a-tic. Was about to abort? Sorry... but I think it's pretty apparent that the pilot was intent on getting the aircraft off the ground, even if only by wishes, fairy tales, and a whole heap of "I Think I Can, I Think I Can, I Think I Can!"

Back