LA-LAS in June?

ChasenSFO

hen teaser
I'll be in LA in June for the E3 videogame convention then I'm going straight to Vegas for EDC right after. But airfare is CRAY CRAY, like $400 roundtrip(LAX-LAS-SFO) when it's normally $150ish! Hell, even Allegiant is charging close to $400 from Cali to Vegas.

I figure if my wallet is going to bend over and take a savage sexual assault, I might as well get some time out of it. Thus, I figured I'd see if anyone wants to split some safety pilot time for an XC from the LA area to LAS? We can split it even and I could easily fill 3-5 seats depending on what kind of plane we'd be taking. It's looking likely that I'll have at least a few smaller girls with me so weight shouldn't be an issue, but if we split it all up it'd be pretty cheap for the one-way. This would be Friday June 19th, leaving late morning/early afternoon wx permitting.

For the flight back I'm going commercial back to the Bay Area for sure, however, so this would be a one way deal. I will be in no condition to fly an airplane on the way back, or do anything but collapse and sleep in one really.

Let me know. It'd be a lot of fun.

You should just get your high performance and rent a 206 from somewhere. You could fit like 20 Asian girls in one of those things.

so where is the plane coming from
Nooooo clue. Just seeing if that would work out for someone who rents/owns in Socal or Vegas to have a dirt cheap XC one-way with safety time if they didn't mind going back on their own. If it works out, great. If not, I'll buy a ticket. Never hurts to axe.

I wish there was some kind of nationwide aircraft rental agency where you could drop planes off in different cities. It'd make a lot of sense for one-way rentals where people airline or drive the other direction or for people who want to spend several days somewhere without paying the usually 4-hour/24 hour period rental fees and what not.

Honestly man your looking at giving someone only 25% off a rental. For the 1.5-2 hours of time its not really worth it especially if you want to bring people. The rental market is really only full of 172's and 182's so pending your safety pilots rental choice your looking at being able to bring maybe 2 pax. No one is renting any 5+ seaters and you're not going to want to spilt that gas money on anything that does anyway.

Not that it helps too much, but Southwest will do that trip for about 300 bucks on that date coming home on monday.

I'll ask around the flight school in LGB for you either way.

I'd do it but I'd charge 300 for the day plus airplane, fuel, airport fees and lunch at the Bellagio. Corporate pilots aren't cheap, plus I'm already working that day :)

Honestly man your looking at giving someone only 25% off a rental. For the 1.5-2 hours of time its not really worth it especially if you want to bring people. The rental market is really only full of 172's and 182's so pending your safety pilots rental choice your looking at being able to bring maybe 2 pax. No one is renting any 5+ seaters and you're not going to want to spilt that gas money on anything that does anyway.

Not that it helps too much, but Southwest will do that trip for about 300 bucks on that date coming home on monday.

I'll ask around the flight school in LGB for you either way.

I'd do it but I'd charge 300 for the day plus airplane, fuel, airport fees and lunch at the Bellagio. Corporate pilots aren't cheap, plus I'm already working that day :)
Say the flight is 3 hours roundtrip and they get a Piper which can take 4 people easy. That means 1.5 of that XC time is split up 4 ways, and they only pay full rental rate for the flight back. Say the plane is $129 wet, that means they'd pay $242 for the flight vs $387 for 3 hours of solo XC and some hood time to boot. Makes sense to me anyway, if the right person wanted to do it. I've known people to do similar out here, but I figured it was a long shot either way. Should it work out for someone, it'd be a fun and productive way to get there and much more memorable than an airline flight. Otherwise, I'll probably just fly Virgin America LAX-LAS-SFO.

Thanks for asking around though man, appreciate it.

Back