L-39 Gear Up

From what I can see from the video, the crash truck approaches from the right rear quarter (canopy protected side), and shoots the ground behind the jet. That's a method of foam/water application known as "rolling on", in this case, an attempt to push foam/water underneath the jet to cool the underside from the friction of the belly landing, as there could be leaking fluids/fuel not yet seen and not yet ignited. There's a delay, which I take it is the time it took for the crew to ground egress, then another foam application in a fog (wide) pattern over the aircraft (raining-on application pattern). Seemed sound to me, as they are not shooting the cockpit with a straight-stream of high pressure foam/water, so thats good. My priorities would be to get the initial roll on shot like they did, then get a rescue crewman in there to ensure the seats are safe (if hot ejection seats), and assist in the egress, while simultaneously pulling a handline for fire guard.

Seemed handled fine. My only question is, why was there a ladder truck on scene? :)

Last edited:
Back