Known Crewmember...

It’s the same people that adamantly want “crew” on their badges. I get the whole joint operational control aspect of things and being an ACM as a jumpseater,but if you want crew on your badge so badly become a pilot or FA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Operational control aside, "CREW" on your badge is a godsend for all the dispatcher at regional and cargo airlines. When I was at a regional cargo, TSA had to google my airline more than once just to let me through security, even at airports my company flew. As soon as "CREW" was added to the badge, TSA would actually let me through checkpoints with just the badge and sometimes asked for a gov ID (Passport or Driver Licence) When most airlines you jumpseat with make you go to the to the gate to list, its becomes a Sisyphean task for TSA to demand a ticket to go through the checkpoint and Delta/United/Southwest/American not listing you at the ticket counter

Operational control aside, "CREW" on your badge is a godsend for all the dispatcher at regional and cargo airlines. When I was at a regional cargo, TSA had to google my airline more than once just to let me through security, even at airports my company flew. As soon as "CREW" was added to the badge, TSA would actually let me through checkpoints with just the badge and sometimes asked for a gov ID (Passport or Driver Licence) When most airlines you jumpseat with make you go to the to the gate to list, its becomes a Sisyphean task for TSA to demand a ticket to go through the checkpoint and Delta/United/Southwest/American not listing you at the ticket counter
Delta? Who on Earth is that? A part of the phonetic alphabet as an airline name? Sounds made up to me. Yeah, our name is Uniform Air Lines. :)

I personally never understood the push for KCM for us. I’ve got precheck and it takes me all of five minutes to get through, except once where it took me fifteen (morning departure bank from ORD in the middle in July). Otherwise I’m flying out of smaller airports where they don’t have precheck and it takes me all of two minutes to get through.

CLEAR is a nice addition to PreCheck because they take you to the front of the line once they verify your identity. Also you don't need to have any government ID with you as your identity has already been verified when you sign up when they enter your biometrics. Not a must-have or anything but if you fly out of busy airports like I often do it can save time.

CLEAR is a nice addition to PreCheck because they take you to the front of the line once they verify your identity. Also you don't need to have any government ID with you as your identity has already been verified when you sign up when they enter your biometrics. Not a must-have or anything but if you fly out of busy airports like I often do it can save time.

I did the CLEAR trial back in January right before the end times started. I found it didn’t really save me any more than 2-3 minutes versus just precheck. Couldn’t justify the $180 or whatever it is annual fee for it.

Did (does) anyone do their annuals in a formal attire, or was (am) I just insane? It was always a sports coat and dress pants for the FAM ride, sometimes a tie if it was jumpseating on OAL. I'd do the trip home to Philly often enough that TSA at Term F knew me on a first name basis. Who needs KCM at that point? :)

Did (does) anyone do their annuals in a formal attire, or was (am) I just insane? It was always a sports coat and dress pants for the FAM ride, sometimes a tie if it was jumpseating on OAL. I'd do the trip home to Philly often enough that TSA at Term F knew me on a first name basis. Who needs KCM at that point? :)

I tried this when I was beginning my dispatch career only to find that standards had relaxed greatly, even back then (20+ years ago.) Nowadays I just wear a company polo shirt that says "Network Operations Control" on it and Dockers.

Last edited:
Yeah, I usually just show up in khaki colored jeans and a (sometimes) tucked in button down. Never had an issue.

Also, no need for us dispatchers to have KCM. Would be nice if I could use my airline ID which is always around my neck, but my passport is in my pocket and not a huge deal to get out.

I would love to see the ADF push for a Dispatcher uniform. Pilot shirt with epaulettes that have 2 stripes and say “DX” in big gold letters.

Global entry yes. Clear is almost $200 annually

I get a work discount so it's about $100 a year for me....which is probably about the max of what I would pay. So yeah, probably not worth it for full price. However, for those times when you're running late out of Vegas and there's a big line in the PreCheck lane it is nice to have - even though those times are fairly rare right now.

On a positive note for the industry, I took a weekend trip recently and both flights were fairly full both ways (hub to hub) on a 777-200. Hopefully this is a good sign for air travel beginning to make a comeback.

I did the CLEAR trial back in January right before the end times started. I found it didn’t really save me any more than 2-3 minutes versus just precheck. Couldn’t justify the $180 or whatever it is annual fee for it.

Global entry yes. Clear is almost $200 annually

I get a work discount so it's about $100 a year for me....which is probably about the max of what I would pay. So yeah, probably not worth it for full price. However, for those times when you're running late out of Vegas and there's a big line in the PreCheck lane it is nice to have - even though those times are fairly rare right now.

On a positive note for the industry, I took a weekend trip recently and both flights were fairly full both ways (hub to hub) on a 777-200. Hopefully this is a good sign for air travel beginning to make a comeback.

Clear is also available for $119/year for any Delta SkyMiles member or United MileagePlus member - both of which are free to sign up for if you don't already have an account. If you have any level of status other than Diamond/1K or even just one of the Delta/United credit cards, the price goes down to $109/year. If you are Diamond/1K, Clear's free - for now.

I would love to see the ADF push for a Dispatcher uniform. Pilot shirt with epaulettes that have 2 stripes and say “DX” in big gold letters.
Regs say joint operational control with the PIC, so joint 4 bars with an added DX? Something like [ IIDXII ]. I'm sure that power wouldn't go to my head haha.

This is the dumbest thread ever. Any idea that involves me having to wear a costume is stupid.

Would I sell you on it more if I told you that you could wear a state trooper hat instead of the traditional pilot hat?

Would I sell you on it more if I told you that you could wear a state trooper hat instead of the traditional pilot hat?

1600827184019.gif

Try going anywhere outside on the USA on your own metal in the jumpseat and you will instantly understand why CREW on your ID is necessary.
There is no doubt in my mind that having "CREW" on my badge made jumpseating on LH, SAA, and flying cargo out of ANC, HKG, NGO, and ICN an even more painless experience than going thru the CLEAR line in ATL last summer.

If you include brush epaulets and at least 6 rows of ribbons, I'm in.
Holy crap. My dude! I’ve been pushing for years to get ribbons on pilot shirts. I mean if we have to wear the stupid thing let’s at least do it right.

I’m thinking we could have ribbons for various feats like perfect attendance, shooting a cat 3 approach, completing 100 overnights a year, and Chief Pilot’s appreciation.

Back